The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cw testing  (Read 1741 times)
KD5ZER

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2004, 04:58:05 PM »

Next week I am going to take the cw test and I need to know something.Can you take a sending test if your hearing is bad?You see,before I got into ham radio I liked to get out and shoot guns and that did a number on my ears.Now I cant even hear people next to me.Some people say no but,in my tech book it says you can.So, can anyone tell where I can find the info.I have already checked the fcc and arrl sites plz some one help me out!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 05:55:41 PM »

If your hearing is so bad that you cannot hear code signals in headphones, then you also would not be able to hear voice signals -- at all.

Did you intend to operate only digital modes using a keyboard and monitor?  If so, this is a pretty good question...

I know a number of completely deaf hams who work CW by placing their fingertips on a speaker cone and feeling the vibrations, although that's a pretty old-fashioned method.  There are probably higher-tech methods now, and you might look into what those are.

WB2WIK/6
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 09:09:48 PM »

Check with the specific VE team in ADVANCE for the test that you are going to.  If you just walk in and spring it on them, it won't be possible.
N6ILS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 03:14:28 PM »

I'm just guessing, but if I were a VE, and didn't know you, I would require some pretty objective evidence that your hearing is really that bad.  I would be very suspicious of this type request.  The VE's do have latitude with examees that have physical limitations though.  If you provided medical documentation that indicated your hearing loss history dating back several years, then that might be worth considering.  

So put yourself in the VE's place, what would you accept?  Like the earlier post suggested, talk to the VE well in advance, and ask them what they require for physical limitations and how they would test you.

Good luck
AB0SI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 10:56:26 PM »

Alternative testing can be made available. For example, the VEs could use a flashlight to send the code test.

Apul

AB0SI
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 11:41:30 PM »

Not sure if a medical waiver would apply in you case,
the fact that you want to take the cw test gets you a thumbs up from me !

73 james
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 09:22:34 AM »

Medical waivers are not allowed for 5wpm since this is slow enough it can be passed by alternate means.  One of the reasons that the code requirement went to 5wpm across the board was that the waivers, which only applied to 13wpm and 20wpm, were abused.  Even then, one still had to take and pass the 5wpm to be eligible for waivers for the higher speeds.
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 11:24:32 PM »

I think his bio says it all.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 07:11:42 PM »

Agreed with N0UY
SIREX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 11:43:15 PM »

Just study for the test and pass it.  If you can talk on CB and 2m and hear that then you can hear the code.  Besides you can use headphones and turn the volume up.  I learned the code in 4 weeks and got solid copy.  Just count your lucky stars you did not have to go thru what the old timers went thru. 20 WPM Holy Moly!!  If you want something go for it, study, work hard and you will make it. Don't try to find ways around it. Just put the effort you put in to finding a short cut towards studying and you will have it. Good luck!

Shayne, AA9FU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: