Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't get the ARRL test software to work in Win. 7  (Read 4031 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »

I have attempted to install this software, version 1, in two machines with Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and I get the error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007b). Click OK to close."

Anyone have any ideas?  I emailed ARRL a while ago with no answer, this is a nearly new computer.  Problems seem to be with any version, Tech through Extra.  When I try Google, all I get is a load of LoTW problems, none on this.  I posted in another sub forum here with no answers.  This is the software that comes with the books you study to pass the tests.

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »

Personally I would forget about the software that came with the book and buy a program called FivebyFive.  It's made by a company called Dauntless Software and HamExam.

I believe the price is around $20 but it takes you all the way up through extra and even into the commercial exams.  Updates are free for life when you purchase and register it.

http://www.hamexam.com/

Let me tell you, it works.  I'm currently studying for my extra and I can now answer the first 280 questions correctly the first time.  It's a breeze to use and it makes learning the material fun.  I tend to retain the information better with this software than just reading it in a book.

73 es gud luck,

Chris / KC8CAJ

I just checked the website out and they price is now $30 for just the amateur tests plus you get a free license to a pilot licensing program.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:18:22 PM by KC8CAJ » Logged
WB4CVB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »

Try install XP Mode either by Microsoft Virtual PC or VMware Player, both are free.  I know it works in XP.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »

Another vote for Five by Five from hamexam.com. Best of all, it's all loaded on your PC so you don't need the internet.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:48:16 AM »

If you are really dead set on using this software, when you attempt to install it, close the automatic installation window.  Then click on 'my computer', then the installation drive, and find the installation file.  RIGHT click on that file, and when the window comes up, click on either "troubleshoot compatibility" or on "install in compatibility mode", whichever comes up.

What this will do is make Windows 7 install the software emulating an earlier version of Windows.  Depending on your Windows 7 version, you can pick the previous Windows version you want to install the program under.  After you install the program, right click on the start menu program item, then click 'run under compatibility mode', then click on the same Windows version the program was installed under.  From then on, when you start the program, Windows 7 will start it automatically under compatibility mode. 

Caveat:  This isn't a guaranteed fix, but will allow most programs made to run under the various Windows versions back to Windows ME or Windows 98 SE.  There are some programs that this will not work with, however, and the only way to find out is to try them.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:58:28 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I already tried all of the tips posted above with no success and I don't have the ability to install XP as a virtual machine since they validate and I don't have any spare copies around.  VMware looks like it might get around this so I might try that.

I also have had no problem passing the earlier tests with ARRL software so I really don't want to buy another package, especially as I bought this with the book just to get the software.  I now am stuck with 2 copies of the book.  My guess is that they don't understand 64 bit computing or that their programmers just don't care.

I guess the biggest annoyance is that ARRL is ignoring me and this software is not rocket science.  Writing something this simple should never have a problem as basic as this.  I guess I'll just go back to an old computer in the basement to use.  This definitely biases my opinion on ARRL.  My membership will not be in the mail.

Thanks again.

Sam
W9KDX
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I already tried all of the tips posted above with no success and I don't have the ability to install XP as a virtual machine since they validate and I don't have any spare copies around.

You don't need to buy a copy of XP.  Microsoft makes available to Windows 7 users a free copy of XP Mode that you can run with Virtual PC:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

Thanks for the XP tip.  I just might get this working after all.  You guys are a phenomenal resource.

Sam
W9KDX
WB4CVB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »

You didn't say what version of Windows 7 you have?  If you have Professional or above you can use Microsoft Virtual PC which can be downloaded with XP Mode.  If its  one of the 'Home' version Virtual PC won't work and you must use VMware Player for XP Mode.  Player is better but its your choice.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 05:41:53 AM »

You didn't say what version of Windows 7 you have?  If you have Professional or above you can use Microsoft Virtual PC which can be downloaded with XP Mode.  If its  one of the 'Home' version Virtual PC won't work and you must use VMware Player for XP Mode.  Player is better but its your choice.

Thanks.  I won't waste my time with Microsoft; I'll go to VMware.

Sam
W9KDX
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 06:03:03 AM »

Won't you need an XP license if you go with VMware? The free Microsoft virtual PC with XP works well and is easy to set up but I have heard that VMware is a little better.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 06:24:25 AM »

Won't you need an XP license if you go with VMware? The free Microsoft virtual PC with XP works well and is easy to set up but I have heard that VMware is a little better.

I am not sure, but a poster above said that I can get a free copy of XP Mode so I 'll be trying that and see.

Sam
W9KDX
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 06:31:17 AM »

I am not sure, but a poster above said that I can get a free copy of XP Mode so I 'll be trying that and see.

Yes, I did it recently, it works.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 05:20:44 AM »

Yes, I did it recently, it works.

Which one do I install first, VMware or the XP Mode?

Sam
W9KDX
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 05:55:15 AM »

VMware is commercial software. What you want (if you can get it) is the free XP mode and Virtual PC from Microsoft. It is free to users of Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. Not sure about other editions.

Get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

If you go the VMware route, you'll have to purchase the software (I think) and have a valid XP install disc or image and activation number.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: