Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition Noise 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 with Yaesu FT857D  (Read 1582 times)
WI5O

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »

My FT857D is picking up strong ignition noise on most HF bands in my 2011 GMC Sierra 1500.  When I accelerate, the noise picks up.  With my engine off but my ignition key turned on, the noise goes away.  So it seems this is a noise problem with the engine running.  I've even disconnected both antennas to make sure they were not a problem.

My radio is mounted under the rear seat but it is mounted to the plastic tray under the seat.  The power is direct from the battery positive and negative leads as per General Motors. 

I've read over K0BJ's web site (great resource) but I am eager to hear from other 2009-2011 GMC Sierra Owners as well who experienced the same problem and how they fixed it.
N9GGG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »

this maybe a leaking alternator you can get a inline noise noise filter also could be noise from spark plugs .......I'd try the noise filter also make sure you have good body grounds for antenna and radio.....
WB6RXG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »

Are you sure it's ignition noise?

I currently own a 2007 GMC K1500HD that doesn't exhibit the problem.  I owned a 1990 Chevy K1500 that made what sounded like ignition noise until I noticed that it changed not only with engine speed but also with load.  Push the throttle harder climbing a hill and the rate increaed without an increase in RPMs.  Release the throttle on a downhill and the noise stopped altogether.  It turned out to be the fuel injectors generating back EMF from the injection pulse going through the injector solenoid winding.

Just something to consider.

Stuart
WI5O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty sure it is ignition noise.  I've visited K0BG.com and listened to all the audio recordings.  It is pretty much just like the ignition noise recording.  I can record the noise and post it if you like.  Here's what I am going to do.  I've started isolating whatever it might be and taking notes for each thing I've done.  I don't get the noise from the VHF/UHF side, just the HF side and it is from about 3 MHZ to about 28.00 MHZ.  Seems that 6 meters is not very affected as I hear very little of this noise.  I took your advice and listened for the sound under load.  My noise seems to always increase with an increase in acceleration.  It does not stop on idle downhill.  It's there and its strong.  I've disconnected coaxes from the radio and the noise stop.  there is no noise with the VHF/UHF coax connected though.  This noise only happens when the engine is running.  I get absolutely no noise with the engine off or just with the ignition key turned to on or accessory positions.

I am still going to ground strap (bond) the tail pipe somehow yet and possibly ferrite core the coaxes at both ends and also he power cords.  I probably will install a grounding strap between the hood and the firewall metal.  Other than that, I am going to keep trying things.  thanks so much for your input. I will continue to look at everyone's input until I figure this out.  Once I do, of course I'll post all my notes for others that might have this problem in the future.   

best,

Phillip WI5O

Are you sure it's ignition noise?

I currently own a 2007 GMC K1500HD that doesn't exhibit the problem.  I owned a 1990 Chevy K1500 that made what sounded like ignition noise until I noticed that it changed not only with engine speed but also with load.  Push the throttle harder climbing a hill and the rate increaed without an increase in RPMs.  Release the throttle on a downhill and the noise stopped altogether.  It turned out to be the fuel injectors generating back EMF from the injection pulse going through the injector solenoid winding.

Just something to consider.

Stuart
WI5O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

Does not exhibit the whine of an alternator.  Sounds much more like ignition noise.  You can listen at both at K0BG's web site under NOISE ID.  Its a pain though.  Still going  through everything I can to isolate the trouble.  Thanks for the input! 

this maybe a leaking alternator you can get a inline noise noise filter also could be noise from spark plugs .......I'd try the noise filter also make sure you have good body grounds for antenna and radio.....
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »

First disconnect the antenna and either connect a known good dummy load or short the antenna jack.  Do you still have the noise?  If yes, it is incoming via the power leads or the ground.  If no, the noise is incoming via the antenna and you can start planning and filtering from there.
Power leads can be shielded and filtered.  Running directly to the battery terminals will help with this problem.
If it is radiated spark plug noise the problem becomes harder... mainly because of the voltages now used in today's ignition systems.  Bonding the hood and trunks, etc grounds will help shield the ignition wires but this becomes more work.  The old "shielded ignition system" used in the good old days does not work with today's ignition systems!
Good luck with the project!
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: