Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB  (Read 3819 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »

Just in case no one noticed, haha, this contest is filling 10 meters.  You would almost have to be trying to not get 25+ countries in an hour.  Even weak stations are getting through.

http://www.cqww.com/rules.php

Sam
W9KDX
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:48:36 PM »

I already had about 110 before the contest, and I added 20 new ones in about 10 hours.  All of them were pileups except for one australian station where there were no takers.  Sure, one could get probably 100 countries over the weekend, but new ones?  I found with my limited knowledge and experience (I've been on the air for 5 months) the following:
1) Many of the stations of the smaller countries (i.e. not the usa or germany) I already had.  It seems they don't have too many active operators. I wanted to concentrate on the ones I didn't have so skipped them.
2) The pileups for the less common countries were much less than usual
3) It seems that many of the countries I thought were difficult, are not that present during the normal non contest times.  For example I got a whole bunch of south pacific Islands and VK's and ZL's.I thought I would never get them before this.  Turns out they were easy! They have been hard to find before this weekend. (Actually they seem to like to rag chew a lot, and I never stayed up long enough!)
4) Contests are fun! Only thing is no one answered my calls when I called CQ.  Maybe it's because I'm canadian and not in demand?
Anyways, I think it will help me in obtaining my DXCC since I also went after stations which use LOTW where I have not yet received my QSL's.  It seems that LOTW really is the way to go.  I uploaded my first log the other day and got 59 QSL's whereas I only have about 30 paper ones.

Anyways it was a good experience for me.

VA2FSQ
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »

Wasn't 10 great this last weekend?  It's literally been years since I've heard it that crowded... I was working stations hand over fist well above 28.8 MHz, some up above 29.

I think it's at least 2 full cycles since I've heard 10 like this... and consider further that most likely, we're not even at this cycle's peak yet!
N7VEA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »

When we're all really old geezers (really older geezers? hi) we can tell the new guys stories about how good 10M was "back in '12-'13"...

Why sonny, it was so good I heard of guys making honor roll on 10M using nothing more than a burnt-out lightbulb in their attics

It _was_ good a lot of the time this weekend though.  I know I didn't go near high enough on 10M, and I didn't spend enough time in the chair.  Nearly 60 unique entities though, including enough new ones to get me well past 100.  Too much fun!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »

Ten Meters WAS a blast even with my mediocre setup.
(PROII and HF6V which could have used some radial work!).
I didn't play the whole contest, just Search & Pounce on Sunday.

On 10m There were a TON of people piled up on a loud French Guiana station.(FY/F5HRY). I am saying to myself "Why the fuss?
It's not so rare...this is a waste of time".

So I skipped it and very slowly advanced the VFO and heard
 a very weak but very clear signal: NH0S , Northern Marianas,
nestled down between the big sigs and calling with few comebacks.
Got him on the third call

Same technique (listen carefully between the big sigs)
netted me VK2X Niue Island.

Of course neither of those stations are show stoppers (real rare)
but it goes to show you what you can do if you throw your
lure into the part of the pond where other folks ain't!

73, Ken  AD6KA
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »

AD6KA Ken Niue is ZK2X not VK2X please change it in your log. And Yes that is the way I do it too! Only this contest I was SOSB (A) 40 LP and 40 was rough rough for a low power station. But I did have fun.

Roland AH6RR
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »

I tried to get ZK2X several times. I worked Australia on 10 with my meager setup of a TS-2000 and a 206 ft G5RV about 50 feet up in a tree. I normally can get in between the big stations and work but not Sunday. It was fun though. I got contacts on 160 thru 10 except for 80. It was fun! I worked 2 Indian stations this AM. !0 meters has been great.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:23:12 PM »

Thanks Roland!
It's good in the log, bad in the post.  Cheesy
(After working him I immediately went to
QRZ and looked it up to make sure it wasn't a slim, hihi)

Sounds like you had a good time too.
SOSB LP 40 sure sounds like a challenge.
Hope CU next test. 73, Ken  AD6KA

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:29:14 PM by AD6KA » Logged
W3PO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 01:56:15 AM »

It was my first CQWW SSB in 37 years licensed.
I usually attend thorough the years the CW portion but a friend convinced me to give the SSB a try as our club PVRC can always use the points.
I really wanted to try my new array prior to the CW week end.
I lost power to the storm most of Saturday and managed 463Qs low power (did not attempt QRP), and most of all had fun.
Contrary of what I thought would be, most signals were clean and ops most courteous.
Now I am getting ready for the serious business of CQWW CW and I will be entering QRP as always.
So to my surprise I think I will be entering next year SSB portion again.

73 de Pat W3PO
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 10:08:09 AM »

Yes Pat the SSB portion of the CQWW can be a blast! This year will be my first venture into the CW version and I haven't made up my mind yet if it will be SOAB or SOSB and if it will be single band what band maybe 10 Assisted.

Hope to work you in the contest.
Roland AH6RR 
W3PO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 01:53:57 AM »

Roland,
I operate more than usual the week prior to the contest to establish a pattern: what bands are open to what part of the world and at what time.
During the contest I will go back to my notes and consult VOACAP prior for any changes.
I always do a lot of planning before the contest and make sure that all is in top shape.
Time permitting I will erect a twin half square for 40m to add to my lazy H curtain for the high bands.
See you there and have fun

73 de Pat W3PO
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »

10 meters was really nice! Haven't heard it like that in ages.  I'm not a serious contester. I just "search and pounce" for fun. Put a whole 74 contacts in the log the entire weekend.
 I just hope I get a better LOTW return rate than I have in the past.  Already I've gotten one DX station who confirmed via eqsl but not LOTW. I hate that, eqsl is useless to me.  If I'm going to apply for an award , I want it to be an ARRL award. Anyway, cant wait till the ARRL 10 meter contest in December! That's my favorite and hopefully the band will be in good shape that weekend!
Michael, W4HIJ
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 08:43:34 AM »

As a fairly new ham I was glad to hear that this opening was like the good old days.

It was my best time by far on the band.

Question: Should I expect to ever reach India and China from Ohio on 10m easily? I remember someone telling me that in 'the good old days' you would be contacting JAs until you were blue in the face. I contacted about 8 JAs and they were all 53s or worse. (3 element tribander at 20 feet)
WS7X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »

Michael,
I suppose one could say it was a little like the "good ole days" -  but not quite.  If you think it was good during the contest, wait until the sunspot number gets around 200.  You'll work JAs on a slinky antenna and 10 watts, hi hi.  India however will most likely be a challenge whenever.  There aren't quite as many active Indian ops and you'll see/hear the same call signs all the time.  Tough to work em most times, but still doable.  I had lots of fun this contest.  I finished it - worked em all I think.   Like surfing the internet and getting to the end. Hi Hi.  Looking forward to the next one.

Noel
WS7X
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: