Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ catalog good for a giggle  (Read 8598 times)
LA1BRA

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »

I'm sure many folks received the new MFJ catalog recently. I read the fine print quite often as it amuses me in all adverts (and I hate advertising). I found it most interesting MFJ called  one of there antennas "illegal" on a given band. See page 124 advert on there Hygain Super-Penetrator 10/12.

tom
LA1BRA
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:27:04 AM »

Declaring most anything "illegal" or having too much "gain", is sure to boost sales.

Dick  AD4U
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »

I'm sure many folks received the new MFJ catalog recently. I read the fine print quite often as it amuses me in all adverts (and I hate advertising). I found it most interesting MFJ called  one of there antennas "illegal" on a given band. See page 124 advert on there Hygain Super-Penetrator 10/12.

tom
LA1BRA

Oddly enough, the grin is entirely on you....and on our stupid broken Government of BOTH political parties and the fringe groups driving them.   :-)

It is NOT legal to sell 11 meter omni-directional antennas in the USA made from exposed metal. Any company marketing uninsulated omni directional  antennas for CB radio use, when the antennas do not pass voltage breakdown tests, can be forced to recall all the antennas and pay a hefty fine.

To sell an omni vertical 12 or 10 meter exposed metal antenna to Hams requires a specific exclusion prohibiting CB use.

That law was enacted when one of our politicians family members was killed installing a CB antenna. Even selling ONE omni-directional uninsulated antenna as a CB antenna places a company in violation. I can sell a CB Yagi 100 feet long advertised to handle 100 kW made from bells and nichrome, but if it is omni directional and even two watts rated, it has to go through extensive tests for safety 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:38:54 AM by W8JI » Logged
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »

I'm sure many folks received the new MFJ catalog recently. I read the fine print quite often as it amuses me in all adverts (and I hate advertising). I found it most interesting MFJ called  one of there antennas "illegal" on a given band. See page 124 advert on there Hygain Super-Penetrator 10/12.

tom
LA1BRA

Oddly enough, the laugh is entirely on you.  :-)

It is NOT legal to sell 11 meter antennas in the USA made from exposed metal. Any company marketing uninsulated omni directional  antennas for CB radio use, when the antennas do not pass voltage breakdown tests, can be forced to recall all the antennas and pay a hefty fine.

To sell an omni vertical 12 or 10 meter exposed metal antenna to Hams requires a specific exclusion prohibiting CB use.

That law was enacted when one of our politicians family members was killed installing a CB antenna. Even selling ONE uninsulated antenna as a CB antenna places a company in violation.

Hmmmm now that statement make's you wonder if the government is implying something about the typical CB operator   Grin
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »

......   It is NOT legal to sell 11 meter omni-directional antennas in the USA made from exposed metal. Any company marketing uninsulated omni directional  antennas for CB radio use, when the antennas do not pass voltage breakdown tests, can be forced to recall all the antennas and pay a hefty fine.

Can you provide ANY documentation to support your statement?
LA1BRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »

W8JI makes interesting point I was not aware of. It does seem ironic though. I of course as a disclaimer do not wish harm to any CB radio enthusiast or any Ham radio operator. So I guess the marketing claims are true. The marketing was written by a Lawyer and not a Ad writer, I guess...

Interesting just the same to see the disclaimer..it is also illegal to drive a car at 100mph in a school zone though nothing I have ever seen says you can't sell a car to a Idiot..
tom
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »

I sat on the Consumer Product Safety Comission committee in the mid '70's (Washington DC) that had to set guidleines for these antennas. What a frustrating experience for an engineer

I recall one case where two guys were repeatedly raising and lowering a large CB antenna in a rainstorm, at night, in a trailer park. They apparently lost control and the mast hit the power line. One of the guys was wearing a beanie with a metal button on top- he took a jolt through the head.
I recall asking the attorney for the power company if there was any brain damage. His reply was they had reviewed his high school records and they weren't yet sure.

Dale W4OP
LA1BRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »

I am sure buried in Part 97 there are regulations as W8JI refers to. I read numerous Standards all day long here in Norway, so I must confess part 97 is not high on my list of reading topics. As licensed radio operators, we should all be aware of the rules. Caveat, I am licensed in the US also, So it is my responsibility to have a copy or access to the "rules" and have read them and understand them and how it regulates my radio station and applied as needed.
How ever, I still found the MFJ "disclaimer" funny, and as I stated, I certainly do not wish any radio person, ham or CB, any ill will.

I see I was slightly mistaken in posting this, but this is a lesson to be learned. Know what you are talking about before you place your foot in the mouth.
regards from Norway
LA1BRA aka KB5VWZ stateside
tom
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »

tom
LA1BRA

Oddly enough, the grin is entirely on you....and on our stupid broken Government of BOTH political parties and the fringe groups driving them.   :-)

It is NOT legal to sell 11 meter omni-directional antennas in the USA made from exposed metal. Any company marketing uninsulated omni directional  antennas for CB radio use, when the antennas do not pass voltage breakdown tests, can be forced to recall all the antennas and pay a hefty fine.

That law was enacted when one of our politicians family members was killed installing a CB antenna. Even selling ONE omni-directional uninsulated antenna as a CB antenna places a company in violation. I can sell a CB Yagi 100 feet long advertised to handle 100 kW made from bells and nichrome, but if it is omni directional and even two watts rated, it has to go through extensive tests for safety 
    Interesting.  Is that one of the reasons that there are almost no metal 11 or even 10 Meter commercially made ground plane antennas sold today?  I remember when they were sold in Radio Shack for only around $20, and could easily be modified for 10 meter use. 
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »

I see I was slightly mistaken in posting this, but this is a lesson to be learned. Know what you are talking about before you place your foot in the mouth.
regards from Norway

Oh don't worry about it, most of us learned something  Cheesy

Now I know why I can't find any cheap CB antennas to modify for 10m like I used to have Sad

Silly politicians and bureaucrats! (and lawyers!)

Ken

Ken
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »

I am sure buried in Part 97 there are regulations as W8JI refers to.

Doubt it would be in Part 97.  If this regulation applies to CB, it should be in Part 95 Section D someplace.

I didn't look, since I don't care. Tongue
WB6RXG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »

Here's a link to the applicable code.

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-2.0.1.2.35.html

Truly amazing.

Stuart
WB6RXG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 03:34:52 PM »

I wonder why the AR-10 on page 112 isn't illegal for CB use.

It's easy to tune it to 27 MHz.

Stuart
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »

I wonder why the AR-10 on page 112 isn't illegal for CB use.

It's easy to tune it to 27 MHz.

Stuart

The regulation has nothing to do with the FCC, it is a consumer trade regulation.

So long as it is not intended as an omni-directional CB antenna, it can legally be sold. Pretty strange, but clear cut law.

WB6RXG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »

What I was asking is why one omni antenna in the MFJ catalog is marked as "illegal for CB use" and another omni isn't.  I'm sure there are other examples in the catalog too.

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: