Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging Date Format: DDMMYR?  (Read 2160 times)
K3ZL

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »

I notice that most DX cards I receive the date format is DD-MM-YR.  I use HRD for logging, the computer cofigures the format to automatically be in MM-DD-YR here in the US.  I upload my logs to LOTW and to eQSL.  So, if my uploaded files are in US regional format, wouldn't that mean that electronic cards might not find a match date wise, and would result in no confirmation? 
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »

That is very possible.

Most common accepted format I have seen for years is either DD-MMM-YY, where MMM is 3 letter month abbreviation or DD-MM-YY, all numerics. Trying to avoid anything US-centric for dates, such as the standard US format of MM-DD-YY, should make your QSLing life easier.  I have used the DD-MMM-YY format for years and it has become second nature for me when doing QSL cards to do it that way.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »

Agree. 08-NOV-2011 is the format I use on cards (and, of course, UTC for time). You'll also find some stations abbreviate the month using Roman numerals.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »

There should not be a problem with LOTW matches. The ADIF standard for DATE should assure this.

8 Digits representing a UTC date in YYYYMMDD format.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »

I just ordered some new QSL cards (my first reorder in 20 years) and I changed the format to agree with the rest of the world.  Day, Month, Year.  I still keep my logbook using US format, however.

Chris/NU1O

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 03:45:29 AM »

The good news: In a couple days it will be 11-11-11 !!!

Work all your DX on that day.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 04:11:36 AM »

One more vote for DD MMM YYYY; my log (an MS-Access database) stores the date in its own mysterious way but I can have it formatted any way I like on the way back out to LOTW and QSL cards.   The formatting string I use for most things includes "UTC" before the time, and looks like this:  "UTC "hhnn  dd mmm yyyy

I actually thought using arabic numerals for the day and roman numerals for the month was pretty sensible, but with the rise of computer logging, I haven't seen that format in use in a long time.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 05:24:45 AM »

The good news: In a couple days it will be 11-11-11 !!!

Totally confusing. How will we ever know which "11" is the year and which is the day or the month???  Huh
N3YZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:01:30 AM »

Web developers have been frustrated with this difference for a while.

The W3C says:

"Visitors to a web site from varying locales may be confused by date formats. The format MM/DD/YY is unique to the United States.
Most of Europe uses DD/MM/YY.
Japan uses YY/MM/DD.
The separators may be slashes, dashes or periods. Some locales print leading zeroes, others suppress them. If a native Japanese speaker is reading a US English web page from a web site in Germany that contains the date 03/04/02 how do they interpret it?"

73! John, Annapolis, MD
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »

For the life of me I could never understand why the USA decided to use MM/DD/YY !!  It's so counter intuitive.
Why then did they not follow the same logic and use the time format 45:12PM ?
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »

It might have been because mail was very slow way back when we became a country?
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: