Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-ebay PayPal transactions  (Read 13480 times)
WB6VYH

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:31:12 AM »

Ok, this got long so here is some info. on what just took place with me. First, with paypal all a buyer needs to do is call his bank and say, that was not me and they do a chargeback. Can you stop it, NO. If you did not sell it on ebay there is no asking you nothing. They ( paypal ) just send your money back to the other guy. No questions, no why to stop it. I know, I just lost $1300.00 to K4TFY this way. I will try the post office not that I read that. I will keep trying. Bottom line, if you sell it on ebay and use paypal you might be covered and I did say might. If you used eham or qrz or something else and used paypal, well it over--- just send they the stuff. Use cash, check and tell them when it clears "their" bank you will ship. I just got my paypal account cleared and no, they say there is nothing they can do for me, this was after I proved to them I sent it to him.
Bob---WB6VYH
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:07 AM »

I'll use Paypal if I'm buying things, but if I'm selling, I want cold, hard cash in the form of a money order from the post office.  Even those, these days, aren't 100 percent sure and safe, but they're the best that can be had--unless you meet the buyer face to face, that is.
K9CTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »

Paypal and by definition, E-bay, have questionable political ties and agendas.  I have learned over the recent years that although not perfect, qth.com provides access to sellers and does not have a ridiculous graft.  Paypal is an ebay company, so they're gonna do the same stuff all companies do ... steer buyers to their other holdings.  Personally, I'd like to see an anti-trust suit break up e-bay into smaller franchised groups ... like the government did with IBM, et al.  Don't use paypal if you're buying from a private party.  Don't pay ebay prices for used gear.  The graft is so great now, that you can actually watch the "corporate sellers" on ebay jack their prices up to the point where a buyer can beat them by simply going to R&L, AES or HRO.  Those are some pretty hefty fees!  People do what they want, which is why ebay is a cash-rich company.  I'm just stating my personal opinion.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »

Yeah, I have noticed quite a bit recently where the e-bay price was actually higher than mail order retail....what a joke.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:17 PM »

If people are dumb enough to pay those prices, tough luck. I've seen cases where an item did not sell and the next time it was offered by the same person the price was increased.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:07:18 PM »

E-bay started out as one thing, and because of the political climate (being in bed with big business) and the pursuit of the almighty dollar, has become something totally different.

Anyone who looks at things on E-bay ought to have some idea of the pricing of the article they're looking for first.  Sometimes Amazon prices are lower, sometimes higher, but chances are that the article will be available somewhere else--and cheaper too.

I guess it comes down to one thing.  How quick does the buyer want the item and how much of a chance are they willing to take on getting just what they want.  I still maintain that, for ham radio related items, this site, QRZ, and Craigs list are better than E-bay, better by far.
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »

What???  Instant PayPal transfers are far more secure and dependable than a paper check in the mail scenario.    PayPal has also serverd to protect me against fraudulant sellers twice in the 13 years I've had an account. Never a problem with PP.

I think there's more to most stories about bad deals involving PayPal than posters are willing to disclose. 

I'm not a business and only do casual buying and selling like most of us here.  It's 2011 boys so wake up and smell the EFT's! 

Even try dealing with the Post Office over a lost money order or Item that "wasn't as described"..lol   Good luck with that!!!
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 12:15:16 PM »

I had recently a problem with an eBay seller. I bought a SB-200 which was in "Good" shape and had "Full Power". When I got it it was not only DOA, it was in sad shape. The whole rig was dropped at one time on one corner and had been straightened out. The cover shield and two feet were missing. It had been used by a smoker and the yellow stuff was all over the inside in layers. Wrote the seller to return it according to his own 30 day guarantee, but he refused it. He insisted that it had been in excellent shape and was working when it left. To make a long story short, it escalated to the point that he called me lair, a thief and a swindler, and contacted his and my local police, accusing me of fraud. His police department contacted me about it, but when I explained what had happened they apologized, and I never heard from them again.
In the mean time I contacted eBay, and asked for arbitration. To make another long story short, they decided in my favor, I had to send  it back to the seller at his cost, and got my money back ($430.00) from eBay. (Not from the seller, but am sure they got it out of him later on) Grin
So indeed, sometimes eBay will guarantee a purchase as they claim they do  if something goes wrong with it. In my case they did, and it saved me a lot of money by doing it. Cheesy
BTW I have not seen his name back on eBay again. I wonder if he is selling now under an different name.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:47:30 PM »

If people are dumb enough to pay those prices, tough luck. I've seen cases where an item did not sell and the next time it was offered by the same person the price was increased.

I bought a 5 meter length of 12 VDC LED lights with 3M sticky backing on them from Hong Kong for $16 shipped.

Same strip of lights from a US Ebay seller were listed at Buy it Now for close to $60 plus $15 shipping. Go figure  Roll Eyes

I have seen BUY IT NOW prices that were so high it is ridiculous. Who buys that stuff at those prices?
KE5JDJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 04:48:28 AM »

The issues with price on eBay are with the buyer.  If someone wants to pay sucker prices, that's their business.

I've used PayPal for non eBay transactions with success....but I stay under $50.  I think a person can get really taken advantage of on some bid sites, eBay included. 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British prime-minister (1759-1806)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »

I'll use Paypal if I'm buying things, but if I'm selling, I want cold, hard cash in the form of a money order from the post office.  Even those, these days, aren't 100 percent sure and safe, but they're the best that can be had--unless you meet the buyer face to face, that is.

I had a recent experience like that and I am pretty sure the Ham selling the radio was honest but when he said it's either cash or Postal Money order I had serious reservations about doing the deal and eventually opted out. Spending sub $200 is one thing but when a few thousand $ is at risk; neither party wants to take a chance, In my case I was not about to buy a rig for that much money and just deliver the cash and hope for the best. The funny part was he got a bit angry with me and said Dam why don't people trust each other anymore! My thinking was exactly the same when he said he did not want PayPal. Grin

Your statement is exactly why it does not work, people want the security of PayPal when they are buying goods but also want the total security of cash when selling!  When two people who think like that try to make a transaction it's impossible. Wink and that why eBay works because contrary to what some are saying there is a fair amount of protection for both parties, it's not perfect but it's a compromise that makes a deal work.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:24:39 AM »

Robert, when I'm buying I'll use PayPal when the seller accepts it for the convenience, not for the protection--because it offers next to NO protection to the buyer or seller, depending on what is sold and the honesty of both parties.  If I want to buy and the seller only accepts Post Office money orders, that's what he'll get.

When buying without seeing, it's a crapshoot--you're going on faith in the other party.  You've got to be prepared to take your chances, especially over one or two hundred dollars.  If I'm going to spend more than that much, I will NOT go on faith, I'll want to see the item--so I won't look on E-bay or Amazon except to see what the thing is selling for.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

Just to let people now the reason sellers do not like to take PayPal for high price merchandise is that PayPal charges the seller a fee based on the money transaction. This fee goes higher as the amount of money being transferred to the sellers account goes up. This money starts to cut into a sellers profit and the amount he has to charge for a product.

If you are buying a high price product from EBay or an individual, on one of the classified sites that will not take PayPal. The use of a third party intermediary that holds the money until the item is delivered. After delivery if all is as it should be the money is released. This usually involves a small fee (much less then PayPal) and of coarse must be agreed upon by both parties. This was they way it was done before PayPal on high priced items. This system allows the seller to use any payment system he wants.

Just a thought.

73s

K2OWK
KD0ACY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »

I think eBay bought PayPal and now they have a new ,information collecting part, that is under investigation at this time.
K5ESW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »

I listed an item on eham and was contacted by a fellow in Spain interested in buying and asking about cost to ship. I looked around and saw two options with USPS. One costs about $20 for a Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box, but there is no tracking or insurance available. The medium size box is about $50 and has insurance and trackable options.

I gave the prospective buyer the two options and said with the $20 option he loses if the item does not arrive. I also said I take PayPal.  I was assuming that since this is a non-eBay transaction, PayPal would not be involved in a claim of the item being lost. I am now wondering if this is correct.

Is it possible to use PayPal to transfer money to a seller without recourse on the seller? I am only willing to send something uninsured if the buyer takes the risk because he gets the benefit of the lower shipping cost.

Paul
K5ESW

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: