Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yagi on top of tower. How did you do it??  (Read 1777 times)
NT6U

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »

I am considering the purchase of Universal B-26 series aluminum tower or U.S. crank up tower 40'-0" min.  Has anyone used the tilt base with the Universal tower? Seems dangerous to me from the website to tilt over without winch. Am I missing something?  The U.S. crank up with tilt over, is a no brain-er yet more expensive.  Can I climb the B-26 aluminum? do you tilt over the B-26?   I am going to run 10'-0" SQ. FT. antenna +/- with thrust bearing and rotor.  I am in construction for an occupation with much respect and experience for climbing "STUFF" with a load, as well the brains to say NO. I would appreciate any tips, knowledge and free advise.  Thanks 73, NT6U.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »

The Universal towers are light weight and not really what you would like to climb.  So the
antenna is installed when the tower is tilted over and then tower, beam and all are raised up.
Check the weight of the towers in their catalog and compare with others and you will see
what I mean.  Of course heavier towers which are designed to be used with a winch and
either lowered or leaned over are much stronger, have higher utility and cost a lot more.
A small light weight tribander, rotor and thrust bearing are about all the smaller towers can
take.
Good Luck
Allen
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:54:12 AM »

I wouldn't climb the aluminum tower, either.  Tilt it up with everything assembled or secure it in its vertical position and use a bucket truck nearby to add the antennas.

The U.S. tower "webbed" (3-legged) extendable towers are climbable once installed as long as they're "nested" and "chocked" so nothing can move while you're on the tower.  But they're certainly strong enough to climb, I do it all the time.  The tubular towers obviously are not climbable.

NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »

Thank you for the information, It is clear that I must tilt and raise the antenna system with the aluminum tower.  Now I am curious how difficult is it to raise with the 40 or even 50 foot model with a HY-GAIN TH11 or some other large size yagi.  That seems to be allot of cantilevered weight. 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »

It's not only a lot of weight, but it's also "big" and would require installing the beam on the tower while the tower is at a tilt well above horizontal, to make room for the elements or the boom.  If the boom (safer), the top of the tower will have to be at least 12' above ground when it's "laying over."  That's pretty high.

I'd install the tower without the beam, secure it well, and call a bucket truck to visit for the actual beam installation.  If the area around the tower is clear and not full of trees and stuff, that would go very fast.  It must be clear in at least one direction, or you'd never be able to "tilt" the tower up with the beam on it.
KM4RO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 06:19:01 AM »

I have a 30' B 18 Universal Tower with a Mosley Classic 33. Everything I have is about half the size of your project but here is my experience with Universal. You won't be able to "walk" it up especially with that Hygain antenna. I attached a cable close to the top that could be attached to a winch or to a trailer hitch on a car or truck. You would probably want to hire a tow truck to raise it all up. Installing the rotor inside the tower will take some weight off the top. Try to install it as close to the ground as possible. Also with Universal make sure your rotor will fit in the section you want. I bought the wrong sized rotor plate and my rotor wouldn't fit in that tower section. With a taller tower you should probably use 2 winch cables.

When I lower the tower I let it rest on a 10' tower section and work from a tall stepladder.

Take into account any trees near the antenna and the length of your antenna elements. I had to cut down a 25' maple that grew into the area of the antenna. That tree looked harmless in 1995 when I put up the tower!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: