Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game-plan needed for DXCC and beyond (little pistol)  (Read 6177 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 11:07:57 AM »

It does not do you any good to xmit where the DX is not listening.  Spending a lot of time finding where a medium rare DX entity is listening will pay off.  Same holds true for RARE!!! DX.  You are also looking for a pattern so that you know where he will be after you find his exact frequency.  

It's surprising to me how many people seem to be very worried about getting the DX station in the log but don't make even the slightest effort to figure out where the DX is listening.  It's like trying to win a basketball game by closing your eyes and shooting without figuring out if you're even in the building, much less on the court facing the right basket.

Sometimes it's worth giving up and calling in a fixed spot if you can't figure out the pattern or in some other circumstances. I just hung out on the bottom edge of the TL0CW pileup on 160m the other night and made it through.

But I've heard some really dumb stuff, like three or four guys persistently calling 1kHz above a DX station when the DX station was listening down 1kHz and working lots of people.  They probably eventually get upset and wonder what's wrong with their stations I suppose Grin

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »

As someone new to all of this, I appreciate the advice here. I'm running 100 watts into a modest multi-band vertical and have had OK luck with it - 50 entities (22 confirmed), all continents, and 30 zones in a couple months of moderate activity. I was very optimistic about the CQ WW contest this weekend, but spent much of the day calling and only bagged a few new entities. Very few stations would take the time to pull out my weaker signal over the continuous big guns. I could hear them fine, and it was clear they could hear me if they tried. I can't blame them for being competitive and ignoring someone that might take a few more seconds to get in the log, but I didn't realize I was up against such big competition.

I'm going to try again tomorrow and hope some of the pileups have slowed down. Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:36:17 PM by N7SMI » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »

N7SMI, check out my blog at http://wd4elg.blogspot.com.  I worked 225 with wires and 100 watts.  I went to a hex beam and 500 watts and then really started getting competitive.  Part of that is due to the improving sunspots...the 225 was in the doldrums from 2004-2009.  You CAN do this, it just takes patience, time, and skill.  Multiple yagis and high power decrease the time needed, but there is always a skill factor involved.  Believe me, I busted dozens and dozens of pileups with 100 watts and wires.  I did it with patience and by following the tips of the DX experts.  My advice is to read, listen on air, ask questions, listen on air, listen on air!

Also, improve your antennas before getting an amp.  Read about low band DXing with ON4UN, the ARRL Antenna Book.  Vertical wires like an inverted L or a half square for the higher bands will get more out than a low dipole (lower angle of radiation!)

Never give up, share your stories, and most of all have fun!  DX IS!

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »

If you ever doubt the ability to achieve top level DX honor roll, check out WG5G.  He did it QRP.  Which proves the axiom from my first Elmer: it's ALL about the antenna.  Maximize the antenna before buying an amp:

http://www.qrz.com/db/WG5G

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
N6DZR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »

This last weekend's contest (CQ WW SSB) was a great opportunity! Lots of activity on the high bands where the smaller & lower antennas perform best.

With a moderate effort with lots of breaks, I was able to work 428 Q's with 93 unique countries. I have heard of others who worked 100+ in a day. My station is 100w into a decent antenna, but it's only at 35 feet. Someday hope to get the antenna higher and add an amp.

What's your story?

-Jeff
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: