Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevy/GMC 1500/2500 and a FT-857, where to mount radio???  (Read 6044 times)
VE3PLO

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »

Hello guys,
just purchased a two year old chevy 2500, it will be my work vehicle and something to carry my 2.5year old daughter in.
The dillema i am facing is that this vehicle absolutely is not Ham friendly, there is no room anywhere to mount the face of my 857. Any of you have any pictures or experience whre to mount one?
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:17:51 AM »

We really ought to make this a banner at the top of the Mobile forum's page:  "Have a look at www.k0bg.com for a wealth of information on HF mobile operations and installations, including lots of photos of other installations that will give you lots of ideas."    :-)

I've got a radio slightly larger than your 857 (a 706) in my tiny econobox of a car; I bet you'll find a good place to install the 857!   Look at the photos on Alan's website and you'll get a hundred ideas!  73 GL!
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:41:25 AM »

I've attached a couple of links to my IC-7000 installation in my GMT900 truck platform, in this case a 2007 Chevy Tahoe.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/TwoSevenRight/IC-7000.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/TwoSevenRight/ic-7000_1.jpg

It's hard, but not impossible to find a location.  It's a given that it's going to be a "face off" installation.  Use a RAM mount to hold the head, and mount the radio on the back wall of the cab, or perhaps under the seat.  In my latest vehicle, I mounted the radio on the passenger side wall of the console.  For my tahoe, I mounted the RAM mount to a piece of 3/4" plywood that was cut to fit the junk tray in the console. In one of the pictures, you'll notice my FT-8900 mounted up on the dash.  For that I used automotive grade RTV silicone (Permatex, I think) to glue the RAM mount to the top of the dash.  Although firmly in place, a careful razor blade slice will separate it from the dash when I replace the vehicle some day.  To get power thru the firewall, I chickened out and took it to a car stereo shop. For a hundred bucks (including wire and parts) they ran the wire for me, dressing it right to the desired location.  I still have no idea how or where they ran it.  It's just really clean with big 70 amp Anderson Powerpoles on the radio end.  It can be done. You just have to think outside of the box a little.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:42 AM »

It can be done. You just have to think outside of the box a little.

Actually, you need to think *inside* the box (the vehicle interior).

Often with these discussions we hear I can't put the radio here because of this, and I can't put it there because of that, and there's just no way I can put it over there.  

The current example - "this vehicle absolutely is not Ham friendly!" - is a full size pickup!  Seriously?

Fitting a KWM-380 in a smart car is a challenge.  Fitting an 857 in a full size pickup is a walk in the park.  Rather than approach it from the perspective of where it can't go, decide where it will go and make it happen.  It's no more difficult than that.  If it involves a task you can't do or skill you don't posses, deal with that as a separate problem, not as an impediment to the end result.  

I view ones' vehicle as an extension of the hamshack, and given the number of hours one typically spends driving over the years, having a nice looking and nice working setup is worth a bit of time, trouble an expense to implement well.  Decide what it needs to look and work like when it's done and work backwards from there.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:40:50 AM by K5LXP » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »

Oh, Mark! Isn't that the problem nowadays? Everyone, so it seems, wants instant gratification. Any install that takes longer than a Sunday afternoon, is too difficult!

When I did the install in my 2006 Ridgeline, it took me close to 4 hours just to wire up the #2 cable runs front the front to the rear, and it wasn't my first dance! All told, I think I spent about 20 hours, over a 6 day period. This didn't include the hours it took me to fashion the antenna mounts out of Delrin.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »

I have installed  radios in several vehicles over the years, and K0BG's site gives you lots of ideas.

In my 2000 dodge intrepid, I used self tapping screws into the side of the plastic consol  and angled the face to where I could see it.  I will use the little plastic plugs to cover the holes I made if I sell the car. 

in my current truck the first time I made a stack of equipment with oversized  tin plates ( home brew mounting brackets to stack the radios on the hump)  But now I am going to reinstall some different radios and I will just drill some holes up under the dash.  I also use the bed rails to mount antennas and run a DK-3 in the bed itself.

And my adult daughter says that the radio in the car bothers her leg when she is riding with me and my answer is ," I never ride on that side, it doesn't bother me a bit....."

So look around and remember , nobody is going to care if you drill holes on the underside of the dash, or put holes in the bed rails for antennas, it is a truck after all.  Worry about the cosmetics when you sell the vehicle....
VE3PLO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:25:58 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for all the great suggestions, to the pric*s that think i can't do it, i have to bow and say "i mislead you with my initial post".
I have all the wires run, power wire, both antenna wires, etc. It is all ran through the firewall, through one of the rubber plugs, everything is attatched every 10 inches with a cable tie. I have everything ready.

What i was looking for, or asking for, is an idea where to mount the face unit. The body of the actual radio is no problem.
It is a bog truck, and yes, i am thinking inside of the box:)

The dash of this truck is pretty busy, with knobs, buttons, curves, etc...
I will be putting on about 120 000 miles on that truck in next two years, and after that, selling it - thus i would not like to silicone/glue anything permanently to the dash.
VE3PLO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:38:31 PM »

N6AJR: That's a healthy approach! Smiley I
Outside i have mounted both of my antennas on the "back rack" the sides of the bed will hold two aluminum toolboxes, so no place there for the antennas.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »

What i was looking for, or asking for, is an idea where to mount the face unit.

Where does it *need* to go?  It should be in a place that you can see, is sturdy, doesn't obstruct important controls or leave cords dangling where you will get tangled up in them.  The last reason to pick a spot is because it's convenient or it "fits there better".

I will be putting on about 120 000 miles on that truck in next two years

The vehicle will have lost most of its residual value by that point but if you want to make it part of the installation criteria then that's fine, it just takes more work.  There's custom bracketry you can fabricate, custom stereo mounts you can modify, to buying replacement dash or console parts and modifying those, then reinstalling the stock ones when it's time to sell.

The *last* person I think of when I do an install is the *next* owner.  I'm the one driving it today and it doesn't add any value to my life to keep a vehicle factory-stock.   Custom stereo guys do this stuff all the time and it's not considered "damage" when they do it, nor will it be when you do a nice HF mobile install.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »

Here are a few pictures here in a GMC Sierra Hybrid.  This truck has a row of batteries under its back seat which blocked me from installing the radio there.  Also, the remote head cable only reaches so far. 

Anyways, this setup in theory would cover 80M through .7M with two antennas.

I have had serious noise issues with 80m-40m while moving that I am still working on.  Grounding and ferrites have help with some issues such has engine whine, however I still have what I call broadband white noise across those bands.  15M - 6M and 2M/.7m work very well so far.

First thing I would do is take a shortwave radio if you plan on HF and check your bands while driving around and see what you will be fighting.

I plan to put a flap of plastic or cloth over the radio to protect it from childrens feet and or rain.

http://am4l.com/stationkansas/index.php/articles/41-rolling

The article is not complete and more pictures are at the bottom of the article.

NI0Z

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »

I've had some experience in quieting ignition noise from my Silverado V8 5.3L and earlier 4.8L.

I don't know what you may run into with hybrid ?

73 Tony N5UD
KF7RMF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »

I have a 2005 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab and surprisingly there is a lack of usable real estate in the cab, so thanks to my wife, she recommended mounting it inside the center console. I drilled vent holes and mounted an external speaker. Works perfectly and the only thing you can see is my mic. I know it's not a 857 but there is plenty of room in there for one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Tobizzo/003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Tobizzo/004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Tobizzo/005-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Tobizzo/007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Tobizzo/100_5737.jpg
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:48:21 PM by KF7RMF » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: