Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: signalink usb + laptop and no ptt  (Read 4534 times)
KW3U

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:00:47 PM »

picked up a nice used dell b-something with 3 usb ports. laptop.
tried all my windows prgms hamscope, digicom etc and fldigi, none of
them operate the ptt.  receive is fine. settings in programs are correct.
  plugged the usb cable back into my older desktop and all works fine.
software on laptop is xp.
   got me baffled.
Jim kw3u
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »

The Signalink-USB has a built in VOX circuit that generates PTT when audio tones are present. No PTT (assuming that the PTT output is correctly wired to the radio) means no transmit tones. Check that the correct audio device is selected and that audio controls are properly set with nothing muted.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »

Jim,

Did you ever get you question answered? When it comes to WinXP
I have found that I have to configure the Signalink Sound Card settings to full volume on Master as well as Wave.
Does the Red PTT Light come on when you TX. If it does not then it’s not getting enough Audio out to the Signalink to activate the PTT VOX Relay.
If it is and the Radio is not going into TX then either a Bad Radio Data Cable (is it a homebrew cable?) or the Signalink jumpers are not correct.
If the Signalink RED PTT Light does come on and the Radio shows it is in TX but you still show NO RF going out then you don’t either have enough Audio to the Radio from the Signalink so once again the settings in WinXP for the Signalink are not high enough or the TX Level on the Signalink is not correct.
What Radio to you have this connected to and is it going thru the Radio’s Mic Jack or the DataPort Jack (if it has one)?

73 de Steve KB6HOH
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »

The USB signalink is merely an external USB audio card with  a P.T.T. circuit incorporated.
The PTT relay is driven by the audio from the signalink so you must have the master audio slider set to maximum to trigger.
In Windows the USB signalink appears as the device "USB-Audio-codec" and you must configure the digimode program to have this as the soundcard device.
Also, when you plug in the signalink, windows typically makes it the default sound device, so it becomes the destination for all your window sounds, music etc!
If you can't hear sound out of your PC after plugging in the USB-signalink, this is probably the reason.
Just go to the windows sound configuration screen and make the onboard soundcard the default again and all should be fine.
You wont have to do this every time you plug it in.

There is also a 3.5mm audio monitoring point on the back of the signalink, so you can see if the soundcard is producing sound.
This will tell you if the USB-signalink is sending sound, and its just the PTT is not being triggered.
Just plug in an earphone into this monitoring point to monitor.

The red light on the USB-signalink will go on if the sound is sufficiently high to trigger it, even if it has no radio connected, since it is just an external sound card, so you can troubleshoot it without a radio.

It is a good unit , I am sure you will get it to work fine.

73s

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:58:38 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »

Right click on My Computer.
Select Properties.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click Device Manager.
Click the plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

If you don't see something like "Enhanced Controller", you don't have USB2.0 compliant USB ports, and the Signalink requires them. You could add an add on board or something that would give you more ports that are USB2.0.

Also, if you are using some type of USB hub, at the very least, it has to be a powered hub (by an wall wart adapter). It is always best to plug the Signalink directly into the computer.

de NA4IT
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »

The Signalink USB is both 1.1 and 2.0 compliant.

From Tigertronics Website:
Computer Connector:   USB 1.1/2.0 Compatible
         Standard USB "B" type connector

de Steve KB6HOH
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »

From the Tigertronics tech department when I got mine and it wouldn't work "You must have it plugged into a USB2.0 port".
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »

From the Tigertronics tech department when I got mine and it wouldn't work "You must have it plugged into a USB2.0 port".

Strange because while I do not have a Signal Link adapter I have been using a USB sound device on a old laptop for a Digi sound device for a year now and laptop is USB 1.1 and Signal Link would use same amount of resources.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »

I have three SignaLink USB devices.  One configured for my Alinco DX-SR8 HF transceiver; the second for my Kenwood TS2000X; the third for my Yaesu FT-100D.  I have used all three with a variety of computers ranging from a high performance desktop to a netbook and OS's ranging from  SP3 XP to WIN7 both 32 and 64 bit.  It also works perfectly with both USB 1.0 and 2.0 ports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: