Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXCC Card Checking  (Read 3068 times)
KE5GAE

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »

As I get closer to the point where I'm going to be submitting some cards for checking, I have a question about the process.

I'm aware of the practice or recommendation of submitting a few extra in case something is denied.  My question is whether applies only to the total number of entities submitted, or whether it could apply to multiple submissions for the same entity.  For example, I've got cards for two different F0 (French Polynesia) stations.  Would it be acceptable to submit both for checking, in case one is rejected?  Or, as already asked, is the recommendation for submitting extra cards apply only to additional entities?

TIA.

Basil
KE5GAE
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »

If I remember correctly, the initial application
covers 120 cards/contacts.
So, it is perfectly acceptable to submit
2 cards for the same entity especially if they
are for different bands or different modes.

So far, I have not had a single card declined.
I have DXCC for Mixed, CW Phone & Digital =
lots of cards or lotw confirmations submitted.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »

I had my QSL for a confirmation from FRANCE rejected from my initial DXCC application in 1979! I am glad I sent in QSLs for 102 countries (I got credit for 101). The checker said the "3" in the call seemed to be a doctored "5" and rejected the card. I just wish I could get another QSL from France, that would put me at #299.  Grin

paul
KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »

I had my QSL for a confirmation from FRANCE rejected from my initial DXCC application in 1979! I am glad I sent in QSLs for 102 countries (I got credit for 101). The checker said the "3" in the call seemed to be a doctored "5" and rejected the card. I just wish I could get another QSL from France, that would put me at #299.  Grin

paul
What am I not understanding?  You have 298 entities, and France is not one of them?  I would think that getting a QSL from France would not be that hard.  I'm a "little pistol," and work France with ease.
KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »

Well, I would expect it to be okay if for a different mode or band.  I guess the controlling factor is the total number (not to exceed 120), and if there are multiple entries for a given entity/band/mode, then only one will count.  In that sense, it isn't any different than with LOTW.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »

As I get closer to the point where I'm going to be submitting some cards for checking, I have a question about the process.

I'm aware of the practice or recommendation of submitting a few extra in case something is denied.  My question is whether applies only to the total number of entities submitted, or whether it could apply to multiple submissions for the same entity.  For example, I've got cards for two different F0 (French Polynesia) stations.  Would it be acceptable to submit both for checking, in case one is rejected?  Or, as already asked, is the recommendation for submitting extra cards apply only to additional entities?

TIA.

Basil
KE5GAE

Basil,

I would check those two different F0 (French Polynesia) cards a little closer. There are 4 FO DXCC entities to the best of my knowledge (and according to the ARRL DXCC List). These are:

FO-A     Austral Island
FO-M    Marquesas Island
FO-F     French Polynesia
FO-C    Clipperton Island

I believe that they are all in the French Polynesia island chain but count as seperate entities. You could have 2 credits vice one there Smiley

And yes, I was advised to have a couple extra in the pile for the initial submission. Lucky I did too because I had 2 that were not accepted. I submitted 105 to be on the safe side.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:01:21 PM »

I remember having my hand-checked card for S79GM/F rejected because I already had France.

This was not noticed until I got my paperwork back from the ARRL.

A year later I corrected that by pointing out that the /F meant their stay at Farquhar.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »

If the ARRL is limiting you to 120 cards, then consider sending 120 cards.
Bob
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »

They're not limiting you to 120 cards. They include the cost of having 120 records entered into the system for the basic fee. You can submit as many cards as you like if you're prepared to pay for them to be entered. I twice brought up 300+ physical cards to Newington and this year's application, though mostly LoTW, will be close to 350 records (334 as of Oct. 31st, with 2 months to go).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »

I remember having my hand-checked card for S79GM/F rejected because I already had France.

This was not noticed until I got my paperwork back from the ARRL.

A year later I corrected that by pointing out that the /F meant their stay at Farquhar.

My weird QSL story is having a 5N Nigeria (Italian op in 5N) card rejected because the country name "NIGERIA" was not printed on the card. I got another card (actual card design but had NIGERIA hand written on it) and it was accepted next time submitted.

Had a CE0 Juan Fernandez Island card with 'Robinson Curuso Island' printed on it. The field checker got it approved by Mr. DXCC himself (Bill Moore) who was overseeing the checking at Visalia DX Convention that year. Seems that Robinson Curuso Island is another name used for that entity. Who knew (other than Mr. Moore)? Smiley

Pays to watch the checking for little things like these.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »

paul
What am I not understanding?  You have 298 entities, and France is not one of them?  I would think that getting a QSL from France would not be that hard.  I'm a "little pistol," and work France with ease.

That part about need France NOW was a joke; I think I sent in a card from France when I went from 100 to 200. But I had Syria and Clipperton confirmed before I had France confirmed. I guess it is good that he REALLY looked at all the cards. How funny would it have been if my USA card was rejected!

paul
KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »

Basil,

I would check those two different F0 (French Polynesia) cards a little closer. There are 4 FO DXCC entities to the best of my knowledge (and according to the ARRL DXCC List). These are:

FO-A     Austral Island
FO-M    Marquesas Island
FO-F     French Polynesia
FO-C    Clipperton Island

I believe that they are all in the French Polynesia island chain but count as seperate entities. You could have 2 credits vice one there Smiley

And yes, I was advised to have a couple extra in the pile for the initial submission. Lucky I did too because I had 2 that were not accepted. I submitted 105 to be on the safe side.

Gene W5DQ
Wow, I'm glad you brought that to my attention. 

This summer, I worked FO/F6CTL at two locations:  (1) on Ua Pou in the Marquises, and (2) Rangiroa in the Tuamotu.  In addition to these two, I've worked FO5QJ in Tahiti.  Now that you've brought it to my attention, I see the following in current DXCC list:

FO       French Polynesia             
FO/X     Clipperton Island             
FO0A     Austral Islands               
FO0M     Marquesas Islands         

The second of the two FO/F6CTL QSO's, in the Tuamotu islands, is not listed as a separate entity, and it and the QSL with FO5QJ probably only count for one between them.  But the QSL from Ua Pou should count as a separate entity.

Again, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Basil
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 09:11:41 PM »

Has anyone received any QSL's from FO/F6CTL ?

I sent direct for mine right after he shut down operations in July. Nothing yet for those 4 QSO's, 3 countries.

73 N5UD
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 03:29:16 AM »

Has anyone received any QSL's from FO/F6CTL ?

I sent direct for mine right after he shut down operations in July. Nothing yet for those 4 QSO's, 3 countries.

73 N5UD
Sent mine on 16 July, received back 25 September.
KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 04:33:54 AM »

Sent mine on 16 July, received back 25 September.
I received two, maybe even before that.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: