Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo................ Vincenzo.......................  (Read 143270 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »

What did you expect for ten bucks?
Two broken Heathshkits and eight dollars in change.....?

Never change a password on a Friday                
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2012, 08:11:26 AM »

VINNIE !!

You don't know it yet, but you want this:   http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11557817
If only because it's way cool to look at.

You want this, too:  http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11566623
Five tubes, AC-DC, I know you can relate.

And..... It's quiz time!
Just by looking at the pictures, tell me why this Browni 12 transistor Hi-Fidelity radio has the potential of being an above average station grabber:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11570088

Hint:  It has nothing to do with the number of transistors.    Tongue

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2012, 09:23:40 AM »

But it maybe has something to do with the number of gangs on the tuning cap.....
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »

There are actually - two - parts pictured inside the radio that caught my eye as evidence of an above-average design effort.

Surely my friend Vinnie can spot at least one of them, ya' think?

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »

The antenna looks like one of the ferrite bar antennas. If that is what I can actually see. The resolution sucks.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »

Ding! Ding! Ding!

The ferrite bar is unusually long for a no-name Japanese transistor radio of the 60's and as a general rule the longer (larger) the ferrite in the loopstick the better. I just noticed one more feature on the pc board so there are three potential reasons why this could be a serious radio.......

What are the other two in this picture?

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »

I cannot tell. How the hell can you see it?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »

The three things of interest are:

1) The large-ish ferrite rod antenna. With antennas, size does matter.

2) The three gang tuning condenser. As a general rule this implies a tuned RF amplifier ahead of the mixer (kudos to G3RZP). This means one gang (usually the one with the largest plates) resonates the loopstick at the intended frequency, the next peaks the RF amplifier to match, the third tunes the local oscillator. If this had been an AM / FM radio there would be a minimum of four gangs but since it's AM only the third gang tells you there's an extra tuned stage up front.

3) Count the number of "IF cans". The green slug jobbie in the lower left probably couples the RF amp to the mixer stage while the red can slightly to its right is the local oscillator coil. So what's up with the remaining three cans? Two stages of IF amplification plus a detector coil (the two IF cans are on either side of the speaker magnet). With two tuned stages in the front end plus three tuned stages in the IF / detector, the radio should be noticeably more sensitive and selective than the typical AA5 or six transistor pocket portable where the antenna circuit connects directly to the mixer and there is only one IF coil plus one detector coil.

If we had a schizmatic we could confirm this, but if what I suspect is true there are no ideas in the Browni that haven't been used in high end receivers since the early 30's by RCA, Zenith and others. You just don't see it very often in a 60's vintage pocket portable, aside from a few high end Zenith and Motorola designs.

Which is why Zenith Royale transistor radios tend to fetch premium coin. You can read the PC board on a yard sale radio by noticing things like this to pick the winners from the runner-ups in terms of design sophistication......   Wink

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2012, 08:01:29 PM »

It is a Browni Browni TR-121GCS. I cannot find much in the form of a schematic.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »

This one also has a three gang tuning condenser

You can find the squidmatic on Page 58 of the Beitme Most Needed book from 1960. When that radio was brand new the president was nicknamed " Ike " and the Veep was not a crook. Yet. Gotta' love those Conelrad marks...    Roll Eyes

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »

Yo Vinnie... What about this one   http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vintage-RCA-Victor-Electric-Radio-11583824.html

It looks nicer and I bet it would bring in those Yankee games or even the Mets!

wn2c  Rick
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2012, 07:03:04 AM »

Vinnie would likely have several issues with that radio...

1)  It's not a Philco. Vinnie loves him them Philco's, especially the phugly ones.
2)  As this picture plainly shows, someone has unsoldered one side of the internal loop antenna. It would take Vinnie weeks to figure that out.
3)  Referring to the same picture, notice the metal tube. Vinnie does not approve of metal tubes. They deny him the uniquely tubular experience of filament glow which is like a religious thing with him. He thinks of a 6SN7 as the " Gemini " tube.

OTOH.............  Despite not being a Philco, this radio is phugly enough to catch Vinnie's eye. I think it's the Phabulous Phifties color and Conelrad accent marks that would attract him. Since the radio is advertised as working, I say there's a 50 / 50 chance Vinnie could fix it.

BTW:   What Vinnie really needs is this!

Just Sayin'      Roll Eyes

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »

Vinnie would likely have several issues with that radio...

1)  It's not a Philco. Vinnie loves him them Philco's, especially the phugly ones.
2)  As this picture plainly shows, someone has unsoldered one side of the internal loop antenna. It would take Vinnie weeks to figure that out.
3)  Referring to the same picture, notice the metal tube. Vinnie does not approve of metal tubes. They deny him the uniquely tubular experience of filament glow which is like a religious thing with him. He thinks of a 6SN7 as the " Gemini " tube.

OTOH.............  Despite not being a Philco, this radio is phugly enough to catch Vinnie's eye. I think it's the Phabulous Phifties color and Conelrad accent marks that would attract him. Since the radio is advertised as working, I say there's a 50 / 50 chance Vinnie could fix it.

BTW:   What Vinnie really needs is this!

Just Sayin'      Roll Eyes

I am still looking for one of those 755.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2012, 06:40:14 PM »

Grin

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »

Rat bastard!   Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: