Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD and QRZ lookup again  (Read 8253 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:36:40 AM »

Oh well, it appears that QRZ changed something in the lookup that will not allow HRD to extract data. This appears to be the case as of Nov 8. Now, when Simon owned HRD, he usually fixed this immediately. I do not think that will be the case with these new owners.

I would typically just get the subscription service for $30, but I don't use even the allotted free lookups of 150 per day. It does not appear that QRZ had changed the free lookup system, either. It appears to still be 150 free. So the problem is that HRD will likely have to update their software to correct it. Good luck with that.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:07:59 AM »

Yep, noticed the same thing and had the same thought -- will be interesting to see if a fix appears.
WA2AAR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:17:15 AM »

There is nothing wrong with the look up. You will have to join QRZ to have you look up in HRD to work. The changed this about a month ago. So if go and join your look up will work again. For the service that they give us ham it is worth the price that they charge.

73's
Bob - WA2AAR
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »

here is nothing wrong with the look up. You will have to join QRZ to have you look up in HRD to work. The changed this about a month ago. So if go and join your look up will work again. For the service that they give us ham it is worth the price that they charge.

This changed on Nov 7, because I have everything in the QSO up unitl Nov 6.
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »

Here's what Fred (QRZ) said when I spoke with him:

It was a routine change of the QRZ database display that caused the
problem.  It affected the "free QRZ lookup" users only.   

This is the lesson.  Any program that depends on the QRZ page layout is
doomed to eventually fail because QRZ reserves the right to alter its page
layout at any time.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »

This is the lesson.  Any program that depends on the QRZ page layout is
doomed to eventually fail because QRZ reserves the right to alter its page
layout at any time.

Anytime? This is the 5th time they have done it this year. I am starting to wonder if they do it on purpose to simply make the logger developers go crazy. They did not do this in 2010 as I recall.

W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »

Fred asked me to remove the free callbooks lookups from QRZ and I complied. He made his case about the overhead that QRZ gets from the non XML hits and why the free call lookups were causing issues with the site. This is only with the lookup programs that 'scraped' the site for calls. Fred will be blocking any others that try to 'fix' their programs to scrape the site.

The current free version of HRD will support XML subscription lookup. Version 5.1 will support XML subscription lookups. There will also be support for other sites who's content is free and that will be supported in 5.1.

The bottom line, at the request of Fred LLoyd, QRZ owner, free lookups in HRD to QRZ will not be supported
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »

The bottom line, at the request of Fred LLoyd, QRZ owner, free lookups in HRD to QRZ will not be supported

OK. I don't have a problem with and will pay the subscription.

But why not just make an announcement? Instead, they say nothing and let all the logging programs look like they have bugs or failures. Go to the HRD forums and see people uninstalling/reinstalling and trying to figure out what is wrong, when nothing is wrong.

QRZ is showing arrogance and a disservice to the loggers and their programmers, and to hams in general. Just announce it and say you have to pay, and be done with it. But to make everyone guess and go crazy, is very unprofessional, and and really left a bad taste in  my mouth. And I am sure as word spreads, there will be more people that will not be happy.
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »

I went from here to QRZ to the HRD forum.  It's posted in all three places...

Dunno why Fred didn't post an announcement...  you can send him a message and ask him.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »

W4PC,

Thank you for YOUR service. I am just sorry I had to hear it from you, 4 days after the problem started. I do appreciate that you put an end to this mess, that really did not exist. I am not going to bother with Fred. Not impressed with him right now.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »

I have on several occasions discussed this matter with Fred AA7BQ, proprietor of QRZ.com. He has no problem with logging applications that use QRZ.com to provide free callbook access so long as QRZ.com's advertisements are displayed, thereby maintaining his revenue stream. Perhaps HRD's new owners will implement this, or alternatively extend HRD to interoperate with Pathfinder, which has been providing free QRZ.com access while displaying its advertisements for more than a decade.

The changes to QRZ.com's format over the years have been made to improve its appearance and usability. None of them, including the one made a few days ago, have required more than a few minutes of work in Pathfinder to maintain free access.

Dave, AA6YQ
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:23:05 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »

After running HRD and the Logbook for a while and doing no QRZ.COM lookups manually, I receive a "service usage exceeded" (or something similar) message if I attempt to do a manual lookup.

Is this related to this change or something else? It used to work OK.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »

After running HRD and the Logbook for a while and doing no QRZ.COM lookups manually, I receive a "service usage exceeded" (or something similar) message if I attempt to do a manual lookup.

Is this related to this change or something else? It used to work OK.

For some time, QRZ.com has imposed a limit on the number of lookups a "free" subscriber can make per day; the last time I checked, this limit was 150.

Dave, AA6YQ
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »

Same thing happened to me using CQRLog for Linux. And I'm a paid subscriber to QRZ.

I'm confident the software authors will fix this soon enough.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »

I'm confident the software authors will fix this soon enough.

"Soon enough" was weeks ago.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: