Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your longest mobile contact?  (Read 16215 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 10:19:54 AM »

One of my most exciting mobie contacts was back in the late '70s.  I had a converted Sears Roadtalker 40 CB SSB rig feeding a CB loaded magmount antenna on my car.  I was driving into work and called CQ.  I got a call from a ham in Belgrade, Yugoslavia!  I almost drove off the road!

Phil - AD5X

LMAO!

R.F. Is so cool!
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »

Yesterday coming from my cabin retreat in Gilboa, NY I was calling CQ on 17m CW. As I was nearing home just about 15 miles from destination I get a call that I thought at first was a WA8 call. As I pulled out the call again through the QRN I realized it was JA8RRF from Japan. He heard me fine at 55 - 56 RST.

What got me excited was I run QRP 5watt mobile! That's 6,689.8 miles distance. What's your best via mobile in transit QRP OR not contact?

VP8LP in the Falkland Islands. Was mobile running 100W into a Little Tarheel II with a 60" whip on 10m SSB parked up in the middle of town. I'd heard him at home and had to go out so decided to have a go whilst in the car. It was a distance of 8017 miles according to QRZ.com. What made it even better was that there was quite a pileup as well.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »

Wow! Thats just awesome. Was this recent?

Running mobile and still able to bust a pile up is crazy to consider but obviously proven to be just as good as any base operation. I've been making YouTube vids of some of my QRP mobile contacts getting through pileups. To think!

A buddy I can think of that's probably the leading and current mobile that is just making unbelievable contacts is W2WP out of New Jersey. He runs a superior mobile but hes close by now I think to DXCC honor roll just mobile.

Most everyone posted is running 100watts so still waiting for some to mention longest QSO QRP.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »

While driving home from work yesterday evening, 10 meters was
all but dead. Then heard VK4MAX in QSO (this was around 8pm CDT)
with another station (could barely hear the other station).
 Waited until they ended their QSO and gave my call. Dan immediately
came back to me and we had a very nice chat for the next 15 minutes
while I was driving home. I had to stop at a local convenience store to
get a few  things, so that is where we ended our chat. The whole time
both signals were 5 & 5 to 5 &7. He was using a Gap vertical and I was
running my ICOM 706 MKIIG into a Tarheel 100A.
That one was 8,219 miles short path (which I'm sure it was) between
him in Bundaberg South Australia  and me in Millsap, Texas.
It is ALWAYS fun working any DX station while mobile. Even after 38 years
as a ham, I still get excited about working DX either mobile or at home.
james
WD5GWY

W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »

10M and 20M is fun. It's much harder to do long distance DX on the lower bands. The contact that probably has made me happiest in quite a while was last week when I pulled in a VK on 40 meters, at 4 in the afternoon, from New York. Admittedly the noise was terrible here but I was a 56 for him.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »

10M and 20M is fun. It's much harder to do long distance DX on the lower bands. The contact that probably has made me happiest in quite a while was last week when I pulled in a VK on 40 meters, at 4 in the afternoon, from New York. Admittedly the noise was terrible here but I was a 56 for him.
Now, that is a good one! Most I have done on 40 during the day is ragchew with some
locals here in North Texas and a few surrounding states. 40 meters is one of my favorite bands, along with 17 and 10 meters.
james
WD5GWY
KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »

Best long distance mobile contact was while I was driving here in central Indiana and made contact with a Ham just east of Moscow, Russia.  It was on 15 meters.  I was running my Icom IC-7000 at 100 watts into a Jetstream "ham stick" on the roof of my SUV. I gave him a 5/7, he gave me a 5/8.  I looked his station up on QRZ.com and he has a massive beam farm and I think he was running 1kw.  

Best recent mobile-to-mobile contact was with a "7" ham who was driving in upper Washington state.  More than just a contact we had acutally had a conversation.  Again, on 15 meters.  Back in the 90's I remember a 10 meter band opening.  I had a mobile-to-mobile QSO with a ham in Los Angeles.  We both gave a 5/9 20+.  We both agreed that the audio was so clear and strong it sounded like we were sitting next to each other in the same car!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:43:34 PM by KF9ZA » Logged
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »

Longest distance would be Rodriguez Is. on 40m, about 11,000 miles.

Longest time would be another mobile in Chicago, 'bout 3 hours while driving from Texas to Kansas.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 02:53:02 AM »

How about mobile to mobile contacts ? I work Europe and Aussie mobiles from time to time with the 100 watts from the pickup truck.

I don't know about yacking time. A while back 3 of us mobile yacked for over an hour on 17 meters. Two in California, and me in Texas.

73 yall N5UD
G4ZOW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 04:25:19 AM »

All from the mobile here in and around London, England.

Probably the longest trip was VK0TB at the Mawson weather station Antarctica.

Took me a couple of winter seasons  back in the late 70's, early 80's to clear the 51 states if you include DC, then another couple to clear all again mobile to mobile.

Made the guys day up in Nome, Alaska :-)

212 countries confirmed all from the mobile.

Do they offer DXCC from the mobile?

Been off-air now for around 10 years, one day...

(((73)))

G4ZOW
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 06:12:58 AM »

20 meter long path from Utah to Europe running 100 watts of CW.

Everyday mobile DX for me is Europe short path and Australia and New Zealand short path on 20-10 meters and occasionally 40 meters. 
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »

A 40meter mobile contact QRP or QRO to south pacific or Asia would be a good one. Man you guys just gave me a challenge.

Been doing a lot 10-20 meters but from here on in I'm now gonna focus on a QRP 40m mobile contact to Asia or south pacific and make a video to confirm. I think to make it possible may require CW which I'm well suited for but phone could be a possibility given right place and right time.

Let's see how long it will take me from this point on to accomplish a QRP mobile DX contact of this feat.

Oh boy!
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »

Wow! Thats just awesome. Was this recent?

Middle of September this year.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »

All from the mobile here in and around London, England.

Probably the longest trip was VK0TB at the Mawson weather station Antarctica.

Took me a couple of winter seasons  back in the late 70's, early 80's to clear the 51 states if you include DC, then another couple to clear all again mobile to mobile.

Made the guys day up in Nome, Alaska :-)

212 countries confirmed all from the mobile.

Do they offer DXCC from the mobile?

Been off-air now for around 10 years, one day...

(((73)))

G4ZOW
Don't know about the DXCC mobile. But, they certainly should!!
Hope you get back on the air soon. 10 meters mobile is a blast.
The band has just been hopping lately. Maybe, you can scrounge
up a 10 meter radio somewhere and put up a wire antenna and
get on 10.
Good luck and hope to work you one day.......Mobile or otherwise!
james
WD5GWY
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 04:03:03 AM »

ARRL, Bill Moore says no to mobile DXCC. No endorsement, or even award using /M. QSL's with /M will be counted as a regular callsign. As it is land based, at least it is better than /MM. No plans for a mobile award etcetera either.

That's what he told me early this year. I have known Bill since he was a K5.

WD5GWY.... 40 meters is a good DX band. Better than nothing at night. A few nights ago I had a German station call me on SSB. Sunrise is probably best for us W5,s.
Less competition from the east coast.

Relatively speaking, 30 meters is my best DX band as for getting good contacts and breaking pile ups.

73 Tony N5UD /M
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: