Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo................ Vincenzo.......................  (Read 171081 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »

These days, it's about  7 Euro....Maybe 2 beers - if you're lucky and it's a cheap bar.

Peter G3RZP
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »

Which reminds me of a story about British money..........

As we all know, a Zombie's favorite meal is human brains. So this Zombie moves to a new town. On his first weekend he stops by the local Zombie food mart to see what they have to offer. In the deli section he sees that farmer brains are $12 a pound, accountant brains are $18 a pound, and lawyer brains are $42 a pound. He mentions to the clerk that he didn't realize lawyer brains had become that expensive............

Oh yeah, they've always been high. You wouldn't believe how many lawyers it takes to harvest a pound of brains.

Or, as I like to say: " A pound doesn't go as far as it used to when you're in need of brains...."

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »

These days, it's about  7 Euro....Maybe 2 beers - if you're lucky and it's a cheap bar.

Peter G3RZP

Whatney's Red Barrel
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »

Vinney, Vinney, you're as out of date as Benton Harbor green.

Watneys Red Barrel hasn't been available for around 20 years. In, partly because real ales were kept so badly by lazy pub landlords in about 1964/5, it wasn't a bad pint. By  the 1980's , it had disappeared and been replaced by 'Starlight', which was so bad that it made the US Budweiser (aka 'Butwiper') seem good. Watneys has now gone - reputed to be an acronym for 'Weaker And Tastes Nastier Every Year'. And a damn good job it's gone, too!

The best US beer I know is named after me. It's from North County San Diego brewery and called 'Arrogant Bastard'.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »

So there's this Irish guy who moves to Cleveland.

Takes a walk one night and comes across a place advertising itself as an authentic Irish pub not more than a block away from his new apartment. Walks in, looks around, takes a seat at the bar and asks for three pints of stout. Bartender pours one pint and tells him he'll pour the second pint when he's ready for it. Guy says no, what I want you to do is pour three pints so I can line them up on the bar in front of me.

Bartender does that, then notices his new customer likes to take a sip from each pint in a rotating sequence.

Asks the guy why. Tells him he's one of three brothers and with him in Cleveland, another in Seattle, and the youngest in Dublin, having three pints lined up like that is the next best thing to them being together and sharing a drink. So the new guy becomes a regular and the bartender knows to line up three pints whenever he sees him coming through the door.

Until one evening when the customer stops him from drawing the third pint. No more, he says, from now on only two pints.

The bartender pauses for a moment, then asks if his brothers are OK.

Yeah, sure, they're fine, but it's me that has the problem. Went to the doctor this afternoon and he told me I need to stop drinking.................................

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »

Vinney, Vinney, you're as out of date as Benton Harbor green.

Watneys Red Barrel hasn't been available for around 20 years. In, partly because real ales were kept so badly by lazy pub landlords in about 1964/5, it wasn't a bad pint. By  the 1980's , it had disappeared and been replaced by 'Starlight', which was so bad that it made the US Budweiser (aka 'Butwiper') seem good. Watneys has now gone - reputed to be an acronym for 'Weaker And Tastes Nastier Every Year'. And a damn good job it's gone, too!

The best US beer I know is named after me. It's from North County San Diego brewery and called 'Arrogant Bastard'.

Well that makes sense. I have not drank it since the late 1980s! LOL
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »

Telefunken 5051W !

Someone just dropped one off at my house. Told me it was mine to do whatever I want. Didn't even have to pony up the $5!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »

...you're about to get an education in German radios.

Sometimes difficult to work on because the point to point wiring is free-form compared to a Filco, more tuned circuits with some double-tuned, and the piano key function switches are a marvel of potential confusion. They're also real big on double and triple section tubes. I have an old Grundig that's a mono radio with a stereo amplifier so an external turntable can do the left-right thing through the DIN jack.

Plays fine, but the audio output tube is a 9 pin jobbie that's like two 6AQ5's in the same envelope. Rare in the day and probably unobtanium today. So if that tube ever goes toes up............

BTW:  The T-Funk you have was not top of the line but certainly worth restoring. Don't expect super reception or big audio as it's an AM/FM five tube superhet, and that's a lot to ask from five tubes. But, on the flip side, five tubes are your idea of a good time... Even if it does have a transformer power supply.

You'll also learn that Rohren = Vacuum Tube, Verstarker = amplifier, UKW = VHF (oder "FM")

If you can't find a free schaltplan, poke around here for similar models: http://www.4tubes.com/SCHEMATICS/Radios/Telefunken/index_img/

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »

Vinnie needs this:

Receives baseball games plus the 'classic' amateur bands. You just don't see chrome like that on a RoadTalker 40...................

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »

That is pretty cool looking.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2013, 04:35:37 PM »

Here's one that's going to sell high...

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=12733401

Mid to early 50's vintage, extremely well regarded back in the day, but like anything of this vintage might have issues.
In fact, take a look at this picture and tell me if you notice anything that needs to go buh-bye........

This is a test of your Tube-Fu, grasshopper.    Wink

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »

Almost had a free HQ-180A. A guy at my club was giving it away for free. 2 guys beat me to it, and he really did not know me that well. I did call him and told him about the flippers.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »

HQ180. A local museum had been given one. It seemed a local ham had been a 'wartime secret listener' and they got this HQ180 after he died. It was said that he had used to receive German messages in WW2, but they weren't happy when told it was produced long after WW2, that it needed a 110 volt xfmr before it could be used, with 2 wire power cord it was dangerous (I fitted three wire cord with a ground) and the bag of ex TV tubes they sent as spares was of as much use as teats on a bull!

I thought that they might give it to me - I did run it up, fix its faults and check its operation - but no such luck.

My father had a HQ170A. I never understood why they had a 3035kHz single xtal filter in the HQ180, but not in the HQ170.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2013, 03:17:35 PM »

Hey Vinny,

Were you the guy in NJ who won $300+ million on the Powerball?
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: