Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM 1650 Khz - music loop heard faintly in midwest NA  (Read 4381 times)
AE4RV

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »

I can consistently during the day hear an incredibly weak signal on 1650 Khz AM from my QTH in Louisville, KY. It's just one track, looped continuously, chorale music and I think they sing "fight fight fight" at one point. It sounds like an anthem or fight song. When the song is over it starts again. Nothing else but this song. It sounds like it is far away, the signal is quite weak. Today WSM in Nashville is coming in very well, S3, during the day, 3 to 4 PM local. 1650 is about an S1 or 2, but today is the best reception I've gotten (WSM is not usually an S3...conditions are good today apparently.)

I've noticed this signal a few times in the last several months - it's always been there when I tune to 1650 during the day.

Can anyone else hear it?

73, Geoff

(Rig IC 7410, antenna 70' Inverted L up to 25')
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »

It's getting harder to hear as medium wave DX is starting to creep in, several stations competing. I need to repost this early in the day sometime - I'd love to know if others can hear it. At night it's a wash.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »

Probably just a station running a test.  There was a new station that came on the air
in Austin Texas back in the 1960's that played old MacDonald had a farm all day and all night for a couple of weeks.  Drove people crazy but sure got a lot of attention.
Listen to the ham bands, there's weird stuff on them all the time.
Allen
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:10:51 AM »

It has been going on for months apparently with no ID. I'd still like to know if others with a sensitive radio can hear it. 1650 Khz. AM. It almost sounds like a polka.
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:04:33 AM »

Could it be one of those VERY low power public information broadcasters that run "endless loop" information (like for weather / road info, tourist highlights, etc) ? Maybe it's from a local (to them) school, and the only time they run actual campus info is during a game, or other school event. Else-time, they use the "fight song" just as a "keep-alive" signal.  Those types stations seem to abound here. We have them for Road & Weather hazards, there is one just a few miles from me that is at a Wind Farm installation. It informs the public (through highway signs) to tune to this freq. to get info about the Wind Farm Towers, elect. output, etc. Have one a few miles in the other direction that is for a (historical) tourist turnout along the highway. and on and on.  Maybe that's what you are hearing.  just a wild guess.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:27:14 AM »

Could it be one of those VERY low power public information broadcasters that run "endless loop" information (like for weather / road info, tourist highlights, etc) ? Maybe it's from a local (to them) school, and the only time they run actual campus info is during a game, or other school event. Else-time, they use the "fight song" just as a "keep-alive" signal.  Those types stations seem to abound here. We have them for Road & Weather hazards, there is one just a few miles from me that is at a Wind Farm installation. It informs the public (through highway signs) to tune to this freq. to get info about the Wind Farm Towers, elect. output, etc. Have one a few miles in the other direction that is for a (historical) tourist turnout along the highway. and on and on.  Maybe that's what you are hearing.  just a wild guess.

You might be on to something. Maybe it's a school.

I originally stumbled upon it trying to see if I could hear Crescent Hill Radio (http://www.crescenthillradio.com/) which is a "micro broadcaster" station located a few miles from me that puts out 100 milliwatts. I can hear them, just barely. But I noticed this other signal was always there and slightly dominant. Yesterday I could hear it a little better and determined that it is the same song over and over.

I like the school theory. But, since I can tune in stations one to two hundred miles away during the day, I wonder if it is not a local low power signal but something further away. It sounds like AM MW DX - there is some wavering and maybe some flutter to the sig. For now it's a mystery...
KC2OYZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:14:19 PM »

It's all in your mind... nothing there at all....

Cheesy
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:38:02 AM »

Take an old AM radio with a ferrite antenna built in and DF the signal. Nulls off the ends of the rod are very sharp. Have you driven around in your car? If it's a low power school-type station the range is usually just a few miles.

Online databases list broadcast stations by frequency. There are plenty of "Alert" stations that use 1650. There are some really good SWL discussion groups online that you could ask. Or call the FCC and ask them.

SW broadcasters loop tapes to mark their channels. The VOA would often play a few bars of "Columbia the Gem of the Ocean" But that would last for maybe an hour, not months. Looping a college "fight" song is in that vein.

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:23:44 AM »

I've just started using the car. Once I'm well out of my neighborhood I can't hear it anymore so I suspect it's local and low power. It will be this weekend before I can do much driving during the day when the station can be heard, when the DX comes in it's wiped out. Curiously, even with the car radio I'm getting multiple distant stations even during the day but not as loud as at night.

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 06:25:20 AM »

It's all in your mind... nothing there at all....

Cheesy

Ha ha. It is an eery signal - creeped my wife out a bit.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »

Geoff,

You're not crazy or going insane. I've heard the same signal while sitting in my car in Lexington. The song is the UK fight song and in fact does include the line, "Fight, fight, fight." I first heard this signal about two years ago while sitting at the mall in Lexington. My wife was inside and I stayed in the car and was doing a little AM listening when I stumbled across this signal. I heard it during two different trips to Lexington from Frankfort, where I live. The station never identified. The song by a chorus just looped over and over and over. The signal is fairly strong in Lexington but with enough noise that it just might be in the central Kentucky area, and not specifically in Lexington. I don't recall the exact frequency that I heard it on but do remember that it was in the "new" part of the AM band, between 1600 and 1700 khz.

73, Dave, N4KZ
Frankfort, KY
K0EKL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »

It's a UK marketing campaign. The transmitters are installed in roadside billboards.

These links provide the answer:

http://www.ukfightsong.com/

http://www.wildcatnation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61975
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »

IF it's UK, try listening on a Sat when they have a home football game to see if they give parking/driving info.

Ive heard a few of them along different interstates, with a range of maybe 30 miles.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 06:57:18 AM »

Wow, thanks, guys! I can't wait to tell my wife, she's a big UK fan.

Mystery solved, thanks again.

73, Geoff
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »

(Rig IC 7410, antenna 70' Inverted L up to 25')
...and obviously working well for you.
 Grin

Now, when you start to get intercom announcements from the lingerie department of a store in Johannesburg...

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: