Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does running a rig off a generator safe?  (Read 4135 times)
KC9RCG

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »

I am confident it is. But, is it best to let it run a few minutes before plugging in?  suggestions?

thanks
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »

I am confident it is. But, is it best to let it run a few minutes before plugging in?  suggestions?

thanks

No need to worry, especially if you are using a switching power supply because even if voltage or frequency were to get real wild (though very unlikely) it would have no effect of power supply output. Transformer powered devices are more fussy. As far and warm up time, if it seems stable RPM wise you are good to go with a light to moderate load. IF will be a heavy load you might let it run a few minutes first.  Air cooled motors heat up pretty quick. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »

Running it through a regulated power supply that can accomodate whatever voltage swings the generator might put out, should be fine, but if it's a 12-v rig, you can run it off of a battery that's charged by the generator, as well. Then, you can keep the radio up when you shut the generator down for refueling.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »

Running it through a regulated power supply that can accomodate whatever voltage swings the generator might put out, should be fine, but if it's a 12-v rig, you can run it off of a battery that's charged by the generator, as well. Then, you can keep the radio up when you shut the generator down for refueling.

I still do not understand why many want to lug a generator AND a battery? And as far as shutting down while refueling, you cannot be in both places at once anyway.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »

Maybe he's not forever alone, so one person can re-fuel and change the oil on the generator while the other keeps operating the radio.

Some generators with fuel-saving settings are supposed to be run at full RPM for a few minutes first to warm up, and then you switch them into economy mode. They usually can be run with nominal load from the beginning, but on some you should at least wait until the engine starts before connecting the load.
Some should be allowed to run without load to cool down for a few minutes before you shut them off, while on some you just need to disconnect the load before stopping the engine.

Download the manual for the generator you're interested in and read through it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »

Some should be allowed to run without load to cool down for a few minutes before you shut them off, while on some you just need to disconnect the load before stopping the engine.

I little common sense is needed here. If it is a hot day or unit is heavily loaded relative to its rated output you should cool it a bit with no load. Myself I only shut down to change oil or I am done with it for day. Both my generators will go 12 plus hours under load on a fueling and any oil changes would be done at the end of a run and not in middle of it.

K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »

Local clubs I have seen who operate portable operations with generator and batteries simply run all the equipment off the battery and charge the battery with the generator.  ( Many if not most small generators now have 12V charge outputs. )  You do not need to shut anything down when operating this way.   If you do decide to shut down,  the battery should be fully charged and able to carry the load for a good period.

Ed   K7AAT
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 04:58:41 AM »

Taking reasonable precautions, running a radio off of a generator is safe.  What are reasonable precautions?  start by reading the manuals for the radios and generator, they cover things fairly well.  Is there still a chance of harming the radios?  Of course, but you stand the same chances with running those radios in a car or at home.  Still not sure you wanna chance it?  Fine, then don't.
 - Paul
N3QVB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »

Generators give off fumes and that is a very important safety concern.  If the area is not well ventilated, carbon monoxide WILL build up.  CO is an odorless, colorless gas that is very dangerous.  Keep that in mind when using generators or any other fuel-driven piece of machinery.

Andy  N3QVB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: