Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was helping with some contests ...but some were wide band...  (Read 6975 times)
KC9RCG

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »

Hopefully I am saying this right but they were bleeding over way above and below the frequency.

Whats with that?
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:48:19 PM »

Welcome to the world of contesting. Basically, all the ham rules and etiquette go out the window. But they are fun and usually only 1-2 days long. 
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:14:15 PM »

Yep, some run all the power they can in a contest. Then, there were some that set up only 1 KHz apart!! That last one led to impossible QRM situations. I also thought I heard someone working LSB on 10 meters, but so long as it's not in the Data/RTTY section, it's still technically legal. My self, I stayed out of the satellite & FM agreed areas as well when using SSB.

It was my first contest, but I expected this to happen. I heard some verbal fist fights on 20 meters when I was an SWL in the 1970's, so I know all this can happen.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »

The cutoff seemed to be 29.000. I had never been past 28.600 LOL !

I got all the way to 29.000. Amazing!
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »

G0AV was up on 28.919 today. I tried calling him, but he didn't hear me.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »

Yep, some run all the power they can in a contest. Then, there were some that set up only 1 KHz apart!! That last one led to impossible QRM situations. I also thought I heard someone working LSB on 10 meters, but so long as it's not in the Data/RTTY section, it's still technically legal. My self, I stayed out of the satellite & FM agreed areas as well when using SSB.

It was my first contest, but I expected this to happen. I heard some verbal fist fights on 20 meters when I was an SWL in the 1970's, so I know all this can happen.

Power has almost nothing to do with bandwidth. Neither does speech processing.

Bandwidth problems are caused by improper operation of the equipment, not the power level.

I've heard 100 watts radios 20 kHz wide, and 1500 watt signals I could get right next to without a problem.

If you want to see dumb things, look at the mods to jack radios up from the designed 100 watts to 130 or more watts, by turning internal power limit pots.

KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 05:43:30 AM »

Welcome to the world of contesting. Basically, all the ham rules and etiquette go out the window.
There endeth the lesson.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »

Welcome to the world of contesting. Basically, all the ham rules and etiquette go out the window.  

Pure BS.

How, exactly do you make such a broad statement?

It may seem like chaos, but there are many stations on from all over the world. All at the same time.

Naturally a bit of confusion results, but all ham rules and basic behavior goes out the window? Maybe in your shack, but not mine and never at any of the shacks where I have guest operated. I suggest that some folks simply can't handle the hurly-burly of the contest.

Hence the broad brush.

Get used to it. Contest season has just started and with conditions getting so good, many more folks will be getting on the air for a bit of contest fun. It looks to be a great season!

73 Gary
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:32 AM »

Pure BS.

How, exactly do you make such a broad statement?

It may seem like chaos, but there are many stations on from all over the world. All at the same time.

Naturally a bit of confusion results, but all ham rules and basic behavior goes out the window? Maybe in your shack, but not mine and never at any of the shacks where I have guest operated. I suggest that some folks simply can't handle the hurly-burly of the contest.

Hence the broad brush.

Get used to it. Contest season has just started and with conditions getting so good, many more folks will be getting on the air for a bit of contest fun. It looks to be a great season!

73 Gary

OMG. You want some cheese with that "whine"?

Well, considering there was plenty of people that were not identifying themselves and were asked by contesters for their call. Then their were people at 21.450 or higher, which put them out of band. And of course, I highly doubt everyone was within power limits. Not to mention the people parking there asses 500 Hz apart.

Saying that, it is still fun. And I don't paint everybody with a broad brush. But that is just the way it is, and that is my opinion, and I am entitled with it. Live with it.
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:47:21 AM »

Not to mention the people parking there asses 500 Hz apart.
No kidding; several spent part of the day repelling boarders from service nets in progress. Not painting with a broad brush either, but I reject the notion that because that's one person's idea of fun (and no dispute there, by all means go for it) that there must be a barroom brawl either, or the "hurly burly" that is supposed to be tolerated by everyone else. Nonsense. Bands busy with contesters is one thing, and a good one at that. No elbow room is another. That's the kind of mentality that says it's OK to riot & burn cars when your team wins. Cliche of "a few bad apples" applies obviously.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »

Not to defend uncouth operators...and there will always be some...most of the ones parking their...er...rear quarters 500 hz from someone else were not even aware the other station was there.  Propagation was such that they could not hear each other but we could hear both just fine.  There's no advantage in a contest to plopping down in a spot where you will be whacked by another guy.

Same thing with nets.  I doubt most contesters would want to compete with nets...or the inevitable members with hurt feelings who feel the need to tune their amps on the frequency for the next couple of hours.  Anyone knowingly setting up shop on an ongoing net or QSO is working at cross purposes with contest success.  That and, of course, being a jerk.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »

Yeah, there are always "All Knobs To The Right" ops.

But there were are also considerate ops with excellent signals.
Consider the DX station with a really fast rate going, taking
the time for 4-5 exchanges to accurately pick up a weak one,
and not even a multiplier at that.

There ARE classy ops out there.
73, Ken  AD6KA
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 07:35:06 AM »

OMG. You want some cheese with that "whine"?

But that is just the way it is, and that is my opinion, and I am entitled with it. Live with it.

POT..KETTLE...BLACK

The irony meter just pegged with that post.

My post was a simple rebuttal of YOUR whine. I like cheese, don't you?

73 Gary
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »

Not to mention the people parking there asses 500 Hz apart.

But last weekend was a CW contest and 500Hz apart is MORE than plenty for CW. If you have decent receiver and use the filtering correctly, you'll never hear someone 500hz away on CW - even at high power!

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:23 PM »

If the cookie company were to hand out a few citations for the antics of raging hormone adolescents using someone else's bigger they they have ever seen in their lives  "contest stations" perhaps the owners of same would exercise a little more control.  I see it as racing on a publc highway during rush  hour.  I say confine it to a subband and let them CQ machine each other to death.  On the other hand, 60 meters is a good place to find old style gentlemen  operatiors.   
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: