Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long life lamp!  (Read 1275 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »

I finally had to replace bulb in a high pressure sodium security lite I have. It was 19+ years old and has been non stop automatically during darkness and always worked puts out a amazing amount of light for 70 watts. I has survived 30 below temps, 100+ degree heat in blazing sun and 80+mph winds and even a lightening strike the destroyed breaker that powered it. It has had zero maintenance and is factory stock. Even the factory brown paint on it is not faded much.  Old bulb was still firing but was over drawing ballast and causing it to start to cycle on and off last few days.  It is hard to get to up and side of a tall pole barn and I was dreading the thought of have to replace fixture because nothing today matches its mounting holes. So, I took a chance and bought a new bulb for it. I was pleased to find that they actually cost a lot less today than many years ago, only 20 bucks. Installed new bulb and it is working again better/brighter than before too.  I am kinda amazed that it lasted as long as it did and only needed a bulb change. I have had other security lights but none that lasted like this one.  Bulbs are "rated" 24000 hrs  but I figure this one lasted at least 83000+ hrs of burn time.   

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »

Don't tell the store who sold it to you - they'll want the cash for the extra hours!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:25 AM »

http://www.centennialbulb.org/photos.htm#anchor1234

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Installed 1901. 110 years of near-continuous use and still going. Almost a million hours....(1 million hours is a bit more than 114 years).

The far end of the bell curve goes a long long way out...

73 de Jim, N2EY.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 07:06:41 AM »

Don't tell the store who sold it to you - they'll want the cash for the extra hours!

Store that sold me complete assembly is long gone. It was supposedly a commercial grade unit. 20 years ago high pressure sodium lights for home use where not easy to find because back then they cost 2 to 3x more than mercury vapor lights. (even though they make it up a in energy cost savings as a 70w sodium pretty much matched a 175w mercury in effective light output) I never cared for the "cold" look of a mercury vapor light either. Quiet too as it uses a series constant current ballast design.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »

My friend is going for that new LED lighting.  Costs a lot more up front, but should pay for itself in electrical power savings, and will probably outlast the owner!  Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »

My friend is going for that new LED lighting.  Costs a lot more up front, but should pay for itself in electrical power savings, and will probably outlast the owner!  Smiley

LED is way of future.  Sodium is still viable and the low pressure sodium lights still are most efficient lights made, at 200 lumes a watt they are about twice as efficient as high pressure sodium ( abt 100 lumes/watt) but low pressure produces a yellowish light. Best LED's made today approach 150 lumes/watt with  100 lumes/watt being more the norm.  Incandescent bulbs are in the 8 to 15 lumes/watt range. Mercury vapor about 40 to 50 lumes/watt.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: