Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why steal a dipole ?  (Read 70752 times)
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »

Grin Grin Grin   Reading these threads I would guess a neighbor.

I am not sure where the disease has caught on but they will ruin you any way they can. Disease ? People worried about their property values. It is legit concern but these people hate anything on any property unless it is hidden totally.

I had this neighbor who would even mow his lawn constant in the snow. Not one object ever on the property. Wires in trees or ??

They complain to the towns/cities and people have to follow up and YES..unsightly wires..ropes...or ?? are guilty. You can argue about your amateur radio rights and pay for attorneys and all that stuff. This town of 60,000 (have not looked up of recent) has a ton of amateur's but you will not see one visible amateur antenna in the town.

I have ranted prior and people think I am nuts. The disease will spread and past/present amateur radio antenna rights ? sure... If you are rich and keep up mint looking property with nothing on it visible (I mean even a lawn chair or garden hose) maybe you will be lucky. BUT terrible looking antennas ? Yes. Antennas for amateur radio with its various frequencies have an ideal model and appearance. Nothing unsightly.

AGAIN..my guess...your neighbor...

WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 04:19:48 AM »

Grin Grin Grin   Reading these threads I would guess a neighbor.

I am not sure where the disease has caught on but they will ruin you any way they can. Disease ? People worried about their property values. It is legit concern but these people hate anything on any property unless it is hidden totally.

And, this is in Connecticut?  I'm relocating to upstate NY, and looking for ways to weed this mentality out before I close on a house.  I'm thinking 5 acres in the woods will do it.  And a big dog.
K9KUZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:12 PM »

Thanks for all the input.  After analyzing all of your comments, I have concluded that the thief was either 1) high on drugs and needing more, or 2) looking for some solid copper.  Now understand that I live on 5 acres of densely wooded terrain, but within the city limits.  My neighbors cannot see the dipole even when there are no leaves on the trees.  There's been a few thefts in the neighborhood the last few months, including one home break-in.  I do live next to a huge public park/golf course. My neighbor, an LEO, says that living next to a large park is the problem.  Nuff said. 
VE9AAE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 08:37:34 PM »

You've just given me an excellent idea!

A variation of the Slinky Dipole, perhaps a copperclad Concertina Dipole.  Nothing says "don't touch" like razor wire and on the plus side it might just have a wide bandwidth (I'm thinking something like a cage dipole).

Let me know if anyone tries it out.  Grin
NC6K

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »

Q. Why don't crooks steal verticals?
A. There's no gain in them.

Sorry, couldn't resist (no pun intended).

NC6K
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »

Why steal a dipole?

Because somepeople will steal ANYTHING!

My anatomy prof's wife worked in a Women's Health
Clinic. One of the displays in the lobby was about how
diaphragms are used for birth control.

Someone started stealing the "Display" diaphragms,
so the staff punched holes in the "display diaphragms"
to make them useless.

The REALLY funny part is that one young lady came in
for Birth Control, and was prescribed a diaphragm and
given instructions in how to use it, etc.
Sure enough......six months later she somes back pregnant.
What happened?
She saw that the diaphragms on display had holes punched
in them, but hers didn't....so she punched holes in her diaphragm!

Talk about not understanding the theory.....
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

uh, because they couldn't get the tower hidden under their hoodie?
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »

You need to buy a big gun and let the punks in the area see it when you are oitside.I just picked a S/W 44 Mag. When I get out of the car I always have it with me. The theive punks down the street and the ones walking down the middle of the street see it. I have never had a problem here but several others in the area have.
W4HLN

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »

Just found out bare copper here in Kentucky runs around 3$ a pound and 2 railroad spikes will get you about $1.20...Aluminum siding / gutters or radiators will bring about 2 bucks a pound.

A Catalytic Converter from ANY car will get you from 50$ to 90$ each! Converter thieves here are frequent and EVERYWHERE!

I gotta clean out my garage LOL!

Ernie / W4HLN
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »

I sure don't mean to add insult to injury, but police chiefs around Kentucky have been emphasizing lately that if people would just lock their vehicles, about 80 to 90 percent of thefts from vehicles could be eliminated.

Sorry you lost the clubs but you were lucky to get them back.

N4KZ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »

Q. Why don't crooks steal verticals?
A. There's no gain in them.

Sorry, couldn't resist (no pun intended).

NC6K

!!!!!
N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »

Lots of out of work people out there doing things the normally would not.  A lot of idiots out there to that will steal anything.  A few weeks ago a guy was turned into a crispy critter by trying to steal a copper electrical service line off a transformer.  He thought it was off.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »

Our cable TV was out for 24 hours after thieves cut and stole the fiber optic cable from the headend.
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »

electric fences makes for good neighbors.

Pole pigs work even better.......
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: