Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best 20m and 10m ultra portable antenns?  (Read 3816 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »

What is the best ultra portable antenna for 10m and 20m for a ft817? Where can I buy them at?  I need something simple and  for a bed ridden cancer patient.

Randy ka4nma

pastor.spaceboy@gmail.com
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »

PAR End Fedz EF-10/20/40.  Works great, weights less than 1 lb and fits n a small bag. The only issue is that you need something to hang it from.  Works very well in vertical configuration, or horizontally if hung at least 1/4-wavelength above the ground.  The beauty of this end-fed dipole is that does not need an antenna tuner, nor any other kind of tuning when switching bands.

If you want an antenna that does not require anything the radio and a table, the Miracle Whip works.  Some people say it's an expensive dummy load, but from personal experience I know that it is perfectly possible to make 5000 miles SSB contacts on 20 and 10 m running 5 W on a FT-817 with the Miracle Whip.  Of course it won't happen every time, but it definitely is possible and I have done it many, many times.  Check the Yahoo MW group for more info and tips from happy users.

S. Bucki. KD8KQH

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:26:56 PM by KATEKEBO » Logged
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »

So are you actually using them portable, or semi-permanently at a fixed location?

Do they need to be removed / disassembled / put away / hidden on a regular basis, or
to they just need to take up little space in the room?

Are they in a hospital or other facility that may have lots of limitations on antennas,
or at home where they have more control over things?

The "best" antenna likely would be one outside the window with a coax running
inside somehow.  Second might be wire dipoles strung across the room, or
perhaps one of the mag loops (especially up against the window, where it has
a chance of radiating out through it.)

If you really want a whip that mounts on the radio itself, that's about the worst
possible option.  For 10m, at least, I'd look for the longest CB whip that will fit,
and then hang a quarter wave wire radial off the ground side of the coax connector
and let it trail off under the bed.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »

PAR End Fedz EF-10/20/40.  Works great, weights less than 1 lb and fits n a small bag. The only issue is that you need something to hang it from.  Works very well in vertical configuration, or horizontally if hung at least 1/4-wavelength above the ground.  The beauty of this end-fed dipole is that does not need an antenna tuner, nor any other kind of tuning when switching bands.

If you want an antenna that does not require anything the radio and a table, the Miracle Whip works.  Some people say it's an expensive dummy load, but from personal experience I know that it is perfectly possible to make 5000 miles SSB contacts on 20 and 10 m running 5 W on a FT-817 with the Miracle Whip.  Of course it won't happen every time, but it definitely is possible and I have done it many, many times.  Check the Yahoo MW group for more info and tips from happy users.

S. Bucki. KD8KQH

I agree.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »

Where can I get a Par antenna cheaply?

Randy
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »

You can buy it via the Internet from Universal Radio (www.rffun.com).  $75 plus shipping.
S. Bucki. KD8KQH
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:00:23 AM »

What is the best ultra portable antenna for 10m and 20m for a ft817? Where can I buy them at?  I need something simple and  for a bed ridden cancer patient.

Randy ka4nma

pastor.spaceboy@gmail.com

Your asking for a 10m and 20m antenna. Either you can make one for far less than a manufactured antenna that's multiple bands or if it just specifically 10m and 20m then I'll make you a fan dual band dipole for free.

These simple antennas can be made close to practically nothing with house hold scraps. If it is for a bed ridden person then maybe a Miracle Whip antenna is just the thing for them.

Hate to hear you spent crazy money for something you can make for far less or free.

Good Luck and 73!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »

WB6BYU asked a lot of pertinent questions
re hospitals, portability, etc. Which have not been
answered, and they are important questions.

If there is any medical monitoring equipment involved
at all, whether at home care or inpatient (hospital or hospice)
I don't think they are going to allow any RF transmitting
equipment.  Even if you can find a ham doctor
to give you the OK, he's going to want to make sure
that any RF is isolated from the rig end of the feedline
at the very least.

"Bedridden" to a lay person can mean a lot of different
things. Is he in hospice hooked to zillion monitors,
or is he at home in a hospital bed but can get up
and about a couple times a day?  If the latter, setup
a check in another room with a couple proper dipoles
if possible.

Too many unanswered questions,,,,,,

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:24:53 PM by AD6KA » Logged
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I used my recently resurrected K2 and 100mw to snag a station in Spain.  That works out to something like 49000 miles per watt.  So far that is my record.  My antenna is a simple ZS6BKW up in the trees about 35 feet.

Withthe bands opening up I'm sure that even my 0.1W Spain contact will be surpassed.

GL, 73, JP, K8AG
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »

Removing the audio amplification will both present problems with summing the result of the phasing network and also put the signal below what the headphone can reproduce.

Randy,

To answer what is the antenna install location?  You say ultra portable but that is not enough information to answer in a sensible form.

If a wire is permissible PAR EF40/20/10 will do well if you can get it up at least 25ft.
The antenna is about 40ft long and needs coaxial cable to the radio.
(http://www.lnrprecision.com EF40/20/10 75$)

At the other extreme the Transworld Traveler TW2010 might be a possible (though expensive)
option.  (http://transworldantennas.com/pages/order-on-line.php )

Buddypole is also a portable antenna system (or the less expensive Buddystick) and is in the range of $140 to 200+.

There are other choices but without knowing where and what restrictions exist so this
amounts to snapshot of whats out there and prices.  IT's also possible to build something
yourself less expensively.

Allison
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 05:32:49 AM »

MFJ's FT-817 "walkabout antennas" (with the BNC connectors) work great.  My XYL bought me the 10m version for my 39th birthday this year...with a counterpoise, I was able to work many stations a few weekends ago (when we had Indian Summer here in Buffalo).  I sat on my deck with the HTX-10, a battery, and the 10m walkabout, and worked everything I heard. 

YMMV.

KB2HSH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: