Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF Problem  (Read 2568 times)
KM5PS

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »

I have had this problem before, and have not been able to fix the problem. Problem is as follows: during early morning SS Contest my logging program N1MM would start to slow the code speed down for some reason out of the blue.  It seems to only do it at night when air cools off and moisture starts to collect on stuff outside.  Actually my program use to speed up, but I figure the problem is related to RF getting back in on my equipment.  I tried putting a ferrite core on coax and also on program cable from radio to computer.  Still does the same thing.  I had been running the contest for abut 6-7 hrs no problem.  I did ohm across the grounds on coax's to ground all showed continuity.  I have not yet checked for any shorts on my jumpers but will do that tomorrow or after contest.   Any ideas would be great. 

TIA
John
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:33:42 AM »

Are you sure that it has to do with RF and is not a computer problem like a software conflict ?

Have you tried transmitting into a dummy load at low power? Does that change anything? Or even just turning the transmitter off altogether. If the problem goes away in that case then it's RF. If it persists, it's a computer issue.

I had a similar problem once when I tried to use the keying in the N3FJP contest programs and using the Rigblaster Plug and Play  (or what they're now calling the Rigblaster "Data Jack") on a particular Windows XP machine whenever I had multiple windows open, if other things were going on in the background such as downloading updates or virus scanning etc.

The problem went away when I switched from the Rigblaster to using just a USB to Serial adapter with a simple homebrew optoisolator circuit for the CW keying. Since that's basically what is inside the Rigblaster, I assume that it really was just some difference between the RB driver and the USB to Serial driver.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:17:28 AM »

Not enough evidence to say it is an RF issue.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »

There is a simple check--when the system shows slowing speed that is persistant, reboot the computer.  If the speed returns and is stable, you have a computer issue.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »

Are you sure that you weren't accidentally hitting the page down key?  The speed reads out on the bottom line of the logging window - did that indicate the speed was decreasing?  Were you able to restore the speed via the page up key?

73, K8AC
KM5PS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »

I have always had this problem when using N1MM.  I have used N3FJP's software in the past and this has not happened that I can remember.  No-I wasn't accidentally hitting the page down button on the keyboard.  This would happen when any of the F key's were hit.  And yes I could speed it back up with the page up key.  Like I said this was the first time it has ever slowed down.  The other times the keying would speed up.  I usually run abt 28-30 wpm on program.  It would jump to 34 then 40 wpm when it would speed up.  Now on the slow down side it goes from 28 to 26 to 24 wpm.  I am using the Winkeyer USB for my keying interface.  I did already have one ferrite core on the keying cable to the rig, and have since added a second.  I have also added a ground wire to my computer case from my grounding point for the station.  I know I should have added one at a time but went ahead and did both.  Its just odd that I used all day and early evening with no problems and then all of a sudden this started to happen.  Like I said usually late at night when moisture starts to form. I will keep on doing some test late at night to see if I can figure out what is going on.  Thanks for those who have replied so far. 

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: