Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RAY DOBSON IS A SCAMMER!!!  (Read 3042 times)
N2HBX

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:00:12 AM »

I was contacted by a "Ray Dobson" regarding a radio I have for sale.

I should have been suspicious of the broken English that his emails were written in, but I went through to the point of getting payment. Guess what?

He's using the "I'm sending you more than you asked for, wire the balance to such-and-such" scam.

The emails are coming from "joerbn72@googlemail.com"

Needless to say, I cut him off at the knees and advised him not to contact me again. I have saved all the emails though, and with any luck, I might still get his payment in the mail. Then I can sink this SOB over mail fraud.

Watch out for this "alpha-hotel"!!
 Angry
Larry, N2HBX
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »

I can't believe these scammers are still using that tired
old format...must still work for them I guess. There are some
awfully good fake cashier's checks and money orders
(usually from a real credit union) coming out of Eastern
Europe and Romania these days.

Never confirm a draft (cashiers check, MO, whatever) by calling the number
listed on the check, it's a boiler room op. Look up the
real phone number of the credit union or financial institution
on the Net and ask to speak to the fraud control people.

DO forward his emails with an explanation
to abuse@googlemail.com. One less free account
he can't use. I know, a drop in the bucket.

A general warning about checks of all kinds:
Please be aware that there is big difference between a check
being cleared and a check being paid. Just because
three days later your ATM balance shows that money in your
account, it doesn't mean you're home free. "Cleared" means nothing.
"Paid" means the bank HAS THE MONEY. In effect, when you sign
the back of that check, the banks is giving you an unsecured
signature loan for that amount until that check is actually PAID.
By law the bank has up to a year to come after
you if it is determined that the check is faudulent.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

Anybody who sells or buys ANYTHING via the internet is going to get these replies. The best thing to do is to ignore them and pass the information along so others will be aware.  Hopefully, when their success rate drops low enough, they will move on.   
The less these characters know about you, the safer you will be.  Replying with any information such as a mailing address or even a P.O. box may be dangerous.  You may be dealing with crude amateur thieves, then again THEY may be working for violent and dangerous professionals.   
If you really want to 'have a little fun with them', suit yourself.       
KE5ZZY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »

I too received the same email today 7/30 for a radio I have listed.   I hate to see these creeps infiltrating.
If you know anyone that is selling something ham related here or on any other ham site you, I ....we should
pass the word on this guy. 

KE5ZZY 
N4NCT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »

Thanks For the Heads Up, I have a Scanner for sale and I received an Email from Ray Dobson also, Like you said, Broken English and he said he would have his shipper pick it up, I am glad I checked here First.....

N4NCT
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »

That is funny, but still happening...I even had an suggestion by my buddy in FL to do a wire transfer...

No thanks..bad enough they come from AF, but not doing one with anyone, CONUS or otherwise...bad enough I got scammed in an alternate method, but don't to try my luck with a wire transfer....

KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »

i had a guy offer me the same deal when I was selling my car.. and I was like.  'you are in europe.. the car (Worth about $500) is in USA... are you sure?"
he said he was.

of course I got the 'check over the amount' routine.. I said sure.. I can do that.. but I'll need to hold the check for a minimum of 30 days before I can release the car...   

he never replied back.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »

I sold a tuner once on ebay.  Had a offer from someone who wanted to pay $100 more than the asking price using a money order or chasier's check.  On my ad it stated "Payment by PayPal Only, no cashier's checks, money orders, personal checks, credit cards however you may use your credit card on PayPal."  That way I was covered for any fraudulent activity regarding my sale.  This guy wouldn't take no for an answer and after 3 times I had to bounce his emails.  I sold it to a REAL ham in California.

"TRUST NO ONE", X-Files Poster

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KI6LBE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »

ray dobson replied to my ad and the 2nd email made me think that it was smelly. i opened eham net to see what this place has about the guy and comments popped up. i asked his call sign on my 2nd email i'm not sure what he will say. 
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 07:26:12 AM »

I had a fella try and pull this scam on me before.  I convinced him to send me his phony checks via overnight.  He spent about $40 to get them to me in under 24hrs Smiley  I had them send me the check to my office (police department).  I wonder what his associate thought when he drove by to pick up the radio and "excess" funds.  Funny, I never heard from that guy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: