Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I did it!!!!  (Read 382 times)
N8TNJ

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2004, 12:18:33 PM »

I would like to thank everybody that replied to my posting "learning code" way back in April. I kept with it, and when I felt like throwing my tapes and CD's out the window I would go back and reread all the postings over again. Then as of 06/19/04 I passed my 5 w.p.m. on the first try!!!! Again THANKS to everybody that gave me that much needed push!
              N8TNJ/KT
KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 01:24:13 PM »

Congratulations! I hope you get the courage up enough to actually DO some CW! All you need to do is send out your CQs at the speed you feel comfortable with  receiving. Most hams will respond at the speed you transmit so don't get scared, and if you tell them that you are new to CW, they'll understand.

73, Pete KA3RFE
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 04:28:56 PM »

Congratulations!!!!

Lon
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 04:35:56 PM »

Congratulations.

Yup give it a try on air.  The CW people will be happy to have you.

Check out the FISTS website at http://www.fists.org/.  They have a "code buddy" program to help you get more comfortable on the air and improve your speed.  They also have calling frequencies where you can find FISTS members to "talk" to.

Do try to get your code speed up.  Lately much of the DX has been hanging out in the cw portion of the bands due to the poor propagation.

Try a contest.  It's stressful for someone new but it is a blast.  Even if you have to listen a dozen times to get their call before you jump in, it's rather thrilling to do.

DXing and contests will help to increase your code speed and ability.
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 05:00:46 PM »

N8TNJ, congratulations on passing the code test. You proved that if you want it bad enough, and if you don't give up, that you can learn code and pass the test. Don't allow yourself to get rusty. Code is a skill worth having. Use it on the air.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 04:06:01 PM »

Congrations.  As others have noted, get on the air and use it!  It will seem tedious at first, and you will want to quit.  But let me tell you this: once you make that first contact, even just exchanging RST, you will find yourself looking at the key every time you come into the ham shack.  By the time you make five contacts, you will be asking folks here how to increase your code speed.  At ten contacts you will be addicted.  

So don't put it down, don't quit.  

Go forward.  

And as another note, doesn't it feel 'GOOD?"  You set a goal, you accomplished something, personal achievement. It's that great?  Much better than sitting around saying "I don-wanna."  Now, find another rung on the ladder and go on up.

ed
NJ0E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 09:30:48 AM »

congratulations to you!

as others have mentioned, consider using your newly
acquired skills on the air as soon as you can, so
you don't forget the characters and to gradually
build speed.

an excellent place to work on your code speed is in
the novice segments:

80m: 3675-3725 khz
40m: 7100-7150 khz
15m: 21100-21200 khz
10m: 28100-28200 khz

these days, 10m and 15m open infrequently; you'll
probably have the most success on 40m and 80m
(80m is noisy during the daytime but quiets down
somewhat at night; it's actually much better
in the winter, but i make contacts on it even in
the summer).

i was the second cw contact for 2 different hams
last night in the 40 meter novice band. don't be
discouraged if you don't hear much or any activity
in that segment; just push out some cq's and
someone will come across your signal.

scott nj0e
KA2DDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 08:24:33 PM »

Don't be afraid to answer a cq from someone who is sending faster than you. Don't be afraid to chase dx because speeds in the pileup are faster than what you can send. Just call the other station. If you have a problem copying him just say "pse qrs" and 99 times out of a 100 he/she will qrs.

New hams I know who remain intimidated by speed never do have the fun they could with cw or ham radio in general. Just keep plugging away and if you hear me on feel free to call me and say hi at any speed you care to do. Eventually your speed will increase to more comfortable and faster levels.

Good Luck,
Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: