Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RADIO UPGRADE  (Read 1737 times)
MC1955

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »

GOOD AFTERNOON,IM LOOKING TO UPGRADE FROM  MY TS140S,IVE LOOKED @AFT767GX,
            DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT.ITCOMES FROM A SILENT KEY,FULLY OP.,WITH ALL MODULES
             FOR 500.00,IF I CAN GET THE GOOD,BAD ,UGLY ON THIS RADIO,WOULD BE VERY HELPFULL,THANK YOU DANTE
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:55 PM »

GRAB IT!  The radio had a MSRP of almost $2300.00!  Every report I've ever read on the radio praised it.  It's a very popular radio.  Good luck!
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:20:49 AM »

Dante, $500.00 seems a bit much for an old transceiver. Yaesu FT-450's can be found for the same price and is a 1or 2 year old modern radio with IF DSP.  lots of older rigs in good shape in the $ 300.00 range. Just my opinion.  Cheers Scott.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:39:50 AM »

It was a good radio in its day but it is getting very old and my concern is if it malfunctions it could be very expensive to fix and become a 500 dollar door stop or paper weight. I have owned three different TS-140's in last 22 years (using one mobile now) and never had one go belly up on me.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »

The 767 was a very deLuxe radio and a very good one.  Lots of them still on the air.

The "problems" I've heard of were:  Main tuning dial encoder going bad (it's replaceable and not very expensive); and VHF-UHF modules malfunctioning.  If you are interested in only HF, then the VHF or UHF module issue won't bother you.

I'd much rather have a used 767 than a brand new FT-450D or many other new "small" rigs.  Better performance, more versatile, easier to use, more intuitive.

$500 is a rather amazing deal, these usually go for quite a bit more than that.

But I'd "try it out" first to assure it actually works!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »

The modules themselves are worth $100 a piece or so, probably more for the 70cm module.  That is a pretty good deal overall.  Has a few things up on the TS140 like a built in tuner, built in keyer, CW filter is standard.  Digital SWR and PO meter.

73s John AA5JG

I think the FT-767GX absolutely blows away a TS-140S in every possible respect except portability.  If I had both, I'd never turn on the TS-140S.

The 767GX, besides being simply a better performer in every way that can be measured, has better TX IM3 (-40 dB), making it one of the "cleanest" transmitters ever produced by the "big three" companies; a built-in AC power supply; a built-in automatic antenna tuner; IF shift and notch; a real speech processor; and a CAT interface to allow computer controlled operation.  This was, in the late 1980s, a highly desired "contesters" rig for a couple of years.

I'd gladly pay $500 for one right now if I could verify it's in working condition, even without any VHF modules. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: