Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile CW???  (Read 1376 times)
OUTBANDER

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 03:20:46 PM »

Guys, let's just drop this, thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

I HATE getting this worked up over something that's supposed to be a hobby for fun.

Just please, all of you, think carefully about how you reply to someone in the future, EVEN if someone is 'just' a CBer, a few carefully (or not so carefully) chosen words could make the difference between a continued CBer or a future HAM.

Sorry for letting my temper get the best of me, it's something I've been working on for many years.  My hackles just raise quick when  an unprovoked attack is sent my way.  Too defensive?  Yah, prolly so.  

Thanks and sorry again, I'll not post here again.  I'll go back to my 'Browse Only' status.
G7HEU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 04:09:27 PM »

Mr Outbander - consider posting with ur call sign - it saves a lot of grief. Particularly from people like observer 11 or what ever he wants to call himself. I've not noticed him before but don't let his aggression get the better of you.

What the heck did he think your intentions were? Using mobile CW on out of band CB perhaps? I don't think there's a lot of call for that.

Also - "Thanks and sorry again, I'll not post here again". There are so many knowledgeable and helpful guys here. Do post and the majority will help you as much as they have me.

'observer' if only :-)

Steve
M0HEU.
KJ7XJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »

I believe with practice you can copy in your head and perhaps in time go mobile too. You mentioned listening and catching only a couple of letters and then loosing "it". This same thing is happening to me. I am starting to realize that you need to get used to the sounds and not associate them with the letters (easier said than done IMO). For operating mobile, sure why not. I have seen leg strap on keys on ebay. I think that would be fun. I dont see myself trying it anytime soon however, but if I become a solid fist with good ears, Im sure I could drive down the interstae while tapping out 73 to Africa.
        Eric - KJ7XJ Tacoma,WA
K3ESE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 06:33:59 PM »

Well, gee. I love cw, but hate flame-filled threads. Everyone's got an opinion, eh? My turn-offs personally include posting under an alias, when you have a license. It's almost as if one intends to allow themselves to communicate in ways they'd be ashamed to be known for...

Anyway, back to the I love CW bit: I can probably copy up to about 35 wpm by now, if it's really well-spaced. I'm pretty comfy at up to about 28 wpm. In the car, when alone and on a non-demanding stretch of open road, with my K1 strapped to the steering column and my Te-Ne-Ke strapped to my leg, I'll agree that it's exactly the same, concentration-wise, as having a cell phone conversation. There are certainly cons to both, and your concentration is compromised to some extent. That being said, I feel exactly as competent and safe, or unsafe, when doing either one.

It's a marvelous way to make a very long, boring trip, such as the 8-hour drive from my QTH in MD to Dayton, fly by! It's actually super before and after HamVention, because there are so many /M ops on.

As to learning head copy...download the Koch Trainer software from G4FON's site, and use it for a few minutes, a few times a day. Always be pushing yourself, so you're never able to copy more than 85-90% of what's being sent. At the same time, regularly monitor CW QSOs on the air, if you have a HF receiver. Copy as much as you can. As you get more comfortable, and your speed increases - a great thing happens: words start to jump out at you, such as "FER" "RST" "TNX" "QSO,QTH etc,""Bill," and so on. You also find that you can start to sometimes sort of play back the last few characters in your mind's ear, to put together a word or phrase.

But in order to do all that, you have to love Morse code! Then it's easy.

LL/K3ESE
KJ7XJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 07:09:21 PM »

K3ESE wrote - "At the same time, regularly monitor CW QSOs on the air, if you have a HF receiver. Copy as much as you can. As you get more comfortable, and your speed increases - a great thing happens: words start to jump out at you, such as "FER" "RST" "TNX" "QSO,QTH etc,""Bill," and so on."

I have tried to study the G4FON and NuMorse software with the HF rig on in the backround. I get so into the computer program that I dont listen to the real qsos.I am wondering how that works? Maybe I am reading your post wrong.
               DE KJ7XJ
K5PU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004, 05:45:15 PM »

Observer11 said: "just as I thought, you are not licensed, or you are a no code techie..."

So what? Doesn't give you any right or reason to be insulting.

Just FYI Observer11. Believing a poster is NOT licensed is even MORE reason to take the time to explain about CW/M (or anything else Ham related for that matter) in a much nicer, friendly tone.

If some 'civilian' noticed YOU operating CW/M would you have spoke to them like you think they were a dumb$***?

I'd suggest you be more understanding, explain Amateur Radio more patiently. You never know... That 'civilian' could be some lawmaker thinking about including ALL forms of mobile comms in his/her 'cellphone while driving' bill.
K3QS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 09:19:09 PM »

Outbander, I operate CW mobile on my commute to and from work, even in traffic. I don't think I'm being unsafe. You've got to remember all the info, name, callsign, QTH, etc.

You will find it easier to copy code in your head at speeds >20 wpm, because the trick is to sound out the letters in your mind. At too low a speed, the sounds don't produce meaningful words. At the higher speeds, the sounds gel into words.

Also, don't dwell on anything you miss. Skip it and keep moving. Usually, the context will help you fill in what you've missed.

If you want to increase your speed, listen to QSOs running faster than you can copy, and begin sounding out the letters. You might get only half, but eventually, the words will form in your mind.

OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2004, 03:05:22 PM »

Luther, read his original post and then tell me I should be kinder and gentlier
3DAYS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2004, 02:45:32 AM »

I believe he apologized for his harsh tone on that first post.

You however, have continued acting like an ass.
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2004, 04:16:06 PM »

you may kiss it at any time.
3DAYS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2004, 05:59:25 PM »

Heh, thanks for that one Observer11, I needed a chuckle today.  I actually laughed out loud after reading that.

Soooo, I'm guessing you're 8, maybe 9 years old?  Weird, for some reason I'd imagined you to be an older gent.

A question, why do you have it out for this guy so badly?  In his first post he said, 'Forgive me if I seem out of line,', then he went on later to apologize for his (admittedly) poor choice of wording.  Yet you continue to attack him.  Why?

I don't blame him for being angry with you at all, had you spoken to me like that, were we standing face to face, I'd likely punch you in yours.  Just because it's an internet forum is no reason to be so disrespectful and antagonistic, ESPECIALLY after someone apologizes.

No wonder so many young people (of which I am) view us as a bunch of grumpy old codgers, if THAT'S the way you commonly reply to questions.
NX7U

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2004, 06:13:58 PM »

I understand your first-glance reaction...
But, (as one fortunately endowed) after 30 years of "pounding brass" it requires about zero brain-clock-cycles to process CW.  I have a much harder time being conversational on SSB while mobile than I do on CW!
Not everyone can do it...and there's lots of other things I can't do, that's not meant to be a condescending remark.

Scott NX7U in DM43
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2004, 01:43:21 PM »

thats right, the worlds youngest Extra...
NX7U

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2004, 02:49:27 PM »

Where did that come from?

Scott NX7U in DM43
AC5K

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2004, 11:06:42 AM »

The real question is how good you are at CW.  I have been licensed almost 32 years and operate CW only.  I not only work CW mobile from a car but also CW mobile from a bicycle!  CW is second nature for me and there is no distraction to "translate" it whatsoever.  I find it helps pass the miles on long trips.  I try not to operate in stop and go traffic because I have a manual transmission!    
Wes, AC5K
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: