Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so many contest stations with poor audio  (Read 5883 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 12:30:59 PM »

Switch to CW contests, then this isn't a problem!

73s John AA5JG
Gotta disagree. Keyclicks and 60-Hz (or 50 Hz for much or Europe and rest of world) hum+harmonic buzz are really irritating and common on many big contest stations. Some have a transmitted CW spectrum that's more than a kilohertz wide.

I sometimes wonder if they do that on purpose, just to occupy more spectrum and keep anybody else from coming within a kHz of "their frequency".

The gotcha with CW is that it's not unusual for leading dits to be dropped. That's gotta be embarrassing.
KF6A

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »

Switch to CW contests, then this isn't a problem!

73s John AA5JG

Then you get the key-click crew which is just as annoying.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »

Sightly off topic, but is there some specific way you can introduce splatter?  I don't want to be doing that and I don't use any kind of compression, which sounds like it can be part of the cause.  I also tend to watch my ALC level when I speak and back off the mike when I see the level go past the bar.

Anything else I can be doing?

Sam
W9KDX
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »

Sightly off topic, but is there some specific way you can introduce splatter?  I don't want to be doing that and I don't use any kind of compression, which sounds like it can be part of the cause.  I also tend to watch my ALC level when I speak and back off the mike when I see the level go past the bar.

Anything else I can be doing?

Speech processing will not make bandwidth wide. Processing actually will make the signal narrower, if done correctly. Without processing and ALC , radios and the bands would be a real mess.

Getting beyond ALC system ability to limit power can make the signal wide, but the audio is so nasty I  cannot understand why anyone would do that.

A big time contestor in this area had 100 watt radios, and a radio service up in Atlanta turned the radios up to about 30-50% more than rated power. This of course makes the radios very nasty.

Mistuning an amplifier, or overdriving it, does the same.

Many people tune amplifiers incorrectly.

KQ0C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »

My favorite recent experience was hearing an English station CQ-ing with a wonderfully crisp upper class British accent, with full tonal range and a deep bass voice. After calling him, the response came from the operator with a highly compressed Eastern European accent. Thi smust either have been a club station, or our guy had a friend make his CQ recording.

On the other hand I have also recently heard an asian station use a recording for CQ-ing which was completely unintelliigeable due to poor English pronunciation... but then the operator was pretty easy to understand. His English had gotten much better since he made his recordings.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: