Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo................ Vincenzo.......................  (Read 176792 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 06:35:48 PM »

One other thing that makes the radio slightly more desirable... http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/view.asp?FN=\M0005622.pdf

It's an All-American Six and somewhat unusual for sets with an RF amp as the circuit isn't tuned through a variable L/C network. It's a broadband design of (probably) moderate gain that includes a simple 456 KC trap across the plate to ground. That's to prevent a feedback loop through the IF amp.

Should have the same selectivity as an AA5 but with noticeably better sensitivity than the Edsel.

Never change a password on a Friday                
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »

This past Wednesday I stopped by Harbor Freight to pick up the 24 piece assorted watch battery blister card and what do I see.......... A nine LED mini flashlight on sale for a paltry $1.49. Made no sense not to buy one, so I get it home to find that it really is aluminum and does come with batteries. Remarkably bright, too. The only thing it needed was a dab of grease on the threads of the battery cap as it felt like it wanted to bind.

Last night I'm at the Dollar Tree buying soap and stuff like that. They have a three LED flashlight with no batteries for a dollar. Incredibly bright but not as nice as the Harbor Freight item as it's in a plastic case and the on/off switch on mine sticks a bit.

Also noticed a portable door alarm thing that you hang on a motel room doorknob. If the motion sensor twitches it lets you know that you're not alone.

So why am I telling you this?

Imagine the 9 LED flashlight from Harbor freight canabalized for the LED's. Or, if you don't have a nearby Harbor Freight, the three LED jobbie from Dollar Tree. With tax that's like 35 cents per bright white LED. And, as for the door alarm, it comes with three LR44 (A76) 1.5 volt Alkaline button cells which are common in calculators. Throw the alarm away and you're looking at 35 cents per battery. Helluva' Deal.........  Grin

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »

Now this is what I call a manly signal generator.... All 54 pounds of it.... http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9605794

Even the instruction manual virtually drips with cosmoline and testosterone: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/gr/1001a%282%29/

Not one dude who ever worked with a GR 1001A had Iggy Envy again. Not one. They're made in Massachusetts, ya' know, not some waxed paper condenser infested swamp like Benton Harbor......  Wink
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:57:53 PM by AC5UP » Logged

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »

Hey, can't we talk on 40 or 80? I put up a trap dipole.

Anyway, I hit an auction last week and purchased a Crosley D-25 dashboard radio for $77. That will be project for later. In the same auction, some flipper got into a bidding war with me for a Zenith Royal 1000-1. I bailed at $45, knowing that a working complete radio was going for $75-100 on fleebay. Well, that flipper put that radio up on fleebay for $495! It was missing an wavemagnet and did not fully work. The price was already dropped $379! LOL. He will not even get what he paid for it!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

HA !!  You thought this thread had gone toes up! But like a virtual zombie, it walks the earth again..............  [ bwahahahahahahaha! ]

Check It Out:               http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11043080

40 channel synthesized but otherwise hollow state... 6BQ5 final, too!       http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/robyn/t_240d/index.htm

Yeah, I know you're holding out for a clean pair of Browning Twins, but until then, remember that yellow is like a banana.

It has appeal.     Tongue

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »

HA !!  You thought this thread had gone toes up! But like a virtual zombie, it walks the earth again..............  [ bwahahahahahahaha! ]

Check It Out:               http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11043080

40 channel synthesized but otherwise hollow state... 6BQ5 final, too!       http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/robyn/t_240d/index.htm

Yeah, I know you're holding out for a clean pair of Browning Twins, but until then, remember that yellow is like a banana.

It has appeal.     Tongue

I actually had one as one of my early restoration projects. The radio was in great shape, but no RX or TX. I was abole to fix the TX because of an open resistor in the chain. Nice receive! But the TX proved to be a pain. It got it back, but it would drop out after you started speaking into the mic. Then it was coming back on every 4th or 5th key up. I finally requested assistance from a club member that was great with tube radios. We traced it done to what appeared to be a intermittent IF can, or one of the cans. we were unable to correct the problem, and after the time we both had put into it, we scrapped it for parts, and actually did pretty good as it was in demand.

Those radios suffered from dead RX, and I hear the PLL PCB was a notorious failure, and when it went, it was game over.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:12 PM »

So................. You had a sweet, sweet hybrid meticulously designed for the always popular 27 MC band and managed to love it to death on your workbench?

D'oh!

In the future, when you come across something you can't quite fix, let's try putting it away until some future time when you either achieve a Zen-Like understanding of the world beyond the AA5 - or - you finally score the brain transplant you've always wanted. Who knows? Maybe in another 30-40 years you'll figure out the mysterious art of logical troubleshooting and/or how to use a voltmeter.

The radio didn't want to die, didn't need to die, all it wanted was to light up one more Bubba at the truckstop. Was that too much to ask?

Grin

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »

So................. You had a sweet, sweet hybrid meticulously designed for the always popular 27 MC band and managed to love it to death on your workbench?

D'oh!

In the future, when you come across something you can't quite fix, let's try putting it away until some future time when you either achieve a Zen-Like understanding of the world beyond the AA5 - or - you finally score the brain transplant you've always wanted. Who knows? Maybe in another 30-40 years you'll figure out the mysterious art of logical troubleshooting and/or how to use a voltmeter.

The radio didn't want to die, didn't need to die, all it wanted was to light up one more Bubba at the truckstop. Was that too much to ask?

The part was not available. I actually tried to get a parts unit but was outbid. The bottom line was that the repair costs for the parts unit, and time that was put in by myself and a fellow ham, was not going to bring half of what was put in.  Sometime, you just have to cut your losses.

Grin
NB3O

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »

Hi Vince, are you or 5UP interested in an old United Sci Labs Contact 23 (price-reduced)?

The XYL is forcing me to throw the last vestige of a normal childhood overboard.

I can email a few pics if interested..

I was going to take it to the Berryville (VA) hamfest tomorrow but wanted to avoid any additional embarrassment from the rest of the carload (some more modern Royce 23 Gyro-Locks, a Bearcat 23C, etc which may end up in the dumpster anyway).

I will leave the grunge in place as to not lessen the historical value....although I believe it to be restorable and can probably be crystal'd and re-capped to aggravate a few up on 29.200.

Seriously, yours just for the price of shipping, since I know you could give it a good home and be beyond ground-wave on 10 meters.....

http://www.cbgazette.com/usl_contact23.html

http://cbtricks.com/radios/usl/contact_23/graphics/usl_contact_23_sch.pdf

I'm good on the 'zed.
Steve NB3O
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »

Steve,

Love the rig. But if it were 40, I would take it. I only talk on 32, and really would get away with a one channel CB. I have been restoring AA5s and some SW. If it is from your childhood, I would bribe the wife to keep it. I still have my first CB because my father finally gave it to me for Christmas 1983. It is not worth $20. But it's priceless
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »

I appreciate the offer but I think I'll pass on this one and let Vinnie mull it over... I have a buttload of projects that have been hanging loose for better than a decade and if I lived to be 100 wouldn't finish them all. I also appreciate the links to the pic and schematic as it's interesting to see how that particular box mixed its way to 23 channel T/R using only 11 crystals.

Note to N4NYY:  10 tubes (which is twice your usual), transformer power supply, DC inverter, plate modulated... Nothing exotic under the hood except for the 6BJ7 triple diode (rare tube) and one of these jobbies: http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ck1121.html

An optoisolator is used in the audio compressor TX ALC. Interesting concept. If it's bad a grain of wheat lamp and a photoresistor could be rigged as a sub but since this is a CB it could be jumpered for 150% modulation just like the truck stop dudes operate. As for the 6BJ7, a pair of 6AL5's could sub with a diode to spare. Another interesting feature is the dual conversion RX with a second IF at 262 KC's. Believe it or don't, that IF frequency was used in gazillions of car radios back in the day so it's not as oddball as you think. Hell, I was cleaning out the garage last winter and...........

Thanks again to NB3O but if I had it there's a good chance it would sit unloved until hell started to frost up. With Vinnie there's a chance it could survive the Workbench of Death, unlike a Robyn 240-T.

BTW: How cool is it this thread is approaching 13,000 hits? Geez, must be some truly bored dudes out there.......................    Roll Eyes

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »

5UP,

I have a pair of these in mint condition. They works last I tried them over 10 years ago. I may have to fire them up again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1964-Sears-Roebuck-Walkie-Talkie-9-Transistor-/180669544857?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item2a10be7999
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »

Let me guess...

In your yout you hosted the walkie talkie net every Wednesday night @ 8:00pm on Channel 14.
It was always a five minute net 'cuz that's exactly how long the batteries lasted for net control............................    Roll Eyes

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »

Let me guess...

In your yout you hosted the walkie talkie net every Wednesday night @ 8:00pm on Channel 14.
It was always a five minute net 'cuz that's exactly how long the batteries lasted for net control............................    Roll Eyes

These are 1965 vintage that I picked up. These were good radios. The ones I had were El Cheapos from like 1976.
NB3O

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »

"It is not worth $20. But it's priceless"

Excellent point.  It stays out of the wood chipper for now.....
Especially after 5UP highlighted some of the unusual technology (by today's standards). 

If I dust it off, it should serve as a good talking point at the next club meeting to dispel the stereotype about crappy CB radio design (OK, maybe stretching it a bit).  Maybe even check to see if the CK1121 operates the ALC..after a couple cap upgrades.

I'm beginning to understand, from this particular thread, the vast amount of projects versus space-time continuum, and have now adopted the 20-year rule based on average life expectancy.....

That said, I did have some success moving a lot of other (s)crap the Berryville hamfest today which at least demonstrated "intent" to thin the heard. 

Enough was sold to pay for the Ruritan's barbeque chicken, fuel, and admission plus a couple left over.

This included unloading a pair of 1970 vintage Motorola BellBoy paging transmitters which each had a pair of 4CX250-looking finals that were conduction cooled and yielded over 300 watts continuous at 152 MHz. 

Unfortunately, I heard something pop as I lowered the power supply section in some old timer's minivan.  The day ended rather painfully.

"Geez, must be some truly bored dudes out there......."

Yep...with a six pack and a couple ibuprofen.  Think of this thread as "therapeutic"...
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: