Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable Power???  (Read 7373 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 04:24:08 AM »

Seriously if you are that insecure and unsure about it you do not need to be handling any gas.

So you're suggesting that the two rational choices are either NEVER to handle gasoline, or to ignore safety guidelines if you DO handle it?

This thread is turning into farce.  :-/
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 04:35:30 AM »

Seriously if you are that insecure and unsure about it you do not need to be handling any gas.

So you're suggesting that the two rational choices are either NEVER to handle gasoline, or to ignore safety guidelines if you DO handle it?

No.

I think the message is that safety rules don't apply to everybody.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »

No.

I think the message is that safety rules don't apply to everybody.

No it only applies to those that lack common sense and ability to walk and chew gum at same time and those that need instructions on how to even use a ladder or stool because some safety rules are for the incompetent to protect manufacture from litigation.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »

W8JX,

Again, your posting about jet fuels, military experience, fireplaces, etc are irrelevant,
the fact that refueling a running genset it relevant and is a safety hazard.
Your military service, experience, education, etc are fact, as is MSDS and
safety procedures for refueling a generator.

I think you just described yourself!

>No it only applies to those that lack common sense and ability to walk and chew gum at
same time and those that need instructions on how to even use a ladder or stool because
some safety rules are for the incompetent to protect manufacture from litigation.

Do yourself a big favor, visit the burn unit at your local hospital and see what can happen when
thing go wrong very fast.

Be safe and I'm done here.

73 james
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »

Do yourself a big favor, visit the burn unit at your local hospital and see what can happen when
thing go wrong very fast.

Been to Wilford Hall many years ago to visit (AirForce's burn unit in Texas)

It can be done safely if you know what you are doing. If you do not, stay away.

I have had some incredibly large bonfires over the last 26+ years burning brush and trees cleared a chain saw, a dozer or a loader (usually have a few a year and have had flames go 30+ ft in air )  Never had one even think about getting out of control because I always control the conditions I burn in (temperature, wind, humidity) just like I control conditions when and how I refuel.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 03:02:56 AM »

I always control the conditions I burn in (temperature, wind, humidity) just like I control conditions when and how I refuel.

What could possibly go wrong?

73 de Jim, N2EY
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2011, 05:26:53 AM »

I always control the conditions I burn in (temperature, wind, humidity) just like I control conditions when and how I refuel.

What could possibly go wrong?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Given that there is woods brush very nearby at time I always do it when there is zero wind as many of the fires have been piles greater than 15 feet in diameter and sometimes generate a lot of floating embers that I do not want blown into consumables and it can get so hot you cannot get within 20 feet or more at times. I also do it in evening as humidity is starting to rise which dampens grass and slows fire a bit. I also use a accelerant to get a a quick intense burn to consume everything so it is mostly coals and embers in a few hours or less and can be safely left. One time I had a pile 40 feet long and 20 feet wide and 15 feet high with trees and brush I took down with a dozer cutting a road through woods. It took 3 burns and re-piling with tractor over a few month to get it fully burned. I do not let piles get that big anymore. I like fires that will burn very hot and consume everything (except my woods and grass). I will not burn either if I feel vegetation is too dry due to lack of rainfall.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:58 AM »

BTW, for those not adverse to filling a generator while running, get one of more of containers listed below. I have a few of them in different sizes and like them a lot. They will not spill on a fill and require a button to be depressed to flow fuel and will stop instantly and not leak even under pressure. I do recommend you burp the pressure before if you suspect it has some in it or gas may briefly come out under a pressure. I use a small translucent white one with chain saw and leaf blower and such as I can see/confirm that it is premix fuel.

http://www.nospill.com/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:00:49 AM by W8JX » Logged

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »

W8JX,

so you're telling us that you have control over
the weather in your area?

If you have this type of control ability you must
get a patent and license your technology!

73 james

It can be done safely if you know what you are doing. If you do not, stay away.

I always control the conditions I burn in (temperature, wind, humidity)
just like I control conditions when and how I refuel.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »

so you're telling us that you have control over
the weather in your area?

Since when is learning to"read" the weather and work with it on when you burn rather than fighting it and hoping for the best considered controlling it?Huh?

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »

hi,

Your own words,

"I always control the conditions I burn in (temperature, wind, humidity)"

We have no control over these conditions, things can change quickly,
on land, sea or in the air.

73 james
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2011, 04:45:27 AM »

hi,

Your own words,

73 james

By choosing the conditions you perform a burn in you are controlling the conditions in which you burn not controlling weather but you can twist it anyway you want.

K8IO

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »

Your own words,

73 james
[/quote]

By choosing the conditions you perform a burn in you are controlling the conditions in which you burn not controlling weather but you can twist it anyway you want.
[/quote]
 Roll Eyes
I think someone here is arguing because they like to.
That said, There are many risks one takes in life. If you accept the risk then it is YOUR business. I have on occasion refuled my generator "HOT". But it has been a critical situation. And my Honda EX 5500 generator is enclosed in a soundproof enclosure, it has a fuel catch basin is water cooled and has a USFS approved spark arresting muffler. SO I weigh the risk vs the reward. And as an enlightened individual I accept the good with the bad. Would I try a refuel on an open frame air cooled genny screaming away with the fuel tank a scant few inches from the motor exhaust and spark plug. Likely not. But I would not have one of those on a critical load either.
K8IO
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:31:12 AM by K8IO » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2011, 08:51:20 AM »

I think someone here is arguing because they like to.
That said, There are many risks one takes in life. If you accept the risk then it is YOUR business. I have on occasion refuled my generator "HOT". But it has been a critical situation. And my Honda EFX 5500 generator is enclosed in a soundproof enclosure, it has a fuel catch basin is water cooled and has a USFS approved spark arresting muffler. SO I weigh the risk vs the reward. And as an enlightened individual I accept the good with the bad. Would I try a refuel on an open frame air cooled genny screaming away with the fuel tank a scant few inches from the fuel tank. Likely not. But I would not have one of those on a critical load either.
K8IO

Yes some do. If you have a sloppy fuel jug that you cannot control flow on or try to fill to full a running generator can have risks. You should check out nospill.com

N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:10 AM »

BTW, for those not adverse to filling a generator while running, get one of more of containers listed below. I have a few of them in different sizes and like them a lot. They will not spill on a fill and require a button to be depressed to flow fuel and will stop instantly and not leak even under pressure. I do recommend you burp the pressure before if you suspect it has some in it or gas may briefly come out under a pressure. I use a small translucent white one with chain saw and leaf blower and such as I can see/confirm that it is premix fuel.

http://www.nospill.com/

I tried to visit their website.... main page loads, but all other pages... INCLUDING A DEALER LISTING, only load a blank page with their logo and say "more details coming soon"...  kind of hard to buy one when they don't sell direct, and their website won't display where you can get one.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: