Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximum Power for Techs  (Read 9096 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »

Helping son cram for technician class test a week off. License manual hasn't arrived from the League (Why does it take them 8 days to drop it in the mail?)

I'm not certain about the max power a tech can use. I see some online sources (mostly older ones) that say 1500 PEP and some other sources that say 200. Which is it?
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:45:24 AM »

From the FCC website (http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=about_3&id=amateur#Technician)

Technician
The privileges of a Technician Class operator license include operating an amateur station that may transmit on channels in any of 17 frequency bands above 50 MHz with up to 1,500 watts of power. To pass the Technician Class examination, at least 26 questions from a 35 question written examination must be answered correctly. Technician Class licensees also have privileges in four amateur service bands in the HF range (3-30 MHz) (Refer to Section 97.301(e)).

Hope that helps!

Bert, KA2UUP
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 10:15:08 AM »

What is the technician class power limit on HF, 200 watts on 80 CW, 40 CW and 10, correct?

Am I correct that techs can run 1500 w on 6 and 2?

KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »

What is the technician class power limit on HF, 200 watts on 80 CW, 40 CW and 10, correct?
15m CW as well.
Take a look HERE.

p.s. The study guides are all over the internet & downloadable. I would encourage him, if possible, to look over the General material as well and sit that exam at the same after Dad pats him on the back for passing the Tech.
 Wink
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:52:24 AM by KC9TNH » Logged

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »

There's too much licensing info on the web with much of it outdated and some, published by clubs, inaccurate. I do have that chart (actually on my shack wall) but it contains a huge amount of data and covers all classes and all bands. I was just looking for a concise statement of tech power limits. Yes, he'll take the General. The ironic thing is he has almost no time to study for the ham test because he's an EE student! Thanks.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/part-97-amateur-radio

Look at subpart D, 97.313 Transmitter Power Standards

A Tech is limited to 200W PEP on his authorized HF bands (below 30MHz) and 1500W PEP on 50MHz and above. There are some additional limitations in certain geographical areas that apply to all license classes.

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »

That makes sense?? Limit them to 200 watts on HF, but let them run legal limit on 10ghz where they can cause some real damage.  Government logic in action.

73s John AA5JG

Anyone running much more than a brick amp on VHF/UHF/SHF is likely going to know what they're doing, as the scarcity/expense/homebrew knowledge required will weed out anyone else. When's the last time you saw a klystron or TWT setup for sale on Craigslist? Tongue

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »

There's too much licensing info on the web with much of it outdated and some, published by clubs, inaccurate.

Why not bypass all that and go right to the source?

Both FCC and ARRL have Part 97 on their websites free-for-the-download. The current rules in a variety of searchable formats.

IMHO every US ham with internet access should have a copy of the current Part 97.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »

Why not simply download the US Amateur Radio Bands Chart from the ARRL. It has all the information on power outputs and frequency's for all the Amateur license bands. I keep one on my wall in my shack for reference.

73s

K2OWL
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »

There's too much licensing info on the web with much of it outdated and some, published by clubs, inaccurate.

Why not bypass all that and go right to the source?

That's the best advice and I appreciate the link. But as AA5JG said, the tech power limits aren't all that intuitive to some of us. In any event we now have the ARRL Q&A books.

My son may be the least prepared person to ever take a ham test. He'll be lucky to put a few hours into it. (he's at Busch Stadium right now watching the World Series).

K0OD  St. Louis

W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 07:22:38 AM »

AN important thing to remember about licensing tests (for hams or otherwise).  You don't need a perfect score.  There is *always* some unintuitive oddball information that might be there. After flailing a bit, I realized that I'd never remember all the band edge frequencies, but I also realized that, at most, there would be 2 questions on the topic, and I was confident I could answer ALL the rest correctly.

Don't worry, be happy, pass the test.

KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »

My son may be the least prepared person to ever take a ham test. He'll be lucky to put a few hours into it. (he's at Busch Stadium right now watching the World Series).

K0OD  St. Louis
Did you get his heart re-started?

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »

Quote from: K0OD on Yesterday at 06:27:12 PM

K0OD  St. Louis
Did you get his heart re-started?

Two sons went to the game @ $200 a ticket! Younger kid actually played baseball for the same JUCO where David Freese played a couple of years earlier. He's been to maybe 100 pro games, quite a few playoffs and a couple of World Series and many hundreds of others from minor leagues down to t-ball. But last night's game takes the prize for excitement.  

BTW, he just got off the computer trying to find one ticket for tonight's game. Gave up.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:25:25 PM by K0OD » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »

K0OD  St. Louis

How NOT to do the test: Total study time maybe four hours. He was at Busch Stadium the last two nights until very late. Little sleep. We pull into the parking lot for the test and there are still 20-30 pages in the Q&A book he hasn't even glanced at. With 5 minutes to go he's cramming in the car and sighs, "Wow, there are sure a lot of questions!"

But he passed!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:48:06 PM by K0OD » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 08:27:26 AM »

Test was last Saturday and license showed up today, six days later, on N4MC's site: KD0PXB. Eham's Call Search doesn't show it yet.

I presume that mouthful can now be exchanged for a 1X3, right?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: