Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not a good year for purchasing equipment :(  (Read 1198 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:38:55 AM »

Getting ham equipment in/into Thailand is not that easy ...

My losses this year:

15 meter vintage mobile transceiver - purchased off Ebay from the USA - microphone lost in transit by the shipping company

Sprint 4 CW transceiver - purchased off Ebay from the USA - arrived damaged - returned to the USA for repair - sent back after repair and lost in the post! (including a miniature CW keyer)

QRP amplifier bought off Ebay - arrived OK but never worked (the construction was terrible and totally incorrect, a complete scam)

PSK-20 purchased from the USA - arrived safely but failed after a few months - currently back in the USA for repair

MFJ 20 meter mobile rig purchased from MFJ - currently in the post for several weeks, hopefully not lost

My gains:
PAR End-Fedz antenna - purchased from PAR and arrived safely (well, who would want to steal it?) - great portable antenna

Rockmite 20m kit - purchased from SWL and built my me in a vintage 2.5 inch typewriter ribbon box.  Great little rig. (Now where is my miniature keyer??)

Mobile antenna/mount - purchased in the USA from DX Engineering and Breedlove -excellent quality build and no-one in the post office was smart enough to realise what they were and steal them...

12 meter antenna mast - purchased locally and installed by professionals - luckily not lost/damaged in transit!!

BTW - all items were shipped to me either by courier or registered post - but that means nothing once they reach Thailand - they can disappear into the ether in an instant!

Let's hope next year brings me more luck - this hobby is rather expensive

Simon
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:15:31 AM »

I realize that politics can make for some interesting trade policies, but considering the proximity of Thailand to Japan and China I'd think you'd have no problems finding radio gear locally.......

?

Never change a password on a Friday                
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:12:13 AM »

@AC5UP - the HF ham scene is very small (mostly expats like myself), since equipment is too expensive for most local Thai amateurs.  So there is really no demand to import equipment.  Add to that the draconian restrictions on importing transceivers and you maybe get the picture.

Unfortunately, I rarely venture outside of the country, otherwise I could perhaps buy some equipment in Singapore, (and then be stung for a fortune in customs fees on my return...)

These problems actually led me to start home-brewing again, after a break of about 30 years.  I was pleasantly surprised that my Rockmite worked first time after I built it, although having lost my CW key in the return post from the USA has delayed my use of this little rig.

I'm hoping the 20 meter MFJ mobile rig that I purchased a few weeks back gets delivered OK, but I'm not holding out much hope by now

Simon
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »

I don't know about shipping to Thailand but I have experienced similar issues when sending packages to other countries that are known to steal packages when they think it might be of some value. I have probably had about a 60-70% rate of successful delivery to some of these places. I do not like shipping out of Country for that reason.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »

Sounds like the best method is to go out of country to make your purchases and bring back with you on the plane.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: