Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo................ Vincenzo.......................  (Read 158295 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »

Yo......... Vinnie............. Check it out:   http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html

The Harbor Freight DIY home colonoscopy kit!  Nothing says "Happy Holidays" like a quick look up the chimney... So to speak...

Never change a password on a Friday                
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »

actually a pretty nice camera.  only beef I have with mine is that whenever I use it, I end up holding it so dern close to my face it's hard to read due to the 36 inch fiber tube.

it's not heavy technology, just repurposing a bunch of cell phone parts with two runs of fiber in a gooseneck.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »

That could work with my damn eyesight. I worked at HRO today (Black Friday). What a friggin zoo!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2012, 07:23:09 PM »

...nothing says Seasons Greetings like 100' of RG-8X.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

Got the Zenith 755M. Leather, metal, and plastic all completely cleaned and restored. Waiting on Mouser for caps and resistors. This was working so it may not need repair. Leather was sun-faded. Not much I could do about that.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »

You won't do this but I'll tell you the story anyway..........

About 10 years ago I scored a well-used pair of Wolverine work boots on the cheap at at thrift shop. Good fit, wanted them for yard work where I didn't care if they got abused, but previous owner must have done tile or carpet work because the toes were scuffed like you wouldn't believe.

For some reason that bugged me after a few days, so I whipped out a can of Minwax penetrating oil wood stain and wiped them down. I think I used Maple, which is a warm brown, but long story short the color came back really well. The leather was still roughed up from wear, but aside from that I was very pleased. Topped it off with a shot of ArmorAll to give them a little water resistance. Might want to consider it if you have a similar can of oil stain around the house.

BTW:  I got the itch to build something simple......... Haven't rolled one of these in many moon:  http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/schemas/crystal_radio_examples.gif

So non-critical even you couldn't screw it up............   Tongue

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »

BTW:  I got the itch to build something simple......... Haven't rolled one of these in many moon:  http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/schemas/crystal_radio_examples.gif

So non-critical even you couldn't screw it up............   Tongue

WTH. Go for it. BTW, put up your damn dipole so I can get on 40M with you.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »

Nelson,

Finished the 755M. Took 2 days. Looks great. I replaced the resistors and caps. Unlike tube radios, the resistors were all close to value. So I am going to check if this is common with transistors. I only replaced them because there weren't many and I had order them anyhow.

Radio sounds great, picks up distant stations well. Bassy/full sounding, not tinny.

One problem. The radio pops and crackels when I turn the turning cap. It is definitely the tuner as I deoxited the volume control. Any ideas?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2012, 03:34:32 PM »

This is an easy fix.........

The radio has an old-school two gang tuning condenser that has developed some oxidation - or - is losing contact to the PC board. Most likely all it needs is a small droplet of DeOxit on the wiper contacts. Look at the rotor shaft where it contacts the frame and you'll see a pair of brass fingers that rub against the shaft. Should be four total, one on each end and one on each side of center. If they're oxidized you will have intermittent grounding. DeOx all four and exercise the condenser.

Might want to put a drop of oil on both of the end bearings while you're in there. That will give you velvet-smooth precision tuning as you seek out new political propaganda.

The other possibility is a bad solder joint to the condenser. If the tuning knob feels loose the mounting screws may need to be tightened and the connections re-soldered in case they cracked.

Glad to hear you had good luck with it and it performs as well as the schizmatic suggests....... That wasn't a cheapie.   Wink

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2012, 05:51:10 PM »

Bingo! Major improvement! You are a genius !

I am contemplating alignment being necessary. Damn thing seems to be picking up everything.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »

Wait until you've swapped out all the parts you plan to replace then give it a quick alignment check...

What I mean by 'check' is to go through the alignment steps but make only slight adjustments. If you hear no improvement that tells you it was close to begin with and by avoiding any big moves with the diddle stick you'll keep yourself out of the tall weeds.

Out of curiosity, that radio has a two stage IF with three tuned circuits. Is the selectivity noticeably better than average? Everybody wants more gain to pull out the weak ones, but without good selectivity you'll never hear them through the bleed from adjacent signals......

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »

Wait until you've swapped out all the parts you plan to replace then give it a quick alignment check...

Already swapped out all parts. I will leave the resistors in on my next Transistor. They are not stressed like tube rigs. Too late now. I swapped them already.

What I mean by 'check' is to go through the alignment steps but make only slight adjustments. If you hear no improvement that tells you it was close to begin with and by avoiding any big moves with the diddle stick you'll keep yourself out of the tall weeds.

I will do that tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, that radio has a two stage IF with three tuned circuits. Is the selectivity noticeably better than average? Everybody wants more gain to pull out the weak ones, but without good selectivity you'll never hear them through the bleed from adjacent signals......

So far, the NYC station 120 miles away blew right thru. Let me see other tomorrow.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »

Nelson,

While I was scouring ebay, look at this fine looking lady:

This has to be long distance because of the big ferrite. Not 3 gang tuner, though (none that I can see).
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »

So far, the NYC station 120 miles away blew right thru. Let me see other tomorrow.

Hearing a 50 gallon station out of NYC during the day is good. I'm assuming that WFAN @ 660 is the one you want for sports, and last I heard WABC @ 770 and WCBS @ 880 were still big signal operations. But, out here in the flatlands, it's no big whoop to copy Dallas during the day over 200 miles away. Used to be a truly amazing signal from Decatur, TX on 105.7 FM that I could routinely copy in the summer. Not talking Sporadic-E, just a typical hot & humid morning. Good 230 air miles or better.

Anyway, at night your best DX will probably be WWL in New Orleans @ 870. Heuuuuuuuge signal that you should hear most nights. WBZ @ 1030 in Boston used to be a  favorite of mine, WWKB @ 1520 in Buffalo used to be WKBW and a landmark on the dial, then there was the big three out of Chicago @ 680, 720 and 890. If you're a total BCB Stud you'll copy KFAB in Omaha @ 1110 or KMOX in St. Louis on 1120. If you're really lucky you might... Might... Get a grip on WOAI in San Antonio on 1200. That would be tough copy for you thanks to WPHT just 10 kc's up, but it's a big signal in the Midwest.

The two stations you'll probably never hear but are your best bet for rare DX from the west are KOA in Denver @ 850 and KSL in SLC @ 1160. I've heard KFI in LA twice, so Denver might be possible for you. At least you and Denver are on the same side of the continental divide.

BTW:  Every once in a great while I can hear WPHT. Did it once on a car radio just before sunset on a really short day in December.....   Shocked

Delco be Da'Bomb.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2012, 06:43:40 AM »

Ugh. E-200D RF generator not working. Cannot set mod level. May have to break out the Iggy.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: