Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan W7KFI to activate Johnston-Atoll  (Read 9970 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 04:09:31 PM »

The bulletin I saw said the Air force (as does her web page) so maybe that's changed.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »

Some looking around on Wikipedia stated the Air Force retained terrestrial authority over Wake and Johnston Is., Fish and Wildlife the waters surrounding.

"The Pacific Remote Islands National Marine Monument was proclaimed a national monument on January 6, 2009 by U.S. President George W. Bush.[1][2] The monument covers 86,607 square miles (55,428,480 acres, spanning areas to the far south and west of Hawaii: Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, Howland Island, Baker Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, and Wake Island. At Howland Island, Baker Island, Jarvis Island, Palmyra Atoll, and Kingman Reef the terrestrial areas, reefs, and waters out to 12 nautical miles (radius) are part of the National Wildlife Refuge System. For all of the areas, fishery-related activities seaward from the 12 nmi (22 km) refuge boundaries out to the 50 nmi (93 km) NMM boundary (about 100 nmi (190 km) square across) are managed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The land areas at Wake and Johnston Atolls remain under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Air Force, but the waters from 0 to 12 nmi (22 km) are protected as units of the National Wildlife Refuge System."
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »

Some looking around on Wikipedia stated the Air Force retained terrestrial authority over Wake and Johnston Is., Fish and Wildlife the waters surrounding.

"The Pacific Remote Islands National Marine Monument was proclaimed a national monument on January 6, 2009 by U.S. President George W. Bush.[1][2] The monument covers 86,607 square miles (55,428,480 acres, spanning areas to the far south and west of Hawaii: Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, Howland Island, Baker Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, and Wake Island. At Howland Island, Baker Island, Jarvis Island, Palmyra Atoll, and Kingman Reef the terrestrial areas, reefs, and waters out to 12 nautical miles (radius) are part of the National Wildlife Refuge System. For all of the areas, fishery-related activities seaward from the 12 nmi (22 km) refuge boundaries out to the 50 nmi (93 km) NMM boundary (about 100 nmi (190 km) square across) are managed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The land areas at Wake and Johnston Atolls remain under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Air Force, but the waters from 0 to 12 nmi (22 km) are protected as units of the National Wildlife Refuge System."

Good info!
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »

I talked to Susan yesterday on our local 40 meter net and she said it is the Air Force that has say on ops there. I asked her if she was ready for some massive Pile Up's. She said she will answer FULL CALLS ONLY. and the QSL route will be thru KH6CG.
So good luck everyone.

Roland AH6RR
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »

She said she will answer FULL CALLS ONLY.

I'd like to see more of that.

I was listening to VP8LP the other day and some guy was repeatedly calling with just the last two. He finally gave his full call and Bob came back to him right away. I later looked at Bob's QRZ page, for no particular reason, and saw that he had posted the following:

Please Note: VP8LP does not respond to people who call using only their suffix.

Good operating tip would be to give your full callsign once, then listen 4-5 seconds to see if I have heard you or am replying to someone else before you make a second call.

I consider stations who call - call - call repeatedly without pausing to listen to be QRMers and will be ignored.

Jack
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »

I am really excited to try and work Johnston Atoll. This should be a good one. My only disappointment is that she doesn't use LOTW.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »

FYI:
I received an update from Susan, W7FKI, and it appears her departure will be delayed by a few weeks. The update didn't give any specific dates but indicated some requirements by the USFWS are needed to be done to the boat. She said the delay would be about 6 weeks due to a backlog of similar work in Hawaii, but again it doesn't indicate any particular dates.

She does say she would be unable to leave Hawaii Jan. 15th.
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »

Here's her site:

http://w7kfi.com/

"NEXT STOP....Johnston Atoll...KH3....permission from USAF finally received....anticipate arrival late Jan 2012.

Then V7  (Majuro, Republic of Marshall Islands), V73 (Kwajelein), Tarawa, and who knows."
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 01:43:38 AM »

Official word: http://dx-world.net/2011/kh3-w7kfi-johnston-atoll/
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 07:29:10 AM »

Interesting reading. I was there with the USAF 1st AACS Mobile very late 1950's. USAF net running old Collins gear on military freqs. I won't be in the pileup.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »

Interesting reading. I was there with the USAF 1st AACS Mobile very late 1950's. USAF net running old Collins gear on military freqs. I won't be in the pileup.

I recall when I first started working DX, most of the U.S. Pacific Islands were staffed (manned).
If not all. Used to have nice rag-chew QSO's with these guys.
I would run phone patches too. Even for the Navy vessels in the Pacific.

73 Tony N5UD
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 12:22:41 AM »

I recall when I first started working DX, most of the U.S. Pacific Islands were staffed (manned).
If not all. Used to have nice rag-chew QSO's with these guys.
I would run phone patches too. Even for the Navy vessels in the Pacific.

73 Tony N5UD

I just submitted a bunch of QSO credits for my old KJ6BZ contacts in the 70's. It was nice in those days to have Wake, Marshall, Johnston, Kure, and others available from the USCG Loran and other military outposts.

John K7KB
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »

Bump for more information...

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »

Bernie activated KH3 not too far back - so have it on all band slots between 80 - 10M. KH3/KH6GMP also had activated that back in 2002.

Funny how something becomes so rare and sought after with an admin change!

Now - I think KH1 - Baker / Howland is more rare than KH3 . . . .

And KH5K even more rare yet . . . .
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »

Bernie activated KH3 not too far back - so have it on all band slots between 80 - 10M. KH3/KH6GMP also had activated that back in 2002.

Funny how something becomes so rare and sought after with an admin change!

Now - I think KH1 - Baker / Howland is more rare than KH3 . . . .

And KH5K even more rare yet . . . .

I would love to get Kingman, but if I don't, it wasn't meant to be. Perhaps the ARRL will just save me the misery by deleting it Smiley

John K7KB
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: