Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you just miss a "clean sweep" in the 2011 CW SS contest?  (Read 3240 times)
WA4IIF

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »

For those 2011 CW SS contest participants who just missed a "clean sweep": what section(s) eluded you? I missed having a "clean sweep" by two sections: the NWT (which I heard but couldn't work) and NNY.

73, Chuck (WA4IIF in NFL)
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:32:53 AM »

VE4 and VY1...
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »

Traditionally I have missed SB and NWT. I think that happened to me a couple years in a row. I also remember in the distant past having troubles with SD and/or SD.

In past years I had heard VY1EI working others and tried some S&P CQ'ing nearby but never got lucky. This year I got him when he was running a frequency for a minute or two and then moving up.

I was worried I would miss MB this year but amazingly enough in the last hours I worked all of VE4DR, VE4MG, and VE4YU.

The pile-ups I heard on the VE4 that was running and not zipping around a lot, were hellacious. There has to be a better way to let the rarer sections run a frequency. What was happening in the sweeps just is not right, dozens of stations all calling in near perfect zero beat. I don't know what to suggest except split but I don't think I've heard split in the sweep.

I've read VY1EI's soapboxes and am quite impressed with his operating technique. He's not trying to be hard to find, that's actually him being most productive in the way he works the contest.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »

This is my sections by count worked from my QTH in MD:

worked once: DE NE NL NNY NWT SB
worked twice: AB AK AR KY ND NLI OK SC VT WMA
worked 3 times: ENY LAX MB MS NNJ PR RI SK
worked 4 times: CT LA MAR MO NV PAC QC SD VI WPA WY
worked 5 times: EWA ID ME ON SDG SFL SJV UT WTX WV
worked 6 times: AL BC IA KS ORG SNJ
worked 7 times: GA MT NFL SF WCF
worked 8 times: EB MI WNY
worked 9 times: NM
worked 10 times: EMA EPA SV
worked 11 times: NH
worked 12 times: OH
worked 13 times: IN OR
worked 14 times: NC NTX
worked 15 times: AZ
worked 17 times: IL TN WI
worked 19 times: STX
worked 20 times: CO
worked 22 times: WWA
worked 26 times: MDC MN SCV
worked 29 times: VA
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »

Nope.  Nebraska was my last section.  PAC and NWT were the only two sections that didn't call me (although I called a ND station, another one later called me).

The zero-beat "problem" on VY1EI is due in large part to the DX cluster and skimmers.  I'm actually perfectly happy to have everyone piled up together like that because it gives me a chance.  It's a bigger pain when they're all calling me in little old MDC and I can't copy any of them and none of them stick around for the next QSO.
W8FN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »

Missed NT, as usual. Last year I was lucky and managed a sweep. This year, back to normal. Score 989 X 79 SO low power non-assisted.

Randy, W8FN
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »

I did sort of an experiment this year. I decided to work just one band (15M) to see how well I could do and if a clean sweep on one band would be possible with low power (100W) and a Force 12 C3S yagi at 40 foot. Well I almost did it. Got 74 of 80. Needed AL, AR, ID, UT, NWT, SC. Never heard any of these 6 at all. Wish I could have traded in some STX for the needed ones. Had plenty of STX Q's to spare Smiley Ended up with 223 Q's for 33,004 point. Definitely not a winning score but hell of alot of fun!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »

Missed Nebraska.

I heard several, but they were all doing S & P, as was I.
Couldn't find one sitting still and calling.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 03:08:13 AM »

I usually go for score in CW SS and not worry about the sweep. So, for the past three years in a row I did not get the VY1 and so missed NWT. A multiplier is only worth about 10 QSOs in SS, spending 45 minutes chasing the VY1 would have reduced my score.

This year my second toughest was MO for some reason. In years past NE was my last before VY1.

For SSB SS, I will go assisted and look for the sweep, as I don't usually spend as much time on the air in this one and want to get a new coffee cup!

73, John K3TN

John K3TN
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 12:07:01 PM »

Ran QRP and still got 79 sections, using just wire antennas. Missed NT. Never even heard one.

BTW, thanks to all the sharp-eared ops out there who worked me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: