Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WorldRadio magazine from CQ communications  (Read 7617 times)
W4ARZ

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »

WorldRadio was a great magazine. CQ communications picked up this little gem and made it available for download as a pdf file for 3 years. free of charge.. While we missed the had copy, the new e version had color and some great articles. When CQ decided it was time to make it avail by subscription only..most of us applauded it and gave it a thumbs up.. I would gladly pay for a WorldRadio 12 issue subscription. That is until I discovered that NOW you have to download a special reader from ZINIO....and that you NEVER are able to download the actual issue as a file to save , and store on disk for future reference... It resides ONLY in the Zinio Library where you create an account.. You never own it ..even though you Paid for it...AND you MUST log into your account at ZINIO if you ever want to read your magazines that you paid for..... I contacted CQ as well as Zinio and was told it was due to copyright issues and piracy issues... Come ON people.. CQ also publishes Pop Comm , CQ and CQ VHF as a hard copy... They were able to GIVE us WorldRadio as a downloadable PDF file for 3 yrs..Now that we agree to buy it as a sub...they keep us from owning a copy.... Please contact CQ communications and voice your concern..Perhaaps they will change the delivery system and let us have our own copy ( or file ) in this case.
It could be their way of totally killing off the magazine as they would have an excuse by telling us the subscriber base was too small to continue it.. Please let them know how you feel about it also.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 01:08:04 AM »

I have a simple fix for that problem--ignore that particular magazine--and any other that CQ wants to limit in that way.  If nobody looked at their purposely limited offerings, they would have to change their way of doing things.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:38:11 PM »

That is precisely the reason I will never subscribe to an on-line only magazine.  Too many games, gimmicks, and rights limiting BS, not to mention, it makes it fairly difficult to read in the 'library'. 

These are the same reasons I am not on-board with things like Kindle, as it has done in the past, Amazon on a whim can 'cancel' your book 'license' and you no longer have access to it even though you have paid for it.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:23:42 PM »

On the kindle I can down load them on my kindle and read them, or down load them to my computer and read them with the free kindle computer app, so yes, I do buy them and I actually have a copy on my computer also.   I find kindle an amazing device.  I just donate over a thousand  paperbacks, mostly si fi and action,  to a local charity as I only kept about 200 of my favorite books to reread later.  but yes, you can down load and keep kindle books, as well as get free books from the Gutenberg Project, and also from you local library.
NNILRADIO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »

This topic has been much discussed among the local hams.  I subscribed to the digital format World Radio.  I still have a stack of printed issues and have saved all of the pdf issues that CQ provided free of charge.   That said. I have all but stopped reading the Zinio based publication.  It is stuck on my computer and within a "slow to turn the page" reader.  I subscribed only after communicating with Zinio to see if it would be readable on my hand held reader which reads pdf, epub and txt files.  Zinio provided an "non answer" by email not addressing my question at all.  I foolishly took a chance and ordered.  Because I cannot load applications to my reader, I cannot view World Radio on it.   I communicated with CQ and received a "real" answer which said they recognized the problem and I was not the only one complaining. They said they were "working on it" but basically not to hold my breath.... At least CQ is aware.  Still doesn't solve my problem....  I will not be re subscribing to WR or any other CQ digital publication until this problem is solved.
John, W9JGO
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »

I'm also ticked off with the CQ folks because when they took over World Radio, there were many "Lifetime Subscribers" to WR who paid big bucks for those subscriptions.  CQ  "bought out" these "lifers" with a three year subscription/extension to CQ.  We were also promised free future access to WR via the on-line version.  Now they want to charge those of us who paid for the lifetime subscription AND anyone else who wants to read it...  Not Me!  I'm done with them.  I don't plan on renewing CQ when it comes due and I've subscribed to it since the mid-1970's.   
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 09:01:17 AM »

The magazine could have gone out of business with no one there to pick up the pieces.
Ham Radio Horizions, Ham Radio, Communications Quarterly, 73 Mag... all history.

Pete
W8COP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »

I too had a lifetime subscription to WR,and took the 3 years of CQ as "payment" when WR went digital. I think what they have done is possibly illegal,perhaps may be considered mail fraud. When my 3 years expires,CQ will NEVER get another penny from me.
K0BKL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »

I will not renew Popular Communications when it runs out. I am done with them!
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »

A "Lifetime Subscription" to any magazine, or a "Lifetime Guarantee" on any product, does not imply, or mean, YOUR lifetime.  It's the lifetime of the manufacturer of the item, or in this case, the lifetime of the publisher.  The previous publisher of WorldRadio ceased to exist when the he sold WorldRadio to CQ Communications, Inc., rather than ceasing publication and closing its doors.  CQ Communications, Inc. was doing all of you a favor by giving you one of their products for free to make up for the amount of money you spent on the Lifetime Subscription with Armond Noble.  NONE of the money tendered to Armond Noble's publishing company was escrowed, none was used as accrued income, and none of the lifetime subscription money paid to Armond Noble was transferred to CQ.  Simply put, when Armond Noble sold WorldRadio, your "Lifetime Subscription" was terminated.

If you have a beef, it should be with Armond Noble... not CQ!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:37:12 PM by W9CW » Logged
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 08:15:01 AM »

A "Lifetime Subscription" to any magazine, or a "Lifetime Guarantee" on any product, does not imply, or mean, YOUR lifetime.  It's the lifetime of the manufacturer of the item, or in this case, the lifetime of the publisher.  The previous publisher of WorldRadio ceased to exist when the he sold WorldRadio to CQ Communications, Inc., rather than ceasing publication and closing its doors.  CQ Communications, Inc. was doing all of you a favor by giving you one of their products for free to make up for the amount of money you spent on the Lifetime Subscription with Armond Noble.  NONE of the money tendered to Armond Noble's publishing company was escrowed, none was used as accrued income, and none of the lifetime subscription money paid to Armond Noble was transferred to CQ.  Simply put, when Armond Noble sold WorldRadio, your "Lifetime Subscription" was terminated.

If you have a beef, it should be with Armond Noble... not CQ!

That's only your opinion.  What do you base your opinion on?  The magazine DID continue to exist and was never suspended during the transition.  Only the print version was ended.  All the Lifetime Subscribers were told the magazine would continue to be available online at no cost.  Typically, when a company is sold, the buyer (CQ) assumes the assets AND liablilities of the company being bought (World Radio). 
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »

Typically all that is transferred is the rights to the name, and the subscriber list.

Pete
W6PDC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »

Count me in, as another "miffed" lifetime subscriber to WR, who was quite underwhelmed with the conversion to 3 yrs. of CQ, though overall not too upset while WR was still "free" on-line (gee, how about former WR lifers continuing to get free on-line access as a decent compromise? But with the Zinio involvement, "ain't nutin' gonna be free/easy" from here on out...)

Given the "Emcomm" bias of both CQ & QST in recent years (or is that decades???) I'm starting to spend less time with either, and as a died in the wool techie, never have/had much use for the plethora of a certain WB6... authored items in CQ, so clearly won't be reading it beyond next Jan. when the "era ends."

A shame that of my three lifetime ham radio publications  (QST, WR, QCWA), only two are still going, and QCWA having money troubles, likely to be undergoing changes soon... Would love ER to offer lifetime/multiple year subs, too!

My QST lifetime is probably one of the best/smartest things I've done in the ham radio hobby; signed up ca. 1974 @$120, and broken into 6 $20 installments. The ARRL even kept up with me as I moved around while in the Marine Corps, right out of highschool- keep that $120 in perspective with an E1 pay of, IIRC, $199/month ca. 1975 ;-)

One thing I feel "shortchanged on," ARRL-wise, is that to effectively equal the content of QST several decades back (I'm mostly interested in technical articles, contesting, VHF+ and vintage gear), I need to add a QEX & NCJ subscription (tho, I will admit that the amount of content from all 3 does exceed that of the old, so not a completely "fair" assesment). I would jump at the chance for getting a lifetime subscription to both QEX & NCJ, since it peeves me to not have reduced price, multiple year subscriptions available. Likely a moot issue, given wholesale conversion to digital within the next few years!

Do understand the element of risk/lifetime of the publication issue: about the same time I became a lifetime ARRL member, my brother bought a lifetime subscription to "Stategy & Tactics" a wargaming magazine that included a board game in each issue: don't think that lasted to the end of the '70s, even, so his $100 certainly wasn't the "deal" my $120 was.

Guess as long as we end up getting a discount from annual subscription prices for the duration of a lifetime sub, s'pose we can't really complain.

Paul, W6PDC
KE0AZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 03:53:01 AM »

I subscribe to Linux Journal, and they send me a link monthly, to download the latest issue. They say "this link is for you only, please don't share it". Simple as that. I can download in PDF or EPUB format. I wish other mags would follow suit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: