Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your longest mobile contact?  (Read 15988 times)
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »

Tony, yes, I have worked some ZL's and VK's on 40 meters early in the morning on my way to work (3am to 5am) in the past. Just never worked any daytime DX on 40 meters.
That would be an interesting thing to do. Especially mobile! I'll have to give it a try.
james
WD5GWY
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 01:12:26 AM »

40 is good for DX down here in Texas up to one hour after sunrise. The before sundown DX, the east coast owns even if I hear somebody well.
N5UD
G4ZOW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »

Hi James, Tony,

Shame about lack of acknowledgement of /M conquests.

You should tell Bill (tongue firmly in cheek) to build a mobile that can talk 'phone' from London to VK on 160m and then tell me /M does not warrant DXCC :-))

I have a bunch of gear James but it would take me a while to build another mobile like I once had. I live in an area where neighbours are not friendly to any antennas so a base station is out of the question right now.

(((73)))

David

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »

Hi James, Tony,

You should tell Bill (tongue firmly in cheek) to build a mobile that can talk 'phone' from London to VK on 160m and then tell me /M does not warrant DXCC :-))

I have a bunch of gear James but it would take me a while to build another mobile like I once had. I live in an area where neighbours are not friendly to any antennas so a base station is out of the question right now.

(((73)))

David

I agree with Dave!

Did some testing today and worked the DX expedition ZK2V. New to the DXCC list and counts for a new one. Did it 5 watts on 28011.0 split CW of course.

I am excited today! Cheesy
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »

Hi James, Tony,

(((73)))

David

David, a simple wire antenna indoors will work pretty good. I have tacked a dipole
up around the ceiling (long enough to do 20 meters and up with a tuner) and made
some contacts. Not as great as an antenna outside and up high. But, it did work and with conditions being what they are now, you might find that you can make some really good contacts from home. Anyway, just a thought that might get you back on the air.
Hope all is well with you.
james
WD5GWY
G4ZOW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 07:56:29 AM »

Hi James,

I'm afraid the boss (I meant the wife) would not appreciate anything like an indoor antenna and I'd always be looking over my should regards QRM complaints.

We also have a lot of interference from power line junk so really, I'm better off mobile and that's the way I like it.

Anyhow, I enjoy making my alternator work for it's living  Wink

(((73)))

David G4ZOW
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »

Hi James,

I'm afraid the boss (I meant the wife) would not appreciate anything like an indoor antenna and I'd always be looking over my should regards QRM complaints.

We also have a lot of interference from power line junk so really, I'm better off mobile and that's the way I like it.

Anyhow, I enjoy making my alternator work for it's living  Wink

(((73)))

David G4ZOW
Now, THAT I understand!!  Cheesy
I cannot key up on 10 Meters at home during the evening as it causes problems with
the wife's TV. Other bands, no problem. As for mobile, I run mobile in my pickup going to and from work and in a big rig ( 2007 Kenworth) during the day while waiting to load or unload. Mobile DX'ing is a lot of fun!
james
WD5GWY
WU3U

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »

I do almost all my hamming mobile since I don't have a fixed station - usually I do "stationary mobile" from wide open, RF advantageous locations around Philadelphia, PA.

I have completed 5 Band WAS using only mobile equipment.  I use 80 to 100 watts into a screwdriver antenna mounted on a 2001 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and 90% CW.

I just started working on DXCC and have logged 75 DXCC entities over about 180 QSOs since October 18th, 2011.

Longest contact to date?

I routinely work stations in Australia - about 10,200 miles or so - on all bands except 80 meters - but especially on 10 meters - at least of late with the FB conditions we've been having, again with 80 to 100 watts into a screwdriver antenna.

On 80, the longest contact is Hawaii - about 4900 miles - but then I am getting maybe a few watts into the air on that band.

Heard Island is further than Australia from here - but I have never worked it.

I have had Japanese stations answer my CQ on ten meters and have received 589 reports.

It is amazing what can be done with a good HF mobile setup especially when you get situated in a really good location with wide open takeoffs to the horizon and especially so if its near salt water.

73 to all,

Tim
WU3U
G4ZOW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 01:24:25 PM »

We know all about sea water here in Europe Tim: http://themagicrobot.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/rni.jpg

(((73)))

David G4ZOW
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 02:28:39 PM »

From Houston TX to Japan on ten watt SSB on 10m.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »

Longest distance?  Australia.  Can't get much further away from Oklahoma than that.
 - Paul
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »

When looking at longest mobile contact, it really depends on
a) band
b) mode (SSB or CW - or, indeed, digital)
c) power

I'm only in the mobile game about 3 years, but from my experience, here in NY, on SSB:

With current band conditions, 10M around the world is doable.
20M to Australia and New Zealand from New York is doable mid-cycle at night.
40M to Australia is doable. I've done it in daylight (mid afternoon) recently.
80M - I've been getting into this in the past few weeks and can do Europe regularly. My focus will be on farther afield now.
160M - I've done up to about 2000 miles and will work on it this winter.

Note all the above is on SSB with 10-500 watts. I plan to start trying CW on 160.  My operations on10-80M have been both stationary and parked.
Because my truck and antenna are high, it's not feasible to use a long whip for 160 when driving, so most of my focus on Top band has been when parked.

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 05:17:33 AM »

Being a ham since 1965, I always heard mobile DXing is tough. Last year I got back into HF mobile. Last time was in the 70's. What an improvement in equipment today. After making many stateside QSO's with good reports, I started calling some DX. Gee I could work them too. So first of the year, from down here in Texas, I decided to give DX a good effort. I have worked about 235 DXCC countries. I have heard about 20 more I could not work. A good many of these QSO's are actually in motion.

Take yesterday morning. I went out for a Starbucks run. Turned on rig, and set antenna for 17 meters while in the driveway. About the time I turned onto the main road, I heard VQ9 blasting in. Found the up split, and hit the pre-programmed call button. He came right back ! My key was still on the floor board. He was giving name, etc. All I could do was hit the signal report button. VQ9 worked before I got to the traffic light 1/2 mile from the house.

Solar Flux numbers are up, and that has helped the DX QSO's. Some DX guys listen for mobile. Some don't do anything but take the strongest signal. That is part of the missed 20. I can't break east coast or west coast wall depending on the DX direction. Some of the missed have been S7-S9 ! Certainly workable. Some on multiple days.

73 Tony N5UD/M my only HF station
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 05:31:30 AM »

Well as long as I am on yesterday's Starbucks run. I had my coffee, and a chocolate for the YF. I was in the parking lot. Now on 20 meters SSB. I heard YB26SEAG special station. Not strong but fair copy at S5 or so. He is working EU, AS, and NA. I got a hand from KA2EYH in Indiana , that told the DX a mobile is calling. This does not very often these days.

YB26SEAG calls for the mobile. He gets my call, and asks if I am mobile ? He gave me 57 just the same as many other reports he had been giving out. I gave 55.

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 06:42:29 AM »

Well as long as I am on yesterday's Starbucks run. I had my coffee, and a chocolate for the YF. I was in the parking lot. Now on 20 meters SSB. I heard YB26SEAG special station. Not strong but fair copy at S5 or so. He is working EU, AS, and NA. I got a hand from KA2EYH in Indiana , that told the DX a mobile is calling. This does not very often these days.

YB26SEAG calls for the mobile. He gets my call, and asks if I am mobile ? He gave me 57 just the same as many other reports he had been giving out. I gave 55.

Now that's a good one! Isn't it amazing that you can get as good a report sometimes as good from the base? Good job!

If you also think about it the plus side is you get to keep in motion taking care of everyday things of course but if you decide you don't want to stay cooped up in the shack you can get out and still enjoy DX.  

Another plus is you may not miss out on things you would've missed staying in the shack where you can't see anything. That's why I portable QRP often now at days.

73!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:48:51 AM by N2RRA » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: