Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question to my fellow old farts  (Read 2079 times)
N4JTE

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »

Many years ago I was introduced to ham radio/shortwave by a little plastic record that was recorded by , I think, a guy name alex dryer, spelling probaly wrong cause I cannot find any referance to him. I believe he was a radio reporter, so does anyone remember him or this recording? I still remember playing this and hearing all kinds of shortwave and ham recordings, I'm thinking late 1950's but who knows.
Tnx
Bob
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »

Try spelling it "Dreier".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »

Not that I'm admitting to being an old fart or anything, but here it is:

http://pl703.pairlitesite.com/Hallicrafters.html
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:42:44 AM »

Wow, the entire recording is there, but it's ironically in RealAudio format, which is the Internets version of the vinyl record...hardly anyone can play that format anymore...
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:45:21 AM »

Wow, the entire recording is there, but it's ironically in RealAudio format, which is the Internets version of the vinyl record...hardly anyone can play that format anymore...

Just about any Windows machine can play that format, provided you download and install RealPlayer.  But anyone who's used RealPlayer is loathe to do that, myself included.
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »

A quick Internet search for "convert Real Audio to MP3" will find the tools you need to hear them without having to install Real Player.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 08:58:58 AM »

Yeah, I can do all that. Just two weeks ago I configured a virtual windows 98 box just so I could play a 13 year old game. I just thought it was funny how the recording of the obsolete format on the net was in an...obsolete format  Smiley
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »

Many years ago I was introduced to ham radio/shortwave by a little plastic record that was recorded by , I think, a guy name alex dryer, spelling probaly wrong cause I cannot find any referance to him. I believe he was a radio reporter, so does anyone remember him or this recording? I still remember playing this and hearing all kinds of shortwave and ham recordings, I'm thinking late 1950's but who knows.
Tnx
Bob

I actually have that record from Alex Dryer, the "Man on the go"!  I remember playing it years back, and I think I got if for free by sending in a coupon from an electronics magazine.  I know it it is buried somewhere in my attic!
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »

Perfect; tnx big time gentlemen, brought back a lot of memories.
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: