The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Create CW and Voice MP3 for learning?  (Read 1861 times)
KB1LCY

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2004, 10:06:32 PM »

Greetings!!

I am a beginner CW learner.

I would like to create MP3 files (so I can create a CD or copy to an MP3 player) that has CW and VOICE to help me start learning CW.

For example, I would enter text such as:

AAAAAA TTTTTT  ....

and it would create an MP3 that would have
dit dah "A" dit dah "A"   etc.

Is there anything out there like that?

Thanks,

AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 12:51:51 PM »

There are 2 programs that make CW midi files. You can download Morse Midi at http://www.netvampire.com/ham/ and CW Midi at http://www.natradioco.com/rdey/. Once the midi files are made, you can burn them onto a CD. Both programs will make a midi file in CW of anything you type in the text box at any speed you want. You might also want to download the ARRL practice files from their site and burn them onto CDs. What is transmitted by W1AW is available for download. Here's a really wild idea. If you have morse practice software that generates random runs, record them onto wav or mp3 files with recording software and burn them onto CDs. The possibilities are limitless. Go for it.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
K5PU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 11:26:19 AM »

The problem is converting Midi files into something playable on a audio CD player. You must first convert the Midi into .wav or MP3, etc.  

None of my CD burning S/W (Nero, EZCD, etc.) recognizes Midi files. Even if they did allow me to burn a MIDI file onto a CD an audio CD player would not know how to play them.

I've not found any free S/W that will convert MIDI to .WAV, MP3, etc. Sad
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 12:52:31 AM »

K5PU said:
"The problem is converting Midi files into something playable on a audio CD player. You must first convert the Midi into .wav or MP3, etc.

None of my CD burning S/W (Nero, EZCD, etc.) recognizes Midi files. Even if they did allow me to burn a MIDI file onto a CD an audio CD player would not know how to play them.

I've not found any free S/W that will convert MIDI to .WAV, MP3, etc."

I normally use a piece of software called Sound Forge XP to record anything that's playing on my sound card. It makes wav files. I just recorded a midi file using Windows Movie Maker, which comes with Windows XP. I did had to click "change device" and change "Line In" to either "Stereo Mix" or "Mono Mix" to get any audio on my recording, but it worked. Windows Movie Maker recorded the midi file onto a wma file. I changed the file suffix to mp3 from wma and it played fine.
K5PU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:46:31 PM »

Thank you for pointing out how to do this.  I happened to have an older copy of Sound Forge (4.5 for Win95 & NT) that I I'd forgot I had and hadn't used in a long time.

Anyway, loaded it up on my XP machine and it seems to work fine. I started my G4FON Koch code S/W, clicked 'record' in Sound Forge and sure enough, it recorded the output as a .wav file. A simple 'save as .mp3' and there you go.  I just have to play with, balance the levels a bit (the recorded file audio level was low) and I'll be burning custom practice CD's!

I suppose I could even get 'fancy' and edit the sound file, adding the spoken chars after each code element, or 'speak' the sentence before/after the actual code.

Again, thanks for the tip!

AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 02:39:31 AM »

My Sound Forge is an old 3.0 version, but it works fine with Windows XP. Like I said, you can also use Windows Movie Maker to record with, for those who don't have Sound Forge. Sound Forge is a good one if you want to edit your recordings.
VE3IMO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 09:40:56 PM »

My Dell laptop, an Inspiron 8100, shipped with Roxio CD Maker. If you select "Music CD", this utility will convert .wav and .mp3 formats so they can be read by  a home or auto CD player.
K5PU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 10:55:26 AM »

Burning the CD in a format readable by home/auto CD players wasn't the problem. Virtually any/all S/W capable of burning CD's provide that ability.

The problem was creating CW in an audio format CD burners recognized. I was finding that all the programs that generated CW audio files created the files in a MIDI format. CD burning S/W (nor home/audio CD players) do not recognize/play .mid files.

However, as mentioned before Sound Forge resolved that problem. By being able to *capture* CW in the proper format I was able to create a couple 'custom' CD's with multiple 10 min tracks (consisting of 5-6 different characters each) sent/spaced at my desired speed goal. For a reference I also titled the tracks so the characters in each track were displayed on the face of my auto CD player. Finally, I created some tracks of common words & some typical QSO's for when the groups of random characters got to be too much Wink.

Since I don't have a mobile HF rig I now have something 'productive' to do during my time in the car.

Again, many thinks to AG4RQ for showing me the way to do this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: