The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Battery  (Read 1664 times)
AC7CW

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2016, 02:01:37 PM »

Hmm... article talks about many years of service, low cost, non-flammable, and cheap. https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2016/11/02/making-high-performance-batteries-from-junkyard-scraps/

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 03:40:59 PM »

Hmm... article talks about many years of service, low cost, non-flammable, and cheap. https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2016/11/02/making-high-performance-batteries-from-junkyard-scraps/
Nickle-iron cells are low cost and long lived.  Been around forever and use KOH.  The key is very high energy density.  No mention of it with the new cells.  Cheap is cool, if it out performs LiO with higher energy density.  Space needed and weight are important factors.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »

NiFe are not good on energy density. Otherwise, they have a lot going for them.....
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 06:00:35 PM »

The battery under discussion is "steel and brass" with a lye electrolyte, after undisclosed but critical surface processing of the metals.

That is not a Nickel-Iron cell, fwiw.

The energy density of the new battery seems respectable. The lack of information on the mysterious "anodization" of the surfaces or produce critical nano-magic, and the lack of any discussion on the effects of alloy content (steel and brass both covering many alloys) make it seem like a tease to attract investors, rather than a bona fide research announcement.

The fact that so many new battery chemistries are being explored with so many results, just means that we don't really understand the physics or electricity very well yet, at all.
AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 02:06:37 AM »

..... just means that we don't really understand the physics or electricity very well yet, at all.

Cold fusion?  Thousands of people trying for free energy with Tesla coils?  String theory? Science primarily documents what we have observed.  It isn't great at predicting things we have not seen.  Newton was great until we noticed those annoying atoms.  I'm betting there are few things we have not yet observed and the laws will be revised accordingly.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »

They don't seem to be going for investors. From the article:

“We’re forging new ground with this project, where a positive outcome is not commercialization, but instead a clear set of instructions that can be addressed to the general public. It’s a completely new way of thinking about battery research, and it could bypass the barriers holding back innovation in grid scale energy storage”

The provide some technical info: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/acsenergylett.6b00295/suppl_file/nz6b00295_si_001.pdf

I don't have a barn to play around with anodizing and all that, it's a messy process, the chemicals have to be disposed of properly but if I had a farm and some solar panels I might play with this..

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:19:54 AM by AC7CW » Logged

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »

The steel grade given in their article and the brass analysis given while not having show a project developed to the point of characterizing materials for maximum effect does provide a definitive pointer to their original raw material.

KF7CG
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 01:11:26 PM »

..... just means that we don't really understand the physics or electricity very well yet, at all.

Cold fusion?  Thousands of people trying for free energy with Tesla coils?  String theory? Science primarily documents what we have observed.  It isn't great at predicting things we have not seen.  Newton was great until we noticed those annoying atoms.  I'm betting there are few things we have not yet observed and the laws will be revised accordingly.

Cheesy My home planet was destroyed by our foolish attempts to harness vacuum energy. Now the planet just sucks.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: