Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your longest mobile contact?  (Read 17348 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »

Yesterday coming from my cabin retreat in Gilboa, NY I was calling CQ on 17m CW. As I was nearing home just about 15 miles from destination I get a call that I thought at first was a WA8 call. As I pulled out the call again through the QRN I realized it was JA8RRF from Japan. He heard me fine at 55 - 56 RST.

What got me excited was I run QRP 5watt mobile! That's 6,689.8 miles distance. What's your best via mobile in transit QRP OR not contact?
KF6DBZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »

I used a Yeasu Ft100D when i traveled to Mexicali, Mexico 10 years ago in the car and i talked all over the world on 100 watts. Now i use a Icom 706 M2G in my Honda fit and talk all over the world with 100 watts. I do all this on 10 meters. Germany, Holland etc.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »

I'd say that's pretty darned good from a mobile while QRP!

Working from the east coast of the USA into VK/ZL is pretty easy with 100 watts when propagation is good, and that's about as far away as you can get, I think.  For "rarest" instead of "farthest," I've worked Swaziland,  the Austral Islands, and Tahiti from the car--those are half-decent catches while mobile.

Congratulations on working JA while QRP-mobile! 
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »

I'd say that's pretty darned good from a mobile while QRP!

Working from the east coast of the USA into VK/ZL is pretty easy with 100 watts when propagation is good, and that's about as far away as you can get, I think.  For "rarest" instead of "farthest," I've worked Swaziland,  the Austral Islands, and Tahiti from the car--those are half-decent catches while mobile.

Congratulations on working JA while QRP-mobile! 

Thanks! Smiley

That's what I was wondering. For many years I've done 100 watts or QRO with amps in the field with larger antennas from a wide range and abroad and of course from the QTH. Even from the QTH running QRP Ive worked a lot of DX but given the setup of course it could be done much easier.

From the mobile QRP I have made so many awesome contacts just running QRP in the last month the challenge has become exillerating and shocking. I've been able to break pile ups and even get most contacts within just a couple calls. For me to get Japan was just awesome. I've worked DX and rare DX all over the world but I never get bored of working any DX. now more than ever QRP.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »

Excuse me! "QRP MOBILE"!

It's not like QRP stationary portable.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »

About the furthest place from the USA generally, is Heard Island. It's about 12,000 miles depending on where you live in the continental US. At one time, the Assie's had a maned radar site there, but it's all automatic now I'm told.

When it was manned, it wasn't all that difficult to work, even with 5 watts. No power lines, no digital electronics, etc. Excuse the pun, but they heard well!

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »

Would that be distance station-to-station or distance traveled while staying in contact with a station?  For the former, a 80M contact from NE Ohio to another mobile in Western WA.  For the latter, I had a simplex FM contact that ran on for about 90 miles (we were traveling in the same direction - the other station had to turn off the road or it might have gone on longer).
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »

The longest QSO time wise I ever had, lasted from Salt Lake City, to Denver. That's about 8 hours. I even listened to him when I filled up the tank!

The shortest? When someone answers my CQ, and I find out all he knows what to say is QSL, and Roger That!

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »

About the furthest place from the USA generally, is Heard Island. It's about 12,000 miles depending on where you live in the continental US. At one time, the Assie's had a maned radar site there, but it's all automatic now I'm told.

When it was manned, it wasn't all that difficult to work, even with 5 watts. No power lines, no digital electronics, etc. Excuse the pun, but they heard well!

From you 12,000 miles. Is that long path distance?

Long path distance between Kenichi and I would be 18,589 miles. Still not bad!

I know there are some QRP records out there but Ive always known them to have been done from their QTH with big antennas or from stationary locations. To me I think still a nice feat done while moving mobile. I don't have to mention to you also the fact the antenna I was using is not all the best of efficient type.

I've read a lot of your articles and looked at your web site dozens of times which has helped me with past and present mobile installs. All helpful! In return I've always done very well from the mobile. My YouTube videos show that even with QRP the install helps me break pileups and get DX within just two or three calls if not the first.

Still like to hear from more folks whats their longest contact while mobile. Anyone?
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 05:55:29 AM »

SC to Brisbane Australia around 11,500 miles.  100 watts - not QRP.  Running a Yaesu FT-100D to a Hustler 15 meter resonator with a longer whip to make it "work" on 20 meters.  S7 signal reports both ways.

Dick  AD4U
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »

I was speaking great circle path, not long of short path propagation.

The real truth is, using DX as a measure of anything of importance is a moot point. On any given day, if you pick the right band, the right mode, and a few milliwatts of ERP, you can work around the world, long path, short path, great circle, you name it. This includes operating from a moving vehicle (Lord knows I've proved that!).

If you just have to brag about on-air exploits, then brag about having an hour QSO without using QSL or Roger That!

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »

Europe long path on 20 meters running 100 watts to a hamstick is my best mobile DX. I regularly work Japan on 40 meters running 100 watts to an ATAS-120 screwdriver. The radiated power is about 10 watts.

Running 5 watts mobile from an FT-817 to a 3' MFJ 14 MHz whip I've worked Japan.

On 20 meters and above a mobile antenna can approach the radiation efficiency of a ground plane at a home station.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »

I was speaking great circle path, not long of short path propagation.

The real truth is, using DX as a measure of anything of importance is a moot point. On any given day, if you pick the right band, the right mode, and a few milliwatts of ERP, you can work around the world, long path, short path, great circle, you name it. This includes operating from a moving vehicle (Lord knows I've proved that!).

If you just have to brag about on-air exploits, then brag about having an hour QSO without using QSL or Roger That!

Funny you should say that!

If I wasn't driving with one knee and making a video with one hand while send with the other I probably could've had an hour long QSO with JA. if I were by myself I would've pulled over and shut car off so that I could reduce noise and just rag chew but I couldn't.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »

Europe long path on 20 meters running 100 watts to a hamstick is my best mobile DX. I regularly work Japan on 40 meters running 100 watts to an ATAS-120 screwdriver. The radiated power is about 10 watts.

Running 5 watts mobile from an FT-817 to a 3' MFJ 14 MHz whip I've worked Japan.

On 20 meters and above a mobile antenna can approach the radiation efficiency of a ground plane at a home station.

Sounds good working JA on 40m on regular basis. It does help I think that you being west coast would help a bit shorten the path but that's still great I think anyway.

As far as the comparison between mobile on 20m antenna and vertical ground plane antenna at home is interesting. It sure does seem like it!
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »

One of my most exciting mobie contacts was back in the late '70s.  I had a converted Sears Roadtalker 40 CB SSB rig feeding a CB loaded magmount antenna on my car.  I was driving into work and called CQ.  I got a call from a ham in Belgrade, Yugoslavia!  I almost drove off the road!

Phil - AD5X
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: