Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging Software packages  (Read 2217 times)
NI0Z

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »

What's the latest cream of the crop of logging software?  Here is what I am interested in knowing more specifically.

Integration with QRZ, eQSL and or LoTW
Integration with my radio to grab the frequency and auto populate UTC ect (Power SDR)

Additional goodies:

PSK31 Support
Server integration like CommCat
Other cool features
Band and DX and Propogation info

Anyone using CommCat latest est version, heard great things about it!

NI0Z

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/

I'm doing everything but QRZ logging with DX Keeper and the rest of the DXLab suite of software. It's free, well supported and extremely useful. Lots of room to grow as you discover features that you hadn't noticed or understood at first. Logging is real quick since the software knows what frequency and mode I'm in. LotW and Eqsl support is flawless.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »

What's the latest cream of the crop of logging software?  Here is what I am interested in knowing more specifically.

Integration with QRZ, eQSL and or LoTW
Integration with my radio to grab the frequency and auto populate UTC ect (Power SDR)

Additional goodies:

PSK31 Support
Server integration like CommCat
Other cool features
Band and DX and Propogation info

Anyone using CommCat latest est version, heard great things about it!

DXLab is a free-ware suite of 8 applications that can operate independently, but detect each other's presence and interoperate automatically. You can start with one or two applications, e.g. transceiver control and logging, and then add others in whatever order you choose; the DXLab Launcher lets you download and install a DXLab application with a couple of mouse clicks, and provides a single point of control for the suite. A PC with a dual core processor and 2 GB of RAM running XP or Windows 7 will yield good performance, but there are plenty of users running DXLab on older Pentiums with 1 GB of RAM.

Besides the usual logging, transceiver control, DX spot collection and digital mode features you'll find in most applications, DXLab provides many additional capabilities - but keep in mind that you can learn these capabilities step-by step as you add applications in whatever order you choose:

- controls up to 4 transceivers, with optional transceiver selection by frequency

- supports transverters for 6m, 4m, 2m, and 70cm operation

- can direct a secondary transceiver or receiver to follow the primary transceiver's frequency and mode

- interoperates with SDR Consoles used as panadaptors (e.g. SpectraVue) or skimmers (e.g. CW Skimmer)

- provides 10 banks of 10 memories, with the ability to continuously scan a bank's frequencies

- as you QSY, displays frequency-dependent settings for devices like tuners, amplifiers, and antenna switches, with optional control via parallel port signals

- provides user-defined transceiver control sequences initiated by up to 16 buttons and up to 8 sliders, as shown here

- provides both map-driven and callsign-driven operation of all commercial PC-controllable rotators

- can display a translation for up to 50 "QSO phrases" in the languages likely used by your QSO partner based on his or her DXCC entity; more than 60 languages are supported

- tracks confirmation and verification of QSOs for DXCC, TopList, and WAZ awards, highlighting needed DX spots, automatically generating outgoing QSLs that request confirmation of needed QSLs, identifying confirmed QSOs for submission to the ARRL DXCC desk, and generating DXCC submission paperwork

- highlights DX spots needed for the annual CQ DX Marathon award, and generates the required submission spreadsheet

- reports progress towards DXCC, TopList, Challenge, VUCC, Marathon, WAS, WAC, IOTA, WAZ, WPX, USA-CA, Canadaward, Holyland, DOK, WAE, WAB, DFM, SRR, RDA, WAHUC, WAIP, WAJA, JCC, JCG, and AJA awards

- synchronizes with LotW and eQSL.cc, initiating upload and download operations with a single mouse click without requiring the user to manually invoke TQSL, deal with ADIF files, or use a separate application

- extracts address information from all 3 CDROM callbooks and QRZ.com (free with advertising, or no advertising with subscription)

- provides one-click access to more than 80 web-accessible sources of QSL information

- directly prints QSL labels and 4-to-a-page QSL cards - with or without a background image

- directly prints addresses on envelopes or labels

- provides operations that can alter many logged QSOs simultaneously without requiring the user to modify ADIF files -- e.g. performing callbook lookups on already-logged QSOs, or adjusting the start times of QSOs logged during a specific time range, or extracting QTH information from COMMENT fields, or...

- captures DX spots from up to 6 sources (telnet clusters, packetclusters, DX Summit), creating and maintaining a local database with one entry for each active DX station that is color coded by "need" and LotW/eQSL participation, and whose entries can be independently filtered and displayed in a table, on its world map, and on a zoomable bandspread

- optionally announces needed DX spots, and includes a web server that makes all spots browser-accessible from anywhere on your home network

- extracts QSX frequencies from DX spot notes, enabling accurate transceiver setup for split frequency operation with one user action

- captures solar and geomagnetic data from WWV spots and uses this data to display easy-to-understand QST-style graphical propagation forecasts, and to depict the auroral oval on its world map (choice of VOACAP, ICEPAC, or IONCAP propagation forecasting engines, all of which are included)

- monitors user-specified NCDXF/IARU HF beacon schedules to rapidly calibrate propagation forecasts with actual propagation

- decodes all PSK31 or PSK63 or PSK125 QSOs within your transceiver's bandpass and extract callsigns to create and maintain a "stations heard" window

- simultaneously runs soundcard RTTY (using the MMTTY engine) and an optional external modem (e.g. a KAM or PK232) to provide diversity decoding or the ability to simultaneously decode a DX station and callers

- supports PSK, RTTY, CW (generation only), and Phone (voice keying) with a single user interface and macro facility

- interoperates with MultiPSK, MMSSTV, MMVARI, MMTTY, MixW, Fldigi, DM780, HRD, DX Atlas, and CW Skimmer

- is updated with user-suggested features frequently, and downloads/installs upgrades with a single mouse click

- is driven by an active and friendly user community open to everyone

User-reported defects are generally corrected within 24 hours. At this moment, the number of reported but uncorrected defects across all members of the DXLab Suite is 0.

DXLab is available here

- reference documentation is available in both html and pdf format here

- task-oriented documentation is available here

Dave, AA6YQ
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »

Well I guess I'll be #3 for a full hat trick for suggesting DX Lab Suite.

Like Dave AA6YQ (DX Lab Suite author) listed above, there isn't much that DX Lab Suite can't do regarding computerized ham shack for logging and rig control. I've used it for several years now and have nearly 10,000 QSO's in my log and use it almost everyday. I have it integrated to recieve logging data from some of my other programs I like to use once in a while, namely MixW for digital modes and N1MM contesting software.

I think if you take a look at DX Lab Suite, starting off slow if your not comfortable using a PC with ham radio interfaces and build your knowledge base, you'll find it will do anything you can ask of it.

Good Luck in your search for a logging program. 

P.S. Thanks to Dave for the continued support and improvement of DX Lab Suite.

73 to all,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: