Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Characters List  (Read 431 times)
KI4EST

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2004, 11:33:50 PM »

I recently passed the 5 wpm code test for my general license.  Since then I've been practicing and have gotten up to 10 wpm.  However, I was wondering, are the characters that you are tested on for the 5 wpm test all that you need to know in the "real" world or should I be memorizing some others?
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 01:17:29 PM »

I am also practicing to increase my speed. I just do the standard characters. I don't even worry about the new "@" character. There's no sense in biting off more than you can chew by learning extra characters. I practice and drill what I already know (just the standard characters) every day. On a bad day, I can do 10 wpm. On a good day, I can do up to 16 wpm, but typically I'm around 13. My goal is 20-25 wpm or better. I also find that its a good idea to "warm up" every day before going for speed.
AB3BK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 08:36:05 PM »

Just make sure you know the comma, question mark, and the period. A question mark is often used for "what did you say?". Also some prosigns are often used. BT for when you are thinking of next thing to say. AR at the end of message, and BK for a fast exchange between two stations. Other than that, just remember you will hear some abbreviations too.

You may already know these things. I just wanted to tell you in case you didn't. A great way to learn the language is just tune around the bands and copy away.

Good luck, catch you on the bands.

Dave AB3BK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: