Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brainteaser  (Read 8174 times)
W5DXP

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:34:06 AM »

Here's a graphic of a black box containing one real-world component along with lab measurements made on the current in and current out of the black box. What's in the black box?

http://www.w5dxp.com/branteas.GIF

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »

If the black box is a passive part, my best guess is a 4:1 Balun.......
That would explain the output current being greater than the input current in the first two cases if the black box performs an impedance transformation.

?

Hey, someone had to go first...........................  Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »

If the black box is a passive part, my best guess is a 4:1 Balun...

Yes, it is a passive part and no, it is not a 4:1 Balun nor any N:1 turns ratio transformer.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
AC7ZN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »

Hi Cecil,

Can we assume, since transformers are eliminated, that it is also not a saturating tapped inductor (which could be considered a  form of autotransformer)?

Glenn AC7ZN
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »

Can we assume, since transformers are eliminated, that it is also not a saturating tapped inductor (which could be considered a  form of autotransformer)?

There's no known non-linearity like saturation. It is an extremely common linear component and this brainteaser has absolutely no tricks involved.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
K7STO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »

I believe it is a capacitor. The answer I would like to know is how to change my Callsign after logging into the site to my new callsign.
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:47:44 AM »

I believe it is a capacitor.

How would a capacitor manage to effect a 60% increase in output current over input current?

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »

Are the phases all positive as suggested, i.e. input leads the output?
G8HQP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »

Transmission line, impedance 1930 ohms, electrical length about 8.5m ?
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »

Transmission line, impedance 1930 ohms, electrical length about 8.5m ?

Congratulations!!! Very close, but no cigar. The characteristic impedance is indeed 1930 ohms and the electrical length, assuming VF=1.0,  is indeed about 8.5m at 4 MHz, i.e. 41 electrical degrees.

But the device inside the black box was a 75m Texas Bugcatcher mobile loading coil.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »

I believe it is a capacitor. The answer I would like to know is how to change my Callsign after logging into the site to my new callsign.

http://www.eham.net/about/loginhelp#new_callsign
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »

But the device inside the black box was a 75m Texas Bugcatcher mobile loading coil.

...which makes it ready for burial. Excellent!

Never change a password on a Friday                
G8HQP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »

I was wondering where you could buy 1930 ohm coax cable! A big coil will of course have a high inductance and a relatively low capacitance (when compared to coax) so at some frequencies can behave like a section of transmission line.

My initial guess, before I carefully read the question, was a pi network as that has impedance inverting properties but then I saw that only one component was present. A pi network is of course a lumped approximation to a transmission line.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »

Someone's mathematics is a bit off.

K7STO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »

http://www.eham.net/about/loginhelp#new_callsign

Thanks Jack I appreciated the assistance.

Mike
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: