Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $20 score  (Read 8858 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »

OK. This one found me. I am forwarded a letter from my radio club 2 days ago, with some older gentleman selling his father's radios as he had passed. The letter was dated 9-7-11, so it was already 2 months old. I figured there is nothing left. So, I said "WTH". I called him and made arrangements to see what he had.

In the house, would early century floor models that had incredible woodworking. Those were going $100-200. I told him that those were good prices and I would not go lower if I were them. These are $1,000 after refurb. I am going to try and get him in touch with a professional restorer. These are simply to big for me to store, work on, and ship. I use mostly by-hand work. These need a full shop.

So I went out to the garage. He essentially just wanted me to take anything in the garage, and did not want money. I looked and he had some nice radios had they been kept inside, but were in the elements. Many were missing knobs, and the veneer were peeling of flaking off. I pretty much avoided those. He had numerous parts (no tubes). I told him what to throw out, what to keep, what to hold onto, and what to sell. he has a ton of copper wiring and aluminum multi-can caps, that I told him her should at least get scrap metal for.

I decided to take the following, which were the best of the rest. Most of these were not wood, so they were in restore-able condition:

1. Philco 817 (mahogany) http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_f_817f81.html
2. Philco B570 http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=5564
3. RCA 2-5-512 http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=6764
4. Heathkit IM-13 VTVM
5. RCA Victor 8BX6 (2 of these) Man, are they ugly!  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=8BX6
6. A box full of new K-Tran 455 KHz IF cans (in pairs) from Wolfe Distributing in NYC

The guy wanted nothing, and wanted to me to take more. I gave him $20, as many of these need work. It is a shame as some of the wood radios would have been very nice radios, had he kept them indoors. We'll see if I actually made out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:11:19 PM by N4NYY » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »

...he has a ton of copper wiring and aluminum multi-can caps, that I told him her should at least get scrap metal for.

Scrap dealers won't take aluminum condensers, neither electrolytic nor oil (motor start) types. Not enough aluminum in them to make it worthwhile and they want nothing to do with anything that might contain PCB's. If there were some oil condensers the proper disposal is through your county's Hazardous Waste department. The copper, OTOH, will bring good money. Whoever takes it to the scrap yard wants to carry full ID and not have any legal issues like an outstanding warrant... Which in New Jersey really narrows it down but I'm just sayin'. The yards here check ID's and photograph sellers.

BTW: If you can get a second invite, a wooden radio in a bad cabinet has value as the chassis is a potential parts source. Output transformers, tubes, sockets, IF transformers and especially the tuning condenser are worth saving. Put a dual section tuning condenser up on eBay and see what happens. Always some a-hole who screwed up the mica insulators on theirs looking for another........ You may also want to surf the web regarding veneer work. It's not that hard as long as you can avoid making fingerprints when you have glue on your hands.

Fug-lee. Looks like something an Edsel owner would buy. If I had that radio and a dog, the dog would try to bury the radio in the back yard.

Believe it or not, the plain vanilla sets like this are the easiest to sell and not much work to restore. Good catch.

Good catch for the same reasons as the previous Philco.

4. Heathkit IM-13 VTVM

What can I say? Your workbench suffers from low esteem. Now the IGGY won't be your crappiest piece of test gear. (ouch!)

5. RCA Victor 8BX6 (2 of these) Man, are they ugly!  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=8BX6

You say that to taunt me as that's my $3.00 radio from last June. Now that you have two of your own you should realize what true beauties they are...

6. A box full of new K-Tran 455 KHz IF cans (in pairs) from Wolfe Distributing in NYC

Make sure to tighten the screws on top before you use them.  Grin

As for the larger consoles... I've worked on a few of them and they aren't that heavy. Once you get the chassis out of the cabinet it's not much worse than a table radio to work on and a good one well restored will pull in weak stations better than you'd expect. As a general rule they are very pleasant to listen to. Every once in a while you'll find one with two chassis (radio tuner up top, amplifier on the bottom shelf) and they can be worth more as an amplifier than a radio. I have no idea who buys them but there is an avid following for tube amplifiers regardless of the type or appearance. Generally some doof wants to make it into a guitar amp and is after the transformers.

Although this is an evil thought, a radio with two chassis could be separated and the amplifier sold. Whip together something with an LM3886 to replace the amplifier and the radio will play better than new. Could score enough selling the amplifier to pay the freight on the rest and then some.  Shocked

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:02:22 PM »

I was trying to read your post without laughing, even though I have food in my mouth. Not working.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The VTVM line was priceless.

I am going to hook this guy up with this company http://sajj.com/. He is better suited for this type of repair/restore. This guy is more professional and I am more hobbyist.

This old man is alone, kind of messy, and a little to gullible to have someone take him to the cleaners. I kind of told him to stay firm on those consoles. I could have walked away with the copper, but for what? I would not be able to live with myself. So I guided him.

I even told him to hold onto the meters and transformer for a hamfest. He though a hamfest was a festival for pork (no joke).

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 04:54:17 PM »

That radio is so ugly that listening to Ann Coulter would be redundant.

That radio is so ugly you should take it to a veterinarian for a rabies shot.

That radio is so ugly you should keep it away from mirrors.

That radio is so ugly it could replace the label on an iodine bottle.

That radio is so ugly it could make an onion cry.

That radio is so ugly it could give Freddy Krueger nightmares.

That radio is so ugly you could leave it on the front seat of your car with the doors unlocked for a week and it would still be there.

That radio is so ugly it should come with a restraining order from Antiques Road Show.

That radio is so ugly if a burglar saw it through the window they'd rob the house next door.

That radio is so ugly that three of the tubes called the suicide prevention hotline because they kept thinking about rolling off the workbench.

That radio is so ugly that if your house was on fire the firemen would wait until it burned before they'd turn on the water.

That radio is so ugly it comes with a twelve foot pole used to turn it on and change stations because no one would touch it with a ten foot pole.

That radio is so ugly that Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Helen Keller could see that it's ugly.

That radio is so ugly the rubber feet keep trying to walk away.........
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:17:26 PM by AC5UP » Logged

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »

Dude! You are killing me! I am eating dinner with my wife and daughter at a bbq joint. The Coulter and front seat lines are priceless!

KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »

That Radio is so ugly somewhere there's a picture of it in an attic getting prettier.

That radio is so ugly Age makes it look better.

That radio is so ugly it prays for a ac line spike to destroy it.

That radio is so ugly it was one of Adolf Hitler's targets.

That radio is so ugly it is used in exorcisms to ward off evil spirits.

That radio is so ugly Millions were buried in the Nevada Desert for fun.

That radio is so ugly it makes Heath look professional.

-Alex

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 07:41:33 AM »

THIS THREAD HAS GOTTEN TOO SILLY.

Allen
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »

THIS THREAD HAS GOTTEN TOO SILLY.

Are you suggesting I stop buy ugly tube rigs?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 04:50:49 PM »

And I though the one I added today: "...so ugly the rubber feet keep trying to walk away" was fairly clever.

Oh Well. What do I know?

And speaking of things we know little about, check out this vintage Mohawk-American that's so rare Rider's Perpetual never heard of it: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8878278 I know that Vinnie is up to his IGGY in radio projects at the moment, but remember this: A Mohawk-American radio is a better choice than a Chippewa-American radio because Benton Harbor, Michigan is in Chippewa territory. Could be a Heathshkit in camouflage buckskins and that's ugly in a whole new way...........

Quick Trivia Quiz: Two of the tubes in the ol' Mohawk-American 80 mentioned above appear to have blue glass.

Why?

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »

Quick Trivia Quiz: Two of the tubes in the ol' Mohawk-American 80 mentioned above appear to have blue glass.

Why?

Because they were out of black paint and they wanted to confuse my ass !
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 05:05:51 PM »

Now............ Vinnie................ You know that was a silly comment!

Even Allen knows that Arcturus tubes were famous for two things: Being made in outer space by ET's from a galaxy, far, far, away - and - having distinctive blue glass globes. One look at any radio chassis and you could immediately ID the presence of Arcturus tubes.

Groove to this: http://www.braveknight.com/dave/images/Bluetubes3.jpg and this: http://www.bill01a.com/images/full/arct-150.jpg

It boggles my mind to think a tube so uniquely beautiful could have been made in New Jersey.

BTW: I think this is way cool: http://www.vt52.com/info/ux226/tubes/raytheon_er226_closeup_1.jpg

KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »

i learn somethin everyday from eHam
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 02:23:43 AM »

Looks like something an Edsel owner would buy...

I took a look at that site, and it DOES remind me of the front end of an Edsel! OK, so the guy that did interior design for Hearst Castle, who should have been sent to the insane asylum, or into drug rehab, I'm not into interior design, but when I toured that place when I was 15, that was was my reaction to Hearst Castle at the time, ventured into radio cases.

That radio is so ugly that Jerry Springer wouldn't have it on his show.

That radio is so ugly that wallpaper & paint peel by themselves  in the room it's in.

My creative juices are running slow right now, so only that for now.

The guy wanted nothing...

After seeing the 817's picture, I'm not surprised. You did him a service.  Grin

Now the IGGY won't be your crappiest piece of test gear.

I resemble that remark! Except, in my case, it was a homemade VOM in half of an aluminum box I used to have, the other half must have went AWOL, i never did find where it was misplaced.

And, I would have mistaken those blue glass tubes for having been overheated, or went gassy to the point where no amount of DiGel would help, or someone near those tubes with a jar of blue nail polish was feeling rather bored.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:43:51 AM by KD6KWZ » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »

The blue glass was strictly a marketing gimmick and precursor of the Blue LED phenomenon we see today. Take any mediocre piece of consumer electronics, put a blue LED in the dial, and it will sell better than the previous model. Go Figure.

As for the original '58 Edsel grill, there was something it resembled that's mentioned in this article....

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1657867_1657781,00.html

Shocked

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »

It is a shame as some of the wood radios would
have been very nice radios, had he kept them indoors.

You might be astonished what some restorers can do.
Of course it takes knowledge, dedication, and
several HUNDRED hours of work.

Check out the Before and After photos of this 1937 Philco,
whcih spend a god part of it's life in an open barn.

(The photos are on a slide show type thngy, showing
the cabinet and the radio chassis. In the middle of the
page on the LEFT hand side are some buttoms to speed
up or stop the slide show.
The difference is incredible. Hundreds of hours
of work on both the cabinet and hundreds on the radio.

http://repairbench.com/philco37.aspx[/b]]http://repairbench.com/philco37.aspx
Just gorgeous, the cabinets from that era were works of art.

73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: