Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-8800 accessory port  (Read 2019 times)
K4IDK

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »

I've got an odd problem, and I'm not even sure where to put, but this seems like the right place.

Anyway, I got the program and cable that I needed to set everything up so that I could load multiple FT-8800s with the exact same data in a hurry.  So I finished cloning the first radio from the computer and everything looked great until I removed the accessory cable and after that the radio would not turn on. 

The situation that I have right now is that the radio will turn and looks fine as long as the cable is plugged in the accessory port, but when it's not there the radio will not turn on. 

Any suggestions???  I've reset the radio by going to "all reset" and with no channels loaded in it I can't turn it on without the cable from the computer plugged into the back of the radio.  I re-loaded all of the data that I'd put in, the frequencies, CTCSS codes and whatnot, and then the same thing; cable in, the radio will turn on, cable removed, it won't turn on.
K4IDK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:24:36 PM »

Well, it just got weirder.  By the time that I'd posted the initial question and went back to fiddling with the radio, it will now come on just fine.  But now the left side is fully loaded with everything, and the right side is stuck on 430.00 when in "memory" mode and , but works fine in VFO mode. 

I've already gone through the steps on pg. 24 of the owner's manual to lock or unlock the knob, but I still can't change the frequency away from 430.000 and channel 1.  It's like the computer only programmed one of the receivers!

K4IDK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 04:26:53 PM »

OK, never mind.  I DID only program the left memories!  So all is well in radio land again.

Damn, computers can really hurt my head sometimes. 
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »

As you see, it is good to stay away for a bit and rethink the problem, which you did by posting.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »

I have come full circle on programming these radios.....    Started out doing it manually, Then got the computer interface and loaded hundreds of memory channels in both sides of the radio, Mostly VHF in the left side and UHF in the right side.     
And ran into a number of problems with so many channels in memory.......   I wound up putting most of them on channel scan "skip" only to discover a quirk of the otherwise GREAT Yaesu FT8800.....  When in mobil use, Sometimes the apparent voltage surge at vehicle start up can mess up the radios memory, And take lots of those channels that were on "skip" out of that mode, So you have to manually go through the whole thing again.....
(My computer program did not allow me to put memory channels in the "skip" mode)   And trying to scan with hundreds of memory channels programmed is about impossible unless the unwanted ones are in skip.....
In the end, I have found it much better to simply program the radio by hand, The old slow old fashioned way.  Doing so forces you to really learn how to operate and program the radio. You will no longer be stuck with having to dig out the owners manual to do something with it.   I now find it much easier to simply program in new repeaters etc if travelling than trying to find them in some obscure memory channels and taking them out of skip mode.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 07:20:54 AM »

Do yourself a favor and buy the G4HFQ software. It works much better. I also have the one that programs the FT-857D, and the FT-60R.

http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/

de NA4IT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: