Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RM Italy Amplifiers  (Read 11135 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »

I was wondering why the folks at E-Ham would not alloy postings and comments of RM Italy amplifiers in their product review section on RM Italy amplifiers but they allow distriubuters to advertise the same product  on the home page.

Several years I tried to post a review of the HLA-300V and was told they don't allow reviews of CB amplifiers.

So which is it? Is RM Italy now in good graces?
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »

Are they FCC approved?
If not, they don't belong here.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:22:46 AM »

Now things get sticky! Is this an international board or not?

To restrict advertisements and reviews on to FCC Type Accepted can definitely be interpreted is rather parochial. What about all the Amateurs in the rest of the world and the amplifiers approved by their governing bodies?

Now what are the rules this board has to operate under with regard to reviews, ads, and the like as set by the FCC and whomever else has legal control of board content?

Interesting question indeed. We are not U. S. limited, nor even U.S. Canada, and Mexico limited.

KF7CG
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:10:26 AM »

I see where HAMs from all over the world post here.  It should not matter if the FCC approves them or not.  Reviews should be allowed, however the reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.  Very few (if any) HAMs who will post reviews have the equipment to fully evaluate them.  Most reviews will be based strictly on person opinion, power output, and reliability.

Dick  AD4U
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:20:09 AM »

You might be surprised by how many of us have spectrum analyzers and facilities to run two tone tests.

Allowing or not reviews of kit sold legally in non US markets is of course a decision that only the site owners can make, and I can see arguments both ways, especially given the problems in America with 10/11M kit, and the FCCs subsequent rather heavy handed clamping down on RF amplifier sales to the point that it sometimes takes extra electronics to stop the things working there.....

Regards, Dan.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:34:29 AM »

And if you are based in US, international or not you are best to follow US FCC rules too. I think it is a wise decision by owner(s)

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:27:51 AM »

Are they FCC approved?

RM Italy amplifiers do not pass FCC requirements.

They also cannot make the advertised power levels by a considerable shortfall.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »

Just for some other perspectives; another board World Radio is open to anything.
Illegal amplifiers are being marketed, services asked about by the CBers and a lot of arrogance.
Those people have no idea nor do thay want to hear about it for any reason.
Poor amplifiers on the amateur bands  can be 'heard' from anywhere not just from the US.
Ever hear the Europeans argue between themselves being so close to each other in those countries? It's funny to hear but it's just as serious an issue with dirty amplifiers, and 2000 + watts being used by some stations and a lot of disrespect.
Some that hang on the WR board sometimes refer to this board and another board for being hostle to them.
Does anyone have to wonder why?
A CBer in FLA was caught by  FCC field people who inspected the station and found 'both' amplifiers and radio still warm from uses. An NAL of $10k has been issued.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »

Now things get sticky! Is this an international board or not?

That is a great point. If those amp are allowed outside of the USA, then I do not see any reason for to not allow hams outside of the USA to comment and review on those. We as Americans need to understand that our rules do not apply outside our country. They may have an entirely different set of rules outside the USA. For that reason, we should just let it go.
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »

$10K? Good start, but they need to do it more often (and actually manage to collect the fines).

Actually for the most part CB has never really caught on over here (UK) (there was a brief period in the 80's, but it mostly died), and our CBs were FM only, not AM or SSB so while harmonics and people turning the deviation way up were sometimes an issue, IMD was not to anything like the same extent.

A standard (Illegal to use) CB amp over here was a simple class C affair, and while there were a few KW jobs around, they never really caught on (The vast majority were in the hundred watt class), and most CBs ran barefoot on 4W.

Kind of difficult to see much improvement in amateur service stuff when the new Eagle manages just -19dB below one tone (25dB below PEP) IMD3 on transmit and is sold perfectly legally, maybe we should be looking to our own house in the matter of transmitter occupied bandwidth?

I am all in favor of keeping the board tightly focused on amateur radio, but lets not pretend that our transmissions are any kind of benchmark for technical performance, or that the standards mandated for commercial transmitters for amateur service do not set the bar (in my view) way too low.

Keeping the CB crowd unwelcome helps to keep from being swamped, which is a valid reason the do it, but hiding behind a small number who run illegal rigs is disingenuous.

Regards, Dan.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »

Are they FCC approved?

Do they meet FCC requirements at lower drive levels, with the use of external band filters,
and at reduced power output?  It would be nice to know the limitations of these amps,
and whether they have ANY redeeming use on the ham bands if operated at more
conservative ratings. I did read your comments regarding "endless" odd order IMD products
on the webpage Smiley.

Pete
ZL4IV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »

North America has one of the lowest passport holders per head of population in the western world, this reflects some comments made here, very inward looking. Amateur Radio is an international interest so why would the international internet be bound by the FCC? There are more strict regularity authorities out there and some are less so. Rule of thumb should be, if its used by hams then there should be a review. I am sure if its a piece of junk the review will reflect that and less people will purchase it.

ZL4IV   
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »

I was wondering why the folks at E-Ham would not alloy postings and comments of RM Italy amplifiers in their product review section on RM Italy amplifiers but they allow distriubuters to advertise the same product  on the home page.

Several years I tried to post a review of the HLA-300V and was told they don't allow reviews of CB amplifiers.

So which is it? Is RM Italy now in good graces?

Years ago when eHam initially went live on the 'net W4AN gave each volunteer manager pretty much autonomous carte blanche for running their content area of the site. 

Articles, news, reviews, classifieds, etc. each has a different volunteer content manager.  This also goes for managing the financial, advertising, and technical aspects, etc.

So the content policies of any one site area won't necessarily coincide with site advertising and/or any other manager's content policy.

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager - but not advertising...  ;-) 
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »

Are they FCC approved?

Do they meet FCC requirements at lower drive levels, with the use of external band filters,
and at reduced power output?  It would be nice to know the limitations of these amps,
and whether they have ANY redeeming use on the ham bands if operated at more
conservative ratings. I did read your comments regarding "endless" odd order IMD products
on the webpage Smiley.

Pete

They have too much gain, and they have automatic RF keying.

A 150 is (or was) advertised as 300W PEP, and it goes non-linear at about 100 watts or so. The larger ones follow about the same pattern. The HLA300 is OK at 200 watts PEP.

The microprocessor exceeded part 15 spurious limits in the amp I tested. It actually QRM's some Ham frequencies. :-)

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »

North America has one of the lowest passport holders per head of population in the western world, this reflects some comments made here, very inward looking. Amateur Radio is an international interest so why would the international internet be bound by the FCC? There are more strict regularity authorities out there and some are less so. Rule of thumb should be, if its used by hams then there should be a review. I am sure if its a piece of junk the review will reflect that and less people will purchase it.

ZL4IV   

The internet at large is international, but this one is based in the U.S.

Most of us here have no idea what the rules are in other countries, unless we go there and ask.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: