Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HTX-10 ok with cigarette outlet plug?  (Read 1785 times)
K3BAK

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »

With 10 meters heating up I plan to run my HTX-10 mobile in my Xterra. I don't want to permanently mount it in my vehicle since I already have my FT-7900 mounted. I looked at the manual and it says its max amp draw is 5 amps on SSB. Should I be ok running this rig thru the cigarette outlet? I have a 12 VDC line ran to the battery with 15 amps fuses for the FT-7900 already. I'd like to be able to run both rigs at the same time and not have to worry about swapping power back and forth. I'm pretty sure the fuse for my outlet is 10 amp so my biggest concern is will powering it thru the outlet cause an increase in noise etc?

Thanks

Brian
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »

Though the ciggie lighter is do-able, but as you say, it will bring up the noise. If the 10 metre radio is to be permanent, then tee into the direct power line(remembering to pull the in-line fuses first). Then again, tee into it anyway.

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

A cigarette lighter plug is not meant to supply steady current for anything.  Use of one for chargers, i-pods, etc. is about the most that should be drawn out of one constantly--and those things take less than an amp.

Best bet is being better safe than sorry.  Tap into the wireing you've got running to your battery now for your other rig.  You're not going to be transmitting on both at the same time, and that power wire is much, MUCH better to run the HTX-10 off of than a cigarette lighter connection..
K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I will have to get or make a splitter then. The way it is set up now is 15 amp fuses at the battery running 12 gauge wire through the firewall to the powerpole. Then I have the FT-7900 running directly into the the powerpole. The 15 amp fuses I used are the ones from the radio itself. I wasnt able to use the factory wiring in my setup so I made my own. I agree with Chris at max power the htx-10 will draw 5 amps and the ft-7900 on RX is 0.5 amps and full power its only 8.5. Thanks for the help guys!
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:38:09 AM »

Measure the current draw of the HTX-10, then decide.
The lighter plug wiring is designed for about 7-10 amps maximum.  You will probably want to run a wire direct to the battery for noise purposes, anyway!
73s.

-Mike.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »

I used some  crimp on adapters on my car. kind of like the ones they used to use on the uhal trailers.  just figure out a way to add the  new one to the old  existing power, and remember that to monitor boh is fine but only transmit on one or the other, nit both.  Fm will draw a bit more, ssb draws a bit less.  I run a kenwood 900 mhz and a FT 857 d at the same time in the car, with 1 power lead.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »

If you've already got a Powerpole terminated cable to the dash, the slam dunk solution is to just make a splitter. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »

I used some  crimp on adapters on my car. kind of like the ones they used to use on the uhal trailers.... 

If you're referring to Scotchlok connectors, Tom, with all respect, I would be very careful using those.  They have a tendency to cut through the individual strands of wire at their attachment point, and with a high current draw connection, can actually cause the connection to heat to the point of possible failure.  They're fine for connecting light bulbs and low current draw applications, but for higher current draw applications, stripping and crimping, or stripping, wrapping and soldering is a better approach to connecting things.  73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: