Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend contest a success  (Read 2944 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »

Well at least it was for this small pistol.  I have been bitten very badly by the DX bug, and this weekend has only made it worse.  I was able to contact 61 countries on Saturday (Sunday is family day) which brings my total up to 101  Grin not bad for someone who has only been radio active on HF since August 21 (at least at my home QTH). My mom and dad are both hams and I had been operating at their house prior to that, however only about once a month.  I was licensed originally in Feb (Tech) and got my general in May or June. 

Lets just hope a bunch of the contesters load their logs on LOTW before the contest I had 21 confirmed countries/entities. Hope to at least double that when the contest is all over. 

My system consists of an Icom 7000, stock microphone and a 160m windom antenna that I made my self, with the help of my dad.  This is about as little pistol as i gets.

73's hope to see you all on the bands!     

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »

CQ WW is usually a lot of fun, but this year, with the propagation so good, it was just a HOOT!  It sounds like you had a great time this weekend, too! 
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »

I'm in a very similar situation. New ham and a small pistol station. I had a blast! The bands were CRAZY! It was frustrating competing with so many stronger stations, but in just a few hours on the air I increased my country count by quite a bit and am working my way toward DXCC.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:33:32 PM »

I'm in a very similar situation. New ham and a small pistol station. I had a blast! The bands were CRAZY! It was frustrating competing with so many stronger stations, but in just a few hours on the air I increased my country count by quite a bit and am working my way toward DXCC.

I am glad all you guys worked SSB over the weekend. I did not even take the mic out of the drawer. But... I DID work enough CW to fill out my 10 and 12 meter bands for DXCC. (10, 12, 15, 17, 20 bands all over 100 now. 30 And 40 areclose. Guess I better start thinking about an 80m band antenna.
Most stations (and there were many! were pretty easy to work, with all you guys straining your vocal chords Lips sealed. 73, de Gene AF3Y
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »

I had a blast as I made 25 new countries for QRP DXCC.

The bands were packed all the way to 29.000 !
KD4EUH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »

A good weekend for me.  I was able to replace the deleted PJ2,9 and PJ7,8  using an attic loop and 100 Watts.
They bring my total to 320----all SSB
John 
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:11:37 AM »

I am glad all you guys worked SSB over the weekend. I did not even take the mic out of the drawer

Ditto
I can't wait for the CW version. So far only 1 new one listed on the NG3K contest page, but I'm sure there will be more and there's always the unexpected.

I worked some new band counters this weekend and I even heard a V8......... I'm making progress.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:28:30 AM »

I'm primarily a CW guy, too, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to work so much DX. I concentrated on LotW users (as usual) and bagged all kinds of new and worked but not confirmed countries. Australia and Zimbabwe are two of the worked but not confirmed countries off the top of my head, and a couple dozen others. Bring on CQ WW CW!

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »

Ditto
I can't wait for the CW version. So far only 1 new one listed on the NG3K contest page, but I'm sure there will be more and there's always the unexpected.

Just checked the page and nothing there new for me yet Roll Eyes.  Maybe before the contest.......
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:07:47 AM »

Yep, the contest....I am spent!.....nothing new in the country department, but did work some stuff that I hadn't in a while....the higlight for me was working C5A on both 15 and 10.....never worked Gambia in a contest before.....and getting T70A and C37N were nice catches too....otherwise, about 6 pages of garden variety and the same contest stations we contact every year......Loads of fun.....

V
KA3NRX
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »

Well, I've managed to be inactive for each of the sunspot maxima during the 50 years I've been a ham.  So imagine my fun this weekend on 10 meters!  I had about 60 countries worked on 10 since becoming active again in 2005.  Now, after just goofing around this weekend, I have 110!  That was mostly with 100 watts, too.  I did crank up the amp for Australia, Senegal, and a couple of others.

And I still managed to work TU2T on a couple of bands on CW.

Glad you newcomers had so much fun, too.  Tell everyone you know.  It's all fun!

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »

Sadly, my grand plans for a personal CQWW record were dashed by first heavy-snow coating the yagi and giving an 8:1 SWR on 10/15 then we lost power on Saturday night. It came back at 1:30 Monday afternoon.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 04:43:47 PM »

I had a lot of fun running JA and Russian stations on 17m CW this weekend.  Almost had a pileup.  Smiley  I very rarely use phone, so when I wandered over to 10m and 15m phone bands, I was overwhelmed.  I'm more comfortable in CW contests.  I know I missed out on some good DX this weekend, though, because I'm not a good phone op.  Something to work on...
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »

Sadly, my grand plans for a personal CQWW record were dashed by first heavy-snow coating the yagi and giving an 8:1 SWR on 10/15 then we lost power on Saturday night. It came back at 1:30 Monday afternoon.

You have got to be kidding. You wait all year for this, and the October snow killed you?
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »

Yup. I'm seething. Best propagation I've ever experienced in my life, and the one, single weekend that I plan for all year long and this happens. I thought it was bad 3 years ago when we had line after line of severe thunderstorms on Friday night, followed by a high-wind warning with frequent 60 MPH gusts all day Saturday and into Sunday morning, so I had to bring the tower down to 40 feet with the beam fixed on Africa (so it could clear the trees at that height). That was bad. This was oh so much worse.

I really don't want to think of what's in store next year. Funny enough, I always seem to have good weather-luck in the ARRL-SSB and ARRL-CW contests (early March and late February respectively). And although those are somewhat fun, they're nothing like CQWW. I live for CQWW-SSB.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: