The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have the problems with the FT-991 been fixed?  (Read 522 times)
VE3TMT

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:22:07 AM »

Good day,

I'm looking at getting a used FT-991. Is there a serial number range to avoid? I've read all the horror stories of failed finals and SWR issues.

Have these issues been corrected in the 2016 model run? Not including the 991A of course.

Thanks,
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 01:40:22 PM »

Good day,

I'm looking at getting a used FT-991. Is there a serial number range to avoid? I've read all the horror stories of failed finals and SWR issues.

Have these issues been corrected in the 2016 model run? Not including the 991A of course.

Thanks,

To my knowledge, those issues ALL had to do with one single engineering change in 2013;  They had to improve/add an additional ground strap on the final PA sub-assembly.   Issue solved.    I am unaware of anyone (knowledgeable/cluefull/following instructions) that has had any trouble or reliability issue with the 991 in 2015 and 2016 manufacturing runs.   It is a great little radio.  One of my friends beats the crap out of a 991 in portable ops with wire tossed over trees, pushing high watts in digital modes for hours on end.   Zero issues there too.
Try one, you will like it.

And, you don't need to pay $500 extra for the "A" model that simply comes with
a second IF board for realtime scope display.   I don't think that alone is worth
half-way toward doubling the cost of a great little radio.   But a regular 991 model
and enjoy it.

Neal

Neal
KD8UEI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:55:33 AM »

I have a 2016 model and have not had any problems. I'd stick with the 2016 manufactured radios, but I do believe the issue has been solved. You can read the eham reviews and pretty well deduce the range of dates of manufacture where there have been problems. 2016 models are safe as are the early models.

I am very satisfied with my 991. It is a fine radio with a great receiver. It is a lot of radio for the money, and I'm going to have to grow into it. VHF/UHF and System Fusion are just icing on the cake.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »

There WERE issues with the built-in antenna tuner. 
Mine had a problem that was resolved with a firmware update.   
This is a fairly straight forward procedure which can be done by the user. 
Sure, the 991 got off to a rocky start, but it has turned out to be a good radio
(I suppose there are those who would disagree but that's fine)
I use mine mostly on VHF and UHF.

WB2EOD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: