Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Pactor - Signalink USB  (Read 3648 times)
NS8Q

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »

I hear a lot of Pactor on HF, especially 30 meters.  Does anyone know if there is any FREE software out there that supports Pactor, both transmitting and receiving?

Chris

KC8CAJ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »

Receiving PACTOR 1 with a soundcard interface is doable and, is implemented in MixW.  Transmitting requires some tight timing which does not lend itself to a non real-time OS like Windows (in any flavor).  The one transmit capable program that I know of is HFTerm which, unfortunately, only runs on Linux.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »

The only Pactor or Amtor mode you can transmit with a sound card and Windows application is FEC (mode B). As stated, the timing consistency of Windows is not accurate enough to support ARQ (mode A) transmit.
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »

WINMOR is becoming very popular in the Winlink2000 circles.

Its an alternative to Pactor, does not require dedicated TNC, it can just use a typical digital soundcard mode setup like your Signalink USB, and it can approach somewhere between(1314 bit/s) which compares very well to the patented and proprietary Pactor II(700 bit/s) and Pactor III(2700 bit/s) in speeds without the need to buy a $1000 TNC that is only available from one company in europe.

http://www.winlink.org/WINMOR
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:22:12 AM by WS4E » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »

Receiving PACTOR 1 with a soundcard interface is doable and, is implemented in MixW.  Transmitting requires some tight timing which does not lend itself to a non real-time OS like Windows (in any flavor).  The one transmit capable program that I know of is HFTerm which, unfortunately, only runs on Linux.

I have done it with a MultiPSK and PTT control. Not gonna happen with a vox keyed usb sound link with any OS.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »

Well maybe Pactor is something I should forget about.  Ive started experimenting with Feld Hell.  This is one nice thing about this hobby...there are many modes to choose from!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »

Well maybe Pactor is something I should forget about.  Ive started experimenting with Feld Hell.  This is one nice thing about this hobby...there are many modes to choose from!

If you want to set up a Feld Hell sked let me know.  KG4RUL
FH#2549
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:16:55 AM »

Sure thing...do you want to try for this coming Wednesday after 7pm??  I am unable to get on 80m but I can use 40 if that works for you?  Well I should say I can tune the 40m antenna on 80m, but I have to keep it below 10w output and only on the lower end of the band.  If we could swing 40m or higher, that would be better.

Chris
KC8CAJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: